G3258 with badass GPU?

Hey guys so this will be my first build. First of all let me say that I plan on updating my CPU really soon. Right now I just want to get my PC up and running. I am debating either the R9 290 or 290x or the GTX 970. I know these are super powerful so I'm just curious how much my little pentium will bottleneck them until I can upgrade. I will definitely be overclocking as well...even if I burn up the pentium it was free so I'm not that worried about it.

Hey guys so this will be my first build. First of all let me say that I plan on updating my CPU really soon. Right now I just want to get my PC up and running. I am debating either the R9 290 or 290x or the GTX 970. I know these are super powerful so I'm just curious how much my little pentium will bottleneck them until I can upgrade. I will definitely be overclocking as well...even if I burn up the pentium it was free so I'm not that worried about it.

In games that use one or two cores, the G3258 will perform just as well as an i5 at the same clock speeds. It will only bottleneck a 290x/970 when you play a game that uses 4 or more cores, like Battlefield 3/4 or Crysis 3.

"Rawr XD"

I will definitely be overclocking as well...even if I burn up the pentium it was free so I'm not that worried about it.

Please don't burn up a chip. It will also burn up your mobo. xD Regarding your concern, if you can overclock your CPU to 4.4Ghz or higher then it won't be a bottleneck(unless you're playing games that utilizes more than 2 cores/threads).

My Current PC Codename: Scrapper

Spoiler

Intel i5-3570 | Some LGA 1155 MOBO Some Generic DDR3 8GB 1600Mhz | PowerColor RX 560 2GB | Recycled HP Case Crucial MX100 128GB 1TB WD Blue 7200RPM | Some Generic 500w PSU | Intel Stock Cooler

If you get a decent oc, then it shouldn't bottleneck most games (there are some exceptions). However with future releases sporting DX12, it shouldn't bottleneck at all

Part of the Q6600 club

Thanks everyone for the replies! Totally new to PC...everything? So the help is much appreciated. Glad to know I won't be bottlenecked in most games. I'll be playing Archeage mostly which I'm pretty sure uses mutliple cores but we'll see how it goes. I do plan on overclocking as much as possible...but I know to be careful.

As long as you overclock it with a decent CPU cooler, you can use it until you have the cash for a 4690k/4790k.

Many people are doing this.

CPU: Intel Core i7-4790k | CPU Cooler: Noctua NH-D15 | Motherboard: ASUS Sabertooth Z97 MARK 1 | Memory: Kingston HyperX FURY 16GB 1866MHz | GPU: Gigabyte GeForce GTX 770 4GB Windforce

Storage: Samsung 840 EVO | PSU: CM Silent Pro 720W | Case: Phanteks Enthoo Luxe | Headset: Corsair Vengeance 2100 | Keyboard: Logitech G710+ | Mouse: Razer DeathAdder Chroma

"You see, one can only be angry with those he respects." - R. Nixon

As long as you overclock it with a decent CPU cooler, you can use it until you have the cash for a 4690k/4790k.

Many people are doing this.

I second this. A cheap after market cooler like the 212 will do fine.

It's smart guys to get the G3258, he can actually get this CPU for about 70$ and spend what he saved on a more powerful graphic card.

PC : | CPU: Intel 4790K | COOLER: Corsair H105 w/ JetFlo's Push/Pull | MOBO: EVGA Z97 Classified | GPU: EVGA FTW 4GB GTX 970 X2 | RAM: Kingston HyperX Beast 1866Mhz 32GB | CASE: HAF Stacker 945 | PSU: Corsair AX1500i | DISPLAY: Asus MX299Q | SSD: 2 X Corsair Neutron GTX 480 GB in RAID0 | mSATA SSD: Samsung 840 EVO 500 GB | HDD: 4 X Western Digital RED 4 TB in JBOD |

for single/dual core pogarms/games it will not be a problem things there use more than 2 cores will be a problem

I second this. A cheap after market cooler like the 212 will do fine.

212 is exactly what i got :)

Why not step up to an Athlon over the Pentium?

the pentium was free with a MSI z97 PC Mate so it was a no brainer

Why not step up to an Athlon over the Pentium?

Future upgradability.

the pentium was free with a MSI z97 PC Mate so it was a no brainer

Ah in that case, carry on. Free is a tough proposition.

Future upgradability.

Skylake will be compatible with Z97?

Instead just get an fx 6300 and the r9 or gtx. Really it's 30$ more and will do a lot better for you. (Lifeaspan, performance, and no bottleneck issues.)

Skylake will be compatible with Z97?

Probably not, but MSI might release a BIOS update for the Z97 PC MATE

Probably not, but MSI might release a BIOS update for the Z97 PC MATE

Then what future upgrades would there be? An older i5?

Then what future upgrades would there be? An older i5?

What do you mean?

What do you mean?

Well you said he would have an upgrade path.

If skylake won't use the Z97 chipset. What's his upgrade path in six months to a year?

Well you said he would have an upgrade path.

If skylake won't use the Z97 chipset. What's his upgrade path in six months to a year?

BIOS update to support Skylake or a Devils Canyon i5/i7

You can't rly add a badass gpu with this cpu.. the  R9 290, 290x,GTX 970 will bottlneck.... r280/gtx760 would be your most badass gpu to go with

The blood on to your heart start pumping faster when you notice me.

But is ok.

Judge me for my nickname, my avatar and for the low amounts of posts I have. I will keep your heart beat raised.

Let me jump into this. I am currently running a G3258 @ 4.5 with an R9 290 while I RMA parts for my main rig.

It plays BF3 at ultra 1080P multiplayer just fine but the frame rate is a good 40% lower (around 55-65 on 64 multi-player servers lowering the graphics settings does not improve this.) than my 3570k also @ 4.5. the situation is much the same for BF4 with the exception that I can use mantel to keep over 70-80 FPS on multi-player servers but once in a while say if a building comes down on me there will be a drop into the 30's.

So yes it will bottleneck the GPU by quite a bit but with the Z97 board you can upgrade to a k series i5 or i7 when you get the money and make that a non issue.

I'm GzeroD on steam if you want me too run some benches of games in my library so you can get a feeling for how it will perform ask and I'll run them tomorrow.

System CPU : Ryzen 9 5950 doing whatever PBO lets it. Motherboard : Asus B550 Wifi II RAM 80GB 3600 CL 18 2x 32GB 2x 8GB GPUs Vega 56 & Tesla M40 Corsair 4000D Storage: many and varied small (512GB-1TB) SSD + 5TB WD Green PSU 1000W EVGA GOLD

You can trust me, I'm from the Internet.

It plays BF3 at ultra 1080P multiplayer just fine but the frame rate is a good 40% lower (around 55-65 on 64 multi-player servers lowering the graphics settings does not improve this.)

That definitely sounds like a bottleneck.

I played GTA 4 on a underpowered CPU once, and even though it wasn't bottlenecked or anything, it still did the same. It pulled off 30fps on any graphics setting. Then you know the stress is too much on the CPU, the GPU can't squeeze more power.

Laptop: Intel Core i5-4200H, 8GB RAM, 750GB HDD, GeForce 840M

Desktop: Intel Core i3-6100, 8GB RAM, 750GB HDD, GeForce GTX 750 Ti