Ref. 7970 --> 970, worthy upgrade?

Go to solution Solved by BiG StroOnZ,

I'll see what I can get for this card.  So far, no one's buying it so we'll see if anyone is even interested in the reference design card anymore.  If I can somehow get at least $150 for it, I'll do it; otherwise I will just wait until I can't stand the performance anymore and just go for a new one in 1-2 years' time.

Seems on eBay most people are topping out selling them at about $130. Not bad at all. With the cheapest 970's going for $329-339 you really only have to put in about $200. In 1-2 years time there will be something else out so I wouldn't bother waiting that long for old tech. 

So I've been hearing some insane numbers and real-world performance from the new GTX 970.

I bought my 7970 for around $550 at launch in April 2012.  Is it worth selling for $200, spending an extra $180 and getting a 970 in all your guys' opinions?post-78845-0-90681000-1413308773.jpg

i5 2500k+Noctua NH-D14 - 8GB HyperX Blu - 240GB PNY XLR8 - Sapphire Reference 7970 - P8Z68-V Pro/Gen 3 - OCZ ZX 850W

Unlike *some* people, I do not claim to be an expert computer guru.  When I make mistakes, I apologise and I own up to them.  Then, I continue to learn so that I may provide those in need with educated answers to the best of my ability.

7970 is renamed as R9 280X 

Look at benchmarks then decide .. 

In my opinion, GTX 980 is a worthy upgrade .. but GTX 970 isn't for 7970 .. 

Rig1LianLi O11 Dynamic Evo | Asus Crosshair VIII Formula | Ryzen 9 5950x  | 2TB Gen 4 | 64 GB  RTX 4090 | Samsung 49" 5120x1440 

Rig2: TT Tower 200 | Asus X670e-i | Ryzen 9 7950X3D | 2TB Gen 5 | 64 GB  RTX 4090 | Samsung 57" 7680x2160  | Oculus Quest Pro

So I've been hearing some insane numbers and real-world performance from the new GTX 970.

I bought my 7970 for around $550 at launch in April 2012.  Is it worth selling for $200, spending an extra $180 and getting a 970 in all your guys' opinions?attachicon.gifSapphire 7970.jpg

Nope. Keep it until at least the R9 390 comes out. Or put an aftermarket cooler on the 7970 and overclock the balls out of it.

"Rawr XD"

I bought my 7970 for around $550 at launch in April 2012.  Is it worth selling for $200, spending an extra $180 and getting a 970 in all your guys' opinions?attachicon.gifSapphire 7970.jpg

For some people it is, for some it isn't. The question you should ask yourself is whether or not you are happy with the performance your card gives you. If it doesn't run games at the settings that you want or the framerate you'd like then yes it may be time to upgrade. The 970 is a great choice as it offers great performance for a reasonable price so if you're not perfectly happy then go for it :)

CPU: Intel i7 4790k @ 4.0 GHz Motherboard: MSI Z97 Gaming 5 Motherboard. GPU: EVGA GTX 970. Ram: Crucial Ballistix Ram 8GB (2 x 4gb) @ 1600MHz CPU Cooler: H80i Water Coller | Case: Fractal Design Define R5 PSU: Corsair CX 750m HDD: Seagate 2TB Hardrive | SSD: Samsung 840 EVO 120 GB.

My PC Partpickerhttp://pcpartpicker.com/b/xPnnTW

Good luck selling a 7970 with reference cooler for 200$ those things are loud. I'd keep it for a bit longer and see what the next gen Radeons bring to the table.

Core i7 4820K  |  NH-D14 | Rampage IV Extreme | Asus R9 280X DC2T | 8GB G.Skill TridentX | 120GB Samsung 840 | NZXT H440  |  Be quiet! Dark Power Pro 10 650W

-

Welcome to the forum! Please remember to follow your topics so you're notified when someone answers ;) in my sig you can find links to the CoC and the forum's F.A.Q. check them out!

It really isn't, the performance difference isn't worth 380 more bucks. Regardless, wait for at least 3 years before you change your gpu, more if you have a high end one. Trust me, it's a good idea to do so.

p.s. the 980 is overpriced through the roof, don't even consider it. In fact, you could go for a 280x and crossfire it with your card, it would benefit you more than upgrading.

Don't ask to ask, just ask... please 🤨

sudo chmod -R 000 /*

I think its worth it. I was thinking of doing the same. I have similar setup to you. Its just I can run every game I play at good fps. So I may hold out for the next AMD release.

You're not going to get $200 for your 7970, not anymore. Maybe $150 if you are lucky. Anyway 7970 to 970 is a nice percentage increase in performance, you are looking at about a 25-30% increase in performance more if your 7970 isn't a GHz Ed. 

Nope. Keep it until at least the R9 390 comes out. Or put an aftermarket cooler on the 7970 and overclock the balls out of it.

This is true.  However, if I ramp the fan up to a hair-dryer level of 70% in MSI AB, I get a rock-solid stable 1225Mhz on the core @ 1.35V.  

So it's barely even justifiable to upgrade.  But the way I see it, potentially I could get SOME cash for it now, whereas in 4-6 months from now, or even 12 months, no one will give me anything for it lol.

i5 2500k+Noctua NH-D14 - 8GB HyperX Blu - 240GB PNY XLR8 - Sapphire Reference 7970 - P8Z68-V Pro/Gen 3 - OCZ ZX 850W

Unlike *some* people, I do not claim to be an expert computer guru.  When I make mistakes, I apologise and I own up to them.  Then, I continue to learn so that I may provide those in need with educated answers to the best of my ability.

You're not going to get $200 for your 7970, not anymore. Maybe $150 if you are lucky. Anyway 7970 to 970 is a nice percentage increase in performance, you are looking at about a 25-30% increase in performance more if your 7970 isn't a GHz Ed. 

I have it running at 1225 core @ 1.35V whenever I play demanding titles.  

Thanks for all of the replies guys, it's a tough decision!

For some people it is, for some it isn't. The question you should ask yourself is whether or not you are happy with the performance your card gives you. If it doesn't run games at the settings that you want or the framerate you'd like then yes it may be time to upgrade. The 970 is a great choice as it offers great performance for a reasonable price so if you're not perfectly happy then go for it :)

That's the thing,

I am happy with the performance.  But the feature-set isn't as rich as new tech i.e. DX12, G-Sync (and FreeSync), display port 1.2a etc. etc.

I have it running at 1225 core @ 1.35V whenever I play demanding titles.  

It will still be a huge increase in performance, even if you get an average clocking 970 you are looking at about 1450-1500MHz core overclock on the 970. I would make the switch. You will be pleased.

This is true.  However, if I ramp the fan up to a hair-dryer level of 70% in MSI AB, I get a rock-solid stable 1225Mhz on the core @ 1.35V.  

So it's barely even justifiable to upgrade.  But the way I see it, potentially I could get SOME cash for it now, whereas in 4-6 months from now, or even 12 months, no one will give me anything for it lol.

http://www.arctic.ac/worldwide_en/accelero-xtreme-iv-280-x.html

Get this, overclock, enjoy life

"Rawr XD"

It will still be a huge increase in performance, even if you get an average clocking 970 you are looking at about 1450-1500MHz core overclock on the 970. I would make the switch. You will be pleased.

I'll see what I can get for this card.  So far, no one's buying it so we'll see if anyone is even interested in the reference design card anymore.  If I can somehow get at least $150 for it, I'll do it; otherwise I will just wait until I can't stand the performance anymore and just go for a new one in 1-2 years' time.

Seems on eBay most people are topping out selling them at about $130. Not bad at all. With the cheapest 970's going for $329-339 you really only have to put in about $200. In 1-2 years time there will be something else out so I wouldn't bother waiting that long for old tech. 

I didn't mean waiting 2 years to pick up a 970, that would just be silly :-P. 

I just meant grabbing something at that point that is more recent (i.e. GTX 1170) or whatever the equivalent will be at that point haha. 

Thanks everyone