Ultimate fan roundup

spwath

I recently purchased some 120mm Aerocool Dead Silent Fans in White. I was extremely disappointed with their performance. Maybe I just got a bad batch, but the ones I got are terrible.

65j6Flk.jpg

The DS fans are the bottom two on the right.

For starters, the fans look incredible, and I knew they would be visible in my case, so I knew I had to get a fan that I would like to have displayed. They look even better from the other side. The looks are the only positive for this fan though.

On to the negatives:

The LEDs will flicker if the fan is not at 7v or higher.

I wasn't able to run these off of my motherboard because even at higher voltage/RPMs, the LEDs would flicker, and the fans would constantly ramp up and down by a few hundred RPM. Note, I don't run my fans in PWM mode, I use DC control in the BIOS and RPM control in Fan Xpert III.

I ended up buying an NZXT Sentry 3, in order to properly use these fans, because I thought maybe it was my motherboard not supplying enough power. Asus Z97-AR. This is not the case. Even the Sentry 3 Fan Controller, which provides more than enough juice for these fans has the same problem. If the fans are at less than 70%/7v the LEDs will flicker, and the speed will fluctuate. They have to be run at 1200rpm+ if you want the LEDs to not flicker. Now, 1200rpm is fine, I generally run all of my case fans at 1000-1200rpm, but these fans for whatever reason are loud. They emit a humming/buzzing noise, and while they move a considerable amount of noise, they are not quiet. Pair the fact that they can't be properly used at less than 7v with how loud they are, and I am unsatisfied. I expected more from an $18 fan. They have lots of rubberized mounting spots, so vibration dampening shouldn't be the cause. To test, I tried them out when not mounted to my case and they still make more noise than I am comfortable with. My 120mm Cougar Vortex PWMs at full speed 1650rpm make less noise than these, and my 120mm Cooler Master Blade Master's make less noise than these at 1250rpm.

I am still using these fans in my case because I absolutely love the way they look, but I am very unhappy with these fans, and wouldn't recommend them to someone else.

@spwath Have you noticed that the LEDs flicker or the fan blades ramp up and down in speed at less than 7v? I am curious if I just got a bad pair or if this is a wide spread issue. I saw that you mentioned a humming, my fans also hum, and it is not "just when you're

up close."

I've seen no flicker and I ran them at 5v fine. The hum I coild only hear at less than 1 foot away. The humming and the fans are loud at 12v but 7v is more bearable and 5v is quiet

BTW nice system

n0ah1897, on 05 Mar 2014 - 2:08 PM, said:  "Computers are like girls. It's whats in the inside that matters.  I don't know about you, but I like my girls like I like my cases. Just as beautiful on the inside as the outside."

this does not feel ultimate roundup by no means you may or may not worked a lot on searching for the best fans but the thread is not "ultimate" 
on the other side ,anyone knows any really good and silent 200 mm fans ? 

this does not feel ultimate roundup by no means you may or may not worked a lot on searching for the best fans but the thread is not "ultimate" 

on the other side ,anyone knows any really good and silent 200 mm fans ? 

Phanteks makes some incredible 200mm fans, but they are expensive.

NZXT also makes some good ones, not as expensive, but not as good.

I own both a Phanteks PH-F200SP 200mm and NZXT FS 200RB 200mm

Both fans are good, both are practically silent, but the Phanteks fan blows a lot, I mean a lot more air.

"I genuinely dislike the promulgation of false information, especially to people who are asking for help selecting new parts."

This would really help making this thread more informative and less opinion based... Either way, Phanteks' fans are awesome for their price, IMO.

CPU: Intel Core i7-4790k | CPU Cooler: Noctua NH-D15 | Motherboard: ASUS Sabertooth Z97 MARK 1 | Memory: Kingston HyperX FURY 16GB 1866MHz | GPU: Gigabyte GeForce GTX 770 4GB Windforce

Storage: Samsung 840 EVO | PSU: CM Silent Pro 720W | Case: Phanteks Enthoo Luxe | Headset: Corsair Vengeance 2100 | Keyboard: Logitech G710+ | Mouse: Razer DeathAdder Chroma

"You see, one can only be angry with those he respects." - R. Nixon

This would really help making this thread more informative and less opinion based... Either way, Phanteks' fans are awesome for their price, IMO.

Yeah, I would like to get one, but really have no reason to jystify the price, unless I could review even more fans and some how get them for free

n0ah1897, on 05 Mar 2014 - 2:08 PM, said:  "Computers are like girls. It's whats in the inside that matters.  I don't know about you, but I like my girls like I like my cases. Just as beautiful on the inside as the outside."

Phanteks makes some incredible 200mm fans, but they are expensive.

NZXT also makes some good ones, not as expensive, but not as good.

I own both a Phanteks PH-F200SP 200mm and NZXT FS 200RB 200mm

Both fans are good, both are practically silent, but the Phanteks fan blows a lot, I mean a lot more air.

sadly only the fanteks is available in my country :( i guess this will do the job..

sadly only the fanteks is available in my country :( i guess this will do the job..

Why sad? The Phanteks is the better fan.

"I genuinely dislike the promulgation of false information, especially to people who are asking for help selecting new parts."

$$?

$$?

Ya, that would be the only reason. He asked which is better and the clear winner, not even close really is the Phanteks.

$$?

ooops sorry i meant the nzxt is the only available and it costs 23 euros with shipping included wtf newegg sells 15 euros the led one  

I recently purchased some 120mm Aerocool Dead Silent Fans in White.  I was extremely disappointed with their performance. Maybe I just got a bad batch, but the ones I got are terrible.

The DS fans are the bottom two on the right.

For starters, the fans look incredible, and I knew they would be visible in my case, so I knew I had to get a fan that I would like to have displayed. They look even better from the other side.  The looks are the only positive for this fan though.

On to the negatives:

The LEDs will flicker if the fan is not at 7v or higher. 

I wasn't able to run these off of my motherboard because even at higher voltage/RPMs, the LEDs would flicker, and the fans would constantly ramp up and down by a few hundred RPM.  Note, I don't run my fans in PWM mode, I use DC control in the BIOS and RPM control in Fan Xpert III.

I ended up buying an NZXT Sentry 3, in order to properly use these fans, because I thought maybe it was my motherboard not supplying enough power.  Asus Z97-AR.  This is not the case.  Even the Sentry 3 Fan Controller, which provides more than enough juice for these fans has the same problem.  If the fans are at less than 70%/7v the LEDs will flicker, and the speed will fluctuate.  They have to be run at 1200rpm+ if you want the LEDs to not flicker.  Now, 1200rpm is fine, I generally run all of my case fans at 1000-1200rpm, but these fans for whatever reason are loud.  They emit a humming/buzzing noise, and while they move a considerable amount of noise, they are not quiet.  Pair the fact that they can't be properly used at less than 7v with how loud they are, and I am unsatisfied.  I expected more from an $18 fan.  They have lots of rubberized mounting spots, so vibration dampening shouldn't be the cause.  To test, I tried them out when not mounted to my case and they still make more noise than I am comfortable with.  My 120mm Cougar Vortex PWMs at full speed 1650rpm make less noise than these, and my 120mm Cooler Master Blade Master's make less noise than these at 1250rpm.

I am still using these fans in my case because I absolutely love the way they look, but I am very unhappy with these fans, and wouldn't recommend them to someone else.

@spwath  Have you noticed that the LEDs flicker or the fan blades ramp up and down in speed at less than 7v?  I am curious if I just got a bad pair or if this is a wide spread issue.  I saw that you mentioned a humming, my fans also hum, and it is not "just when you're up close."

the leds flicker on a fan that is being controlled by pwm. that isn't very surprising at all. Pulse -width modulation

Rig Specs:

AMD Threadripper 5990WX@4.8Ghz

Asus Zenith III Extreme

Asrock OC Formula 7970XTX Quadfire

G.Skill Ripheartout X OC 7000Mhz C28 DDR5 4X16GB  

Super Flower Power Leadex 2000W Psu's X2

Harrynowl's 775/771 OC and mod guide: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/232325-lga775-core2duo-core2quad-overclocking-guide/ http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/365998-mod-lga771-to-lga775-cpu-modification-tutorial/

ProKoN haswell/DC OC guide: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/41234-intel-haswell-4670k-4770k-overclocking-guide/

"desperate for just a bit more money to watercool, the titan x would be thankful" Carter -2016

the leds flicker on a fan that is being controlled by pwm. that isn't very surprising at all. Pulse -width modulation

I use DC on my motherboard. It also happens with a fan controller.