HTC One M8 Camera Glass Cracked

Hello everyone, 

I bought an htc one m8 on the verizon edge plan (so paying full price for the phone over the duration of my contract) a few months ago. I took a train ride yesterday and had the device in my front pocket of a tighter than usual pair of jeans. I pulled the device out after arriving at my destination to take pictures and discovered that the glass over the rear facing camera was cracked. I went to the best buy where I bought it and they said to go through htc. Htc said that they do not cover this common flaw under warranty and want me to send it in so that they can give me an estimate for the repair price. At this point, I don't know what to do. I use my phone a lot and can not send it in without having a replacement (I don't have any other verizon compatible phones lying around). I also don't have much money for the repair being a college student and I am still paying verizon for the phone every month which will total nearly $700 by the end of the contract. What would you suggest? I know Linus had this issue and tried going through the support as a normal customer. Does he have a thread on this somewhere and I missed it? 

Thanks in advance 

This is apparently a common issue with M8s and HTC nor carriers are willing to cover it under warranty (but interestingly enough cracked screens will be replaced under HTC warranty within 6 months)

"Rawr XD"

This is apparently a common issue with M8s and HTC nor carriers are willing to cover it under warranty (but interestingly enough cracked screens will be replaced under HTC warranty within 6 months)

More research has lead me to this conclusion. I will contact verizon and see what they will do as I am still paying for it through the verizon edge plan. There has to be something about if the device breaks and you are still paying for it or if I can switch devices. Honestly, I will probably switch to the G3 if I can without paying too much extra. 

An entire new back for the phone is $45. 

What would happen if I removed the glass? Does it actually help with focus and stuff or is it just protection for the lens? 

Edit: So, I am under my parents' family plan on verizon edge. They did all of the contract crap and got the phones while I was at work. It turns out that they did not get the "insurance". Without that, anything could happen to the phone. It could be stolen, broken, in space, at the bottom of the ocean and you still have to pay for the phone. Which makes sense because then verizon would be out the cost of most of a phone. However, it really screws over the consumer. So, it looks like I am going to a cell phone repair place and getting a quote.