First aftermarket GPU cooler - is my PC too hot inside?

Shalashaska

I just bought an AMD R9 280, the 280 has the Twin Frozr IV from MSI.

My case is the Cooler Master Silencio 650, it has 5 fan spots, 2 120mm at the front, a 120mm on the floor in front of the PSU, a 120mm exhaust and a 120mm at the rear of the roof.

I have a pair of NF-F12s as intakes, my CPU is cooled by the Noctua NH-U12P and its stock fans, the 120mm exhaust is a NF-S12B, the floor and ceiling spots are not populated with fans.

When gaming, the GPU can reach up to 80c (1100mhz) and the CPU (stock clock 3570K) can reach the high 60s due to heat soak from the GPU.

The case is warm to the touch, the CPU cooler will be actually hot to the touch where as before it was always barely even warm, my question is am I safe running like this? There's a lot of heat blowing around over my motherboard and RAM I don't want to bake anything.

Those GPU's are made to run warm, so seeingt emperatures in that area are normal.

Is the fan for the GPU spinning up fast, or is it staying pretty quiet?

If it's getting very fast and loud, you might have an issue, but as long as it's not ramping up crazy high, then you'll be fine.

They're made to be fine sitting around 90C, and the CPU won't throttle until like 90 as well.

Case: Lian Li PC011-D - CPU: 3900x - GPU: 2080ti Reference - Mobo: Gigabyte - Ram: Corsair 4x16gb 3200MHz - SSD: 2TB Samsung Evo NVME

they're fine up to those temperatures for the gpu, mine reaches 83 degrees and its fine.

"Sulit" (adj.) something that is worth it

i7 8700K 4.8Ghz delidded / Corsair H100i V2 / Asus Strix Z370-F / G.Skill Trident Z RGB 16GB 3200 / EVGA GTX 1080Ti FTW3 / ASUS ROG SWIFT PG279Q

Samsung 850 EVO 500GB & 250GB - Crucial MX300 M.2 525GB / Fractal Design Define S / Corsair K70 MX Reds / Logitech G502 / Beyerdynamic DT770 250Ohm

SMSL SD793II AMP/DAC - Schiit Magni 3 / PCPP

Old Rig

i5 2500k 4.5Ghz | Gigabyte Z68XP-UD3P | Zotac GTX 980 AMP! Extreme | Crucial Ballistix Tactical 16GB 1866MHz

Those GPU's are made to run warm, so seeingt emperatures in that area are normal.

Is the fan for the GPU spinning up fast, or is it staying pretty quiet?

If it's getting very fast and loud, you might have an issue, but as long as it's not ramping up crazy high, then you'll be fine.

They're made to be fine sitting around 90C, and the CPU won't throttle until like 90 as well.

I have the GPU fan on a manual curve, it reaches 100% when the temperature reaches 80c

I have the GPU fan on a manual curve, it reaches 100% when the temperature reaches 80c

On the default auto curve, it will only ramp up to 100% to keep the GPU at/under 90.

Case: Lian Li PC011-D - CPU: 3900x - GPU: 2080ti Reference - Mobo: Gigabyte - Ram: Corsair 4x16gb 3200MHz - SSD: 2TB Samsung Evo NVME

Some GPUs (as yours do) may reach up to 90 degrees celsius (would not want to try those kind of crazy temperatures on my own hardware though), so it should be just fine.

You might want to lower your temperatures anyway though, your CPU is damn hot with that kind of CPU Cooler. Was the thermal paste applied correctly on it?

Your case should be pretty much dustproof, still check if there's any dust inside and be sure to keep the filters clean and that your cable management is good. Put your computer on a hard surface (floor, desk) and make sure your PSU is mounted so that its fan is pointing down (!). Also check if there's enough room behind your case for the exhaust fan to actually exhaust any air out of the case.. and you should definitely populate the top and bottom fan mounts with some high quality fans.

Also, try running some benchmarking softwares and see what kind of temperature does your hardware (GPU, CPU and Motherboard too!) get to, then report. :)

CPU: INTEL i7-4770K | CPU Cooler: Noctua NH-C12P w/ NF-A15 | MoBo: Asus Z87-Deluxe | RAM: Corsair Vengeance Pro 8GB (2x4GB) @2400MHz | GPU: Asus GTX 760 DirectCU II | PSU: Seasonic X-850 (KM3)

CASE: Phanteks Enthoo Pro w/ white LEDs | SSD: Samsung 840 EVO 250GB (Boot Drive) | HDD: Seagate Barracuda 2TB (Storage) | ODD(s): LG BH10 BD Rewriter + LG DVD Rewriter | 5.25": Scythe Kama Panel 3.1 |

GAMEPAD: XBOX 360 | KEYBOARD: CM Storm Quick Fire Rapid-i | OS: Windows 8.1 64 bit | MONITOR: Samsung SyncMaster T220HD | SPEAKERS: Logitech LS21

snip

snip

snip

snip

OK thanks everyone for the posts, I have done some work in the PC today, I removed my cooler and fitted a Scythe Mugen II I had laying around which is bigger than the Noctua, I moved the NF-F12s onto it.

Filled the top fan spot with the Scythe fan that came with the cooler, the bottom fan spot with a Silverstone AP I had laying around.

Now my temps after looping Heaven for a while are looking nice and I'm happy with them, the GPU fan speed is super low!

3b6e5243cf5f9c9cbe3f1de1eec77cf9.png

Wonderful! Those temps make me wonder if the fan/fans on your GPU is/are working alright, maybe there's a problem with them (?) :)

CPU: INTEL i7-4770K | CPU Cooler: Noctua NH-C12P w/ NF-A15 | MoBo: Asus Z87-Deluxe | RAM: Corsair Vengeance Pro 8GB (2x4GB) @2400MHz | GPU: Asus GTX 760 DirectCU II | PSU: Seasonic X-850 (KM3)

CASE: Phanteks Enthoo Pro w/ white LEDs | SSD: Samsung 840 EVO 250GB (Boot Drive) | HDD: Seagate Barracuda 2TB (Storage) | ODD(s): LG BH10 BD Rewriter + LG DVD Rewriter | 5.25": Scythe Kama Panel 3.1 |

GAMEPAD: XBOX 360 | KEYBOARD: CM Storm Quick Fire Rapid-i | OS: Windows 8.1 64 bit | MONITOR: Samsung SyncMaster T220HD | SPEAKERS: Logitech LS21