Enough rad volume?

Go to solution Solved by Shaqo_Wyn,

I'm gonna be running this loop in a Corsair 760t so I can fit a 45mm 360 with one set of fans, and I can stick a monsta 280mm in the front of the case in push/pull, and thats what I'm planning on doing. I'm just wondering if the smaller rads will suffice until I have a little more money saved for the rads.

They'll suffice, I just don't think you'll get low 50's. Unless you're willing really go crazy with the fan RPM.

I'm going to be cooling a 3930k and 3 gtx 780 tis, I was wondering if I'll have enough rad volume to cool them decently at least until I can get a thicker rad?
I have 2 Alphacool st30's in 360mm and 280mm sizes. I can use a higher rpm fan if necessary. Will this be enough to keep them a decent temp (55C<) with at least factory clocks?

I have the rads now from a friend, he used them for a few days and got the 60mm thick rads instead after he figured out he could fit them.

I'm going to be cooling a 3930k and 3 gtx 780 tis, I was wondering if I'll have enough rad volume to cool them decently at least until I can get a thicker rad?

I have 2 Alphacool st30's in 360mm and 280mm sizes. I can use a higher rpm fan if necessary. Will this be enough to keep them a decent temp (55C<) with at least factory clocks?

I have the rads now from a friend, he used them for a few days and got the 60mm thick rads instead after he figured out he could fit them.

yes that will be more than enough for your rigs even overclocked

Please follow your topics guys, it's very important! CoC F.A.Q  Please use the corresponding PC part picker link for your country USA, UK, Canada, AustraliaSpain, Italy, New Zealand and Germany

also if you find anyone with this handle in games its most likely me so say hi

yes that will be more than enough for your rigs even overclocked

Really? I was reading online about other people with a similar set up saying that it might not be enough space, just wanted to come ask you guys.

Really? I was reading online about other people with a similar set up saying that it might not be enough space, just wanted to come ask you guys.

my rule of thumb is at least 120 mm for every new component either way it will be miles better than air

Please follow your topics guys, it's very important! CoC F.A.Q  Please use the corresponding PC part picker link for your country USA, UK, Canada, AustraliaSpain, Italy, New Zealand and Germany

You're going to want 2 360mm rads or above for a setup like that, especially if you want to even go a little into overclocking. 120mm per component is NOT enough. There are several calculators / formulas to be found around the web that will help you calculate how much rad volume you will need to run a reliable setup.

my rule of thumb is at least 120 mm for every new component either way it will be miles better than air

I'd say 120 for each component + 120 for headroom/overclocking . so it's perfect.

In some corsair c70 it had a "Monsta" 240 rad for the front with push pull nf-f12 and a 280 pull on the top , that wayyy enough for an i7-4930k and 3 titans if i remember well .

You're going to want 2 360mm rads or above for a setup like that, especially if you want to even go a little into overclocking. 120mm per component is NOT enough. There are several calculators / formulas to be found around the web that will help you calculate how much rad volume you will need to run a reliable setup.

for ti's its fine thin of this a  r9295x2 can be easily cooled by 120 and they have 50's-40's in 23240 and they put out more heat than any other component in this build 240mm to start 120mm for every new component

Comon a 295x2 has a thick 120 . I accept the 3x780ti wouldn't be enough for the 360 , but the 3930k doesn't "eat" and entire 280 rad , so it will work with the Gpus going up to maybe 60 and the cpu to a 60-70...

Edit : it's not even that thick 38mm 

Basic way to think of it is one fan worth of rad per item, at stock, so one CPU and three GPUs, 4 fan bays worth of radiators will be enough; 360 is three (3x120s) and 280 (2x140s) is two so five fan rad bays.

Obviously this is a rule of thumb .Add roughly one fan bay per overclocked item and one fan bay if ambient is very high.

Two motoes to live by   "Sometimes there are no shortcuts"

"This too shall pass"

^ this.

Bert & Ernie before squirting spermie. 

for ti's its fine thin of this a  r9295x2 can be easily cooled by 120 and they have 50's-40's in 23240 and they put out more heat than any other component in this build 240mm to start 120mm for every new component

Where'd you see that? Benchmarks I saw have the 295X2 at 70 degrees under load. Plus isn't that thing an air/liquid hybrid? OP wants <55 load, those are high standards and you need some good rad surface area to meet them.

Where'd you see that? Benchmarks I saw have the 295X2 at 70 degrees under load. Plus isn't that thing an air/liquid hybrid? OP wants <55 load, those are high standard and they need some good rad space.

yes it does but wiht 280mm copper rad and that that card has a 550w tdp and three 780 ti's use about 600w tdp so the math adds up also the r9295x2's are all liquid the only air part is the vrm cooling

The 120mm rule of thumb is silly IMO. Especially if you're going for good load temps, and you want <55 degrees. Water cooling doesn't have to be guess work, we have the watercooling guru's like Martin to thanks for this. There are five main factors to consider fan rpm, max TDP, overclocking, ambient temps and your load temp targets. 

If your willing to crank up your fans to an annoyingly loud 1400> RPM that's up to you, but why bother pouring buckets of cash into water cooling if it's not quiet and if it doesn't give you the temps you want. @stock alone, 3 780 ti's and a 3930K have a max TDP of 880W. 

A 360 ST30 with fans at 1400 RPM can dissipate 150W. A 280 ST30 should be able to roughly dissipate about 135W with 1400 RPM fans based on it being 10% less surface area than the 360. That's 285W total. Even if you don't overclock them and assume those components are generating about 500W (say 60%) load. That is still 215W that you're left with. 

You need at least two 360's or a 420/480 and 240. To adequately cool this rig to <55 under load. 

The 120mm rule of thumb is silly IMO. Especially if you're going for good load temps, and you want <55 degrees. Water cooling doesn't have to be guess work, we have the watercooling guru's like Martin to thanks for this. There are five main factors to consider fan rpm, max TDP, overclocking, ambient temps and your load temp targets. 

If your willing to crank up your fans to an annoyingly loud 1400> RPM that's up to you, but why bother pouring buckets of cash into water cooling if it's not quiet and if it doesn't give you the temps you want. @stock alone, 3 780 ti's and a 3930K have a max TDP of 880W. 

A 360 ST30 with fans at 1400 RPM can dissipate 150W. A 280 ST30 should be able to roughly dissipate about 135W with 1400 RPM fans based on it being 10% less surface area than the 360. That's 285W total. Even if you don't overclock them and assume those components are generating about 500W (say 60%) load. That is still 215W that you're left with. 

You need at least two 360's or a 420/480 and 240. To adequately cool this rig to <55 under load. 

I'm gonna be running this loop in a Corsair 760t so I can fit a 45mm 360 with one set of fans, and I can stick a monsta 280mm in the front of the case in push/pull, and thats what I'm planning on doing. I'm just wondering if the smaller rads will suffice until I have a little more money saved for the rads.

They'll suffice, I just don't think you'll get low 50's. Unless you're willing really go crazy with the fan RPM.

Whatever beats the 80-90s I was in on air for the gpus, just making sure the loop wouldn't end up killing itself from not being able to cool itself enough to keep up. Thank you.