Z68 System & Living with Modern Graphics Cards.

So I'm currently using a Z68 sys. with 2600K & 8GB of RAM.

GPU setup is Crossfire XFX HD6870s.

I can still run games on low to medium settings, but I plan on upgrading soon.

Should I only get new GPUs or an entirely new system?

PCI-e 2.0 x8x8 would be a problem?

2600K bottleneck?

Processor is fine if you have overclocked it would be even better i would say just upgrade the gpu

Nvidia is to Dr Dre Beets as AMD is to KFC.

One makes you broke, the other you can get more of and have a midnight snack from the fridge when hungry again. Once you go Nvidia, you go broked, turn into an Elitist, or get the incorrect amount of VRAM.

- WCCFTECH

I was only 9 years old. I loved Fifflaren so much, I had all the NiP merchandise and matches pirated. I prayed to Fifflaren every night before bed. Thanking him for the life I have been given. Fifflaren is love I say. Fifflaren is life. My dad hears and calls me a fuckhead. I knew he was just jelly of my passion for Fifflaren. I called him a Sw@yer. He hits me and sends me to go to sleep. I'm crying now, and my face hurts. I lay in bed and it's really cold. A warmth is moving towards me. I feel someone touching me. I feel someone touching me. It's Fifflaren. I am so happy. He whispers in my ear; "this is my pyjama". He grabs me with his powerful Swedish hands and puts me on my hands and knees. I'm ready. I spread my ass cheeks for Fifflaren. He penetrates my butt-hole. It hurts so much but I do it for Fifflaren. I can feel my butt tearing as my eyes start to water. I push against his force. I want to please Fifflaren. He roars a viking roar as he fills my butt with his love. My dad walks in. Fifflaren looks straight into his eyes and says; "He is a ninja now". Fifflaren is love, Fifflaren is life 

PCIe 2.0 8x/8x is fine, so is the 2600k cause it's a beast, just get new card(s).

New GPUs would be good, PCIe 2.0 8x will not bottleneck modern GPUs.

gpu upgrade would be fine. intel has yet to make any significant performance improvement over sandybridge. I have no issues playing games on high settings with an i5-2500.

It won't change anything to your gaming performance if you change your processor. What I suggest you to do with it is overclocking it to a descent 4.6 Ghz by using a good CPU cooler, at least an Hyper EVO 212 or you can go AIO watercooling. And change your graphics cards to GTX 970 or GTX 980.

2600K will not bottleneck you in any way for gaming, any i7 from 2th gen to now will have the same gaming performance at the same clock frequency.

PC : | CPU: Intel 4790K | COOLER: Corsair H105 w/ JetFlo's Push/Pull | MOBO: EVGA Z97 Classified | GPU: EVGA FTW 4GB GTX 970 X2 | RAM: Kingston HyperX Beast 1866Mhz 32GB | CASE: HAF Stacker 945 | PSU: Corsair AX1500i | DISPLAY: Asus MX299Q | SSD: 2 X Corsair Neutron GTX 480 GB in RAID0 | mSATA SSD: Samsung 840 EVO 500 GB | HDD: 4 X Western Digital RED 4 TB in JBOD |

So I'm currently using a Z68 sys. with 2600K & 8GB of RAM.

GPU setup is Crossfire XFX HD6870s.

I can still run games on low to medium settings, but I plan on upgrading soon.

Should I only get new GPUs or an entirely new system?

PCI-e 2.0 x8x8 would be a problem?

2600K bottleneck?

I have that same set up (Z68, i7 2600k, and 8GB of ram) and I just got two 970's and it is running amazing.

I have that same set up (Z68, i7 2600k, and 8GB of ram) and I just got two 970's and it is running amazing.

Holy crap. That's awesome! Two 970s! :o

I was actually thinkin' about gettin' two of them myself...either that or two r9 290s, since the Tri-X OC went down to $300.

It won't change anything to your gaming performance if you change your processor. What I suggest you to do with it is overclocking it to a descent 4.6 Ghz by using a good CPU cooler, at least an Hyper EVO 212 or you can go AIO watercooling. And change your graphics cards to GTX 970 or GTX 980.

2600K will not bottleneck you in any way for gaming, any i7 from 2th gen to now will have the same gaming performance at the same clock frequency.

Blegh, mine wasn't that great of an overclocker. I got to 4.5GHz but had to pump 1.416V through it. In fact, it's actually starting to show its age because of voltage damage. I had to turn it down to 4.4 GHz to lower the volts.

Its old enough to justify an upgrade, but wait until at least Broadwell's release, if not Skylake since you're certainly going to be fine for that long. In the long term, Haswell is probably going to be remembered as mediocre at best, so I see little reason to rush an upgrade now.

any i7 from 2th gen to now will have the same gaming performance at the same clock frequency.

Well, that's not actually true. The only reason they'd be the same is if you're looking at a GPU-limited benchmark. The IPC gains have been minor in each generation but we're looking at about ~20% going from Sandy Bridge to Haswell at this point. Agreed that CPU bottlenecks are not a serious concern, though. I'm still doing alright with a Core i5-750.