Weird CPU temps lately

So well i recently OC'd my 3770k to 4,5GHz on 1,3V

It ran fine for some days (80degrees max temp on prime95) using NH-D15 with nt-h1 as paste + 7 Noctua NF-A14 PWM Fans lol.

Today however when messing around in 3dmark i noticed strangely high fan noises

I saw temps sitting at 50degrees and ran Prime95, the temperatures skyrocketed to 90Degrees.

Something is really wrong i guess? Where should i begin?

Edit: The graphic cards had filled the case with hot air since the fans were offline for some reason i fixed this and temps are back, still however aren't these temps a bit high for 1,3V 4,5GHz 3770k? I just checked and i had the silent mode on Asus AI suite, dangerous stuff :/, did put it back to normal but topic still stands, are there temps a bit too high?

SeCK0c0.png

So well i recently OC'd my 3770k to 4,5GHz on 1,3V

It ran fine for some days (80degrees max temp on prime95) using NH-D15 with nt-h1 as paste + 7 Noctua NF-A14 PWM Fans lol.

Today however when messing around in 3dmark i noticed strangely high fan noises

I saw temps sitting at 50degrees and ran Prime95, the temperatures skyrocketed to 90Degrees.

Something is really wrong i guess? Where should i begin?

Some things I'd guess:

1. Are you sure it's still at 4.5 ghz right now? you might have changed it by accident

2. How long has the thermal paste been on there? The one that noctua includes isn't the best and after time it can cause some temp problems, just clean it off and apply new paste if this is the case.

3. Is there any massive dust issues in your case? Or cable clutter blocking airflow?

4. Has the temps in your area dramatically increased.

5. Have there been any bios updates that may be bugged for you? Check to make sure.

6. Or your chip may just be crapping on itself :/

Hope this helps!

Edit: I also find it strange that you saw that your cooler was loud. Nh-d15's are usually near silent even on full load.

Some things I'd guess:

1. Are you sure it's still at 4.5 ghz right now? you might have changed it by accident

2. How long has the thermal paste been on there? The one that noctua includes isn't the best and after time it can cause some temp problems, just clean it off and apply new paste if this is the case.

3. Is there any massive dust issues in your case? Or cable clutter blocking airflow?

4. Has the temps in your area dramatically increased.

5. Have there been any bios updates that may be bugged for you? Check to make sure.

6. Or your chip may just be crapping on itself :/

Hope this helps!

I updated my OP

Anyway

1. Yes it's sitting at 4,5 With no changes

2. For 5days max lol, i have 3 pastes the one that comes with the 212 evo cooler, Arctic silver 5 and NT-H1

3. No, cleaned 5 days ago.

4. Possibly but i've only been stress testing / messing around with 2 7870s on high voltages for 2hours or so but this could be a reason.

5. I updated one of my 7870s shouldn't be relevant i think.

6. I hope not :/

Edit : The noise isn't the NH-d15 it's the side fan that has a dust filter that causes turbulence or something it sounds incredibly loud at max, i don't know how to fix it without blocking dust :/

I updated my OP

Anyway

1. Yes it's sitting at 4,5 With no changes

2. For 5days max lol, i have 3 pastes the one that comes with the 212 evo cooler, Arctic silver 5 and NT-H1

3. No, cleaned 5 days ago.

4. Possibly but i've only been stress testing / messing around with 2 7870s on high voltages for 2hours or so but this could be a reason.

5. I updated one of my 7870s shouldn't be relevant i think.

6. I hope not :/

Just looked at some benchmarks, (don't have an nh-d15 laying around lol) and as far as I know the temps should be fine. I just looked at one with a 3770k at a 4.5 ghz oc at 1.35v with 240 rad plus 120 rad and he got around 86 degrees (guessing aio because if that's a custom loop... oh god)

Just looked at some benchmarks, (don't have an nh-d15 laying around lol) and as far as I know the temps should be fine. I just looked at one with a 3770k at a 4.5 ghz oc at 1.35v with 240 rad plus 120 rad and he got around 86 degrees (guessing aio because if that's a custom loop... oh god)

This is 1,3V though, generally going over 1,3 bumps up the temperatures and wattage drain like crazy.

But i guess i'm just gonna modify the fans a bit (all fans being offline on silent mode cept CPU is a bit retarded), the temps seem fine, staying under 80degrees shouldn't make any damage should it?

My cooling system is 3 exhaust (2 top 1 at back + 2 from the NH-d15) intake is 2 in front one from side one from bottom.

This is 1,3V though, generally going over 1,3 bumps up the temperatures and wattage drain like crazy.

But i guess i'm just gonna modify the fans a bit, the temps seem fine, staying under 80degrees shouldn't make any damage should it?

My cooling system is 3 exhaust (2 top 1 at back + 2 from the NH-d15) intake is 2 in front one from side one from bottom.

Yeah, ivy bridge always demands for high volts and minimum overclock but like I said earlier increasing your heatsink fans shouldn't make it any louder because they're extremely quiet, and 80 degrees should be fine, as long as you don't go into the 90 degrees range, but higher temps do degrade hardware faster, though my dad's work laptop's been throttling for like 4 years and it's still doing fine. Also you probably won't run into many situations where you're at 100% load anyway, so while gaming etc. you'll be fine anyway.

Yeah, ivy bridge always demands for high volts and minimum overclock but like I said earlier increasing your heatsink fans shouldn't make it any louder because they're extremely quiet, and 80 degrees should be fine, as long as you don't go into the 90 degrees range, but higher temps do degrade hardware faster, though my dad's work laptop's been throttling for like 4 years and it's still doing fine.

My Macbook pro hits 90degrees like it's nothing, Laptops are really weird lol.

I have no idea how to fix my side fan noise issue though, i use a dust filter outside the case that blocks the dust but it creates a really annoying noise something like a jetplane.

Everything else is dust protected (using a define r4)

I just wonder if the dust filter i bought is terrible or all of them are like this? The filter however isn't magnetic and i can feel myself it not being attached directly but still protects against 99% of most dust.

Maybe it's time to open a new thread :D

My Macbook pro hits 90degrees like it's nothing, Laptops are really weird lol.

I have no idea how to fix my side fan noise issue though, i use a dust filter outside the case that blocks the dust but it creates a really annoying noise something like a jetplane.

Everything else is dust protected (using a define r4)

I just wonder if the dust filter i bought is terrible or all of them are like this? Lol

Maybe it's time to open a new thread :D

Lol yeah maybe but jayztwocents has made a videos where he shows that especially if your case has bad airflow, removing dust filters makes it much better, and as long as you have positive airflow, dust shouldn't build up too much. Even then it shouldn't be the biggest deal to take a can of compressed air once in a while and clean out your pc. :3

Lol yeah maybe but jayztwocents has made a videos where he shows that especially if your case has bad airflow, removing dust filters makes it much better, and as long as you have positive airflow, dust shouldn't build up too much. Even then it shouldn't be the biggest deal to take a can of compressed air once in a while and clean out your pc. :3

Yeah, unless you're lazy xD.

The dust filter i use however is square shaped with no bending, no wonder turbulence is caused as the fan bends the air when taking it in.

I checked some filters and saw silverstone ones that are bent like this and also has magnet(sorry for swedish site) https://www.komplett.se/silverstone-sst-ff141b-140mm-damm-filter/816229?cks=ASS&assoc=692EDD3E-CCC1-4B3B-902D-CD989A52AC65&gclid=CKbwhL25rcECFesLcwodVUAAbg

Would this fix the turbulence issue or is it just a no-win scenario? >_<

Yeah, unless you're lazy xD.

The dust filter i use however is square shaped with no bending, no wonder turbulence is caused as the fan bends the air when taking it in.

I checked some filters and saw silverstone ones that are bent like this and also has magnet(sorry for swedish site) https://www.komplett.se/silverstone-sst-ff141b-140mm-damm-filter/816229?cks=ASS&assoc=692EDD3E-CCC1-4B3B-902D-CD989A52AC65&gclid=CKbwhL25rcECFesLcwodVUAAbg

Would this fix the turbulence issue or is it just a no-win scenario? >_<

As far as I know, air bending in shouldn't be an issue for the noise, might want to start a new thread for something like this, not the best person to ask about airflow because I just slap on whatever fans that come with the case and that's it :D

Your temps are 20*c below TJ Max while being stress tested on Prime95 (Notoriously hot test with FPU turned on) on an air cooled system pushing over 1.32v - You're fine! My 3770k running 4.7ghz on water at 1.3v was pushing low 70s for reference. 

Your temps are 20*c below TJ Max while being stress tested on Prime95 (Notoriously hot test with FPU turned on) on an air cooled system pushing over 1.32v - You're fine! My 3770k running 4.7ghz on water at 1.3v was pushing low 70s for reference. 

My 3570K done 95-105C clocked 4.6GHz @1.31V. Or was it 4.7GHz 1.36V?

Although that was with Intel Burn Test in extreme mode and and very high setting. Still didn't crap out. Or crash. 

Our Grace. The Feathered One. He shows us the way. His bob is majestic and shows us the path. Follow unto his guidance and His example. He knows the one true path. Our Saviour. Our Grace. Our Father Birb has taught us with His humble heart and gentle wing the way of the bob. Let us show Him our reverence and follow in His example. The True Path of the Feathered One. ~ Dimboble-dubabob III