New Headphones for gaming and everyday use?

I'm currently using a pair of Razer Electras, but after about a year of use, I've decided that I want an upgrade. The upgrades primary use will be gaming, with a bit of everyday use, such as music and listening to commentaries. I haven't owned any decent headphones before, so I'm really confused with what to get. I also want to do commentaries and gaming content in the future, so I'm still not sure whether I should get a headset now, for the mic on it, or headphones now and get an separate mic such as a Blue Yeti or Audio Technica AT2020. My current choices are the

Steel Series 9H

Sennheiser HD558 (With stand alone mic in future)

Or Audio-Technica AD-700X (also with separate mic)

My budget is about 250 dollars with an amp, as I want to get the most out of my headphones, and just for future upgrades if I get a higher impedance headphone. Thanks

I'm currently using a pair of Razer Electras, but after about a year of use, I've decided that I want an upgrade. The upgrades primary use will be gaming, with a bit of everyday use, such as music and listening to commentaries. I haven't owned any decent headphones before, so I'm really confused with what to get. I also want to do commentaries and gaming content in the future, so I'm still not sure whether I should get a headset now, for the mic on it, or headphones now and get an separate mic such as a Blue Yeti or Audio Technica AT2020. My current choices are the

Steel Series 9H

Sennheiser HD558 (With stand alone mic in future)

Or Audio-Technica AD-700X (also with separate mic)

My budget is about 250 dollars with an amp, as I want to get the most out of my headphones, and just for future upgrades if I get a higher impedance headphone. Thanks

My advice?  Buy a microphone and headset separately.  You will get much, much better performance.

For Microphone, look into the Blue Snowball series.  Excellent microphones for $45 and up.  I use one and I often get compliments on how crisp and clean my mic is.

For headphones, I am going to recommend something that you might not share the same views on.  Buy a budget headset.  When I say budget, I don't mean bad.

The Superlux HD668Bs are incredible headphones for the money.  You can't find a single negative review about them, and best of yet, they are only $30-$40!

Before my purchase, I did some research online and every single website had nothing but rave reviews for the Superlux HD668B.  Here are a few stand out quotes, I will link the full reviews below.

"On a budget, you'd be hard-pressed to find better sounding headphones for the money."

"You don't need to be an audiophile to appreciate these headphones."

"All in all, the HD668B is a kind of headphone that *wows* you the first time you hear it, particularly because of two things: its exceptional sound and its price tag."

Headfonia Review

Reviewed.com Review

Innerfidelity Review

Head-Fi Review

Amazon Customer Reviews

You can read my full review.

"I genuinely dislike the promulgation of false information, especially to people who are asking for help selecting new parts."

Thanks for the reply! But would a budget gaming headset improve sound quality over my Razers? I'm leaning towards an Audiophile Brand, because I want to hear and own headphones that have great sound quality, for something to compare to in the future. And I'll definitley look into the Blue Snowball!

My advice?  Buy a microphone and headset separately.  You will get much, much better performance.

For Microphone, look into the Blue Snowball series.  Excellent microphones for $45 and up.  I use one and I often get compliments on how crisp and clean my mic is.

For headphones, I am going to recommend something that you might not share the same views on.  Buy a budget headset.  When I say budget, I don't mean bad.

The Superlux HD668Bs are incredible headphones for the money.  You can't find a single negative review about them, and best of yet, they are only $30-$40!

Before my purchase, I did some research online and every single website had nothing but rave reviews for the Superlux HD668B.  Here are a few stand out quotes, I will link the full reviews below.

"On a budget, you'd be hard-pressed to find better sounding headphones for the money."

"You don't need to be an audiophile to appreciate these headphones."

"All in all, the HD668B is a kind of headphone that *wows* you the first time you hear it, particularly because of two things: its exceptional sound and its price tag."

Headfonia Review

Reviewed.com Review

Innerfidelity Review

Head-Fi Review

Amazon Customer Reviews

You can read my full review.

Thanks for the reply! But would a budget gaming headset improve sound quality over my Razers? I'm leaning towards an Audiophile Brand, because I want to hear and own headphones that have great sound quality, for something to compare to in the future. And I'll definitley look into the Blue Snowball!

I think so.  Gaming Headsets are often poor quality, I have never used those Razer's, but I have tried some at a Best Buy, probably not the same brand, but I wasn't impressed.

The guy in that video is a real audiophile, and while I don't agree with a lot of his views, he is correct about these headphones.  They are awesome.  Best sounding headphones for the price.

Definitely look into the Blue Snowball.  It is best to go separate headset and microphone.  Those 2 in 1s are often cheap.

"I genuinely dislike the promulgation of false information, especially to people who are asking for help selecting new parts."

Thanks again man! But would those superluxes beat out the other options I listed?

I think so.  Gaming Headsets are often poor quality, I have never used those Razer's, but I have tried some at a Best Buy, probably not the same brand, but I wasn't impressed.

The guy in that video is a real audiophile, and while I don't agree with a lot of his views, he is correct about these headphones.  They are awesome.  Best sounding headphones for the price.

Definitely look into the Blue Snowball.  It is best to go separate headset and microphone.  Those 2 in 1s are often cheap.

Thanks again man! But would those superluxes beat out the other options I listed?

Its such a personal choice, and I am not an audiophile.  I prefer functional products. 

My brother, who is a musician and has a Master's degree in music business loves his $200 Sony headphones.  I gave him my 668Bs to try out.  He ordered a pair as a backup he liked them so much. Now, he isn't going to denounce his $200 Sonys, I wouldn't expect him to.  But for a music professional to buy these, it carries some weight in my mind.

$40 is a small investment compared to $100 that those other options will run you.

For Microphone, look into the Blue Snowball series.  

Do you use a mechanical keyboard? i heard that mic picks up on typing very easily.

Do you use a mechanical keyboard? i heard that mic picks up on typing very easily.

I do not. And this is something that never occurred to me until now. The Mic is incredibly sharp, I wouldn't be surprised if it did pick up on a mechanical keyboard's typing. Some switches more than others.

I'm looking into buying a new mechanical keyboard later this year and this is now something I have to consider. Thank you for letting me see something I didn't see on my own.