Can Some Musical People Help Me PIn Down A Song?

N00B_person

ohai guys, hope you're having a good day :)

So there's this song, right, and it has literally been stuck in my head for DAYS and I can't put a name to it. My description is a litle vague, but its worth a try, no?

Alright, so its piano music, its starts with a D major chord with the sustain pedal up, goes on for like 5 seconds, changes to A major, does the same thing, and then goes to E major, but with an apogiachora (or whatever it is when you change quickly from one note to the other) from note F# to note G#\Ab. And then repeats. ARGH! I know its a crap description, but does anyone recognise it at all? There's gotta be some music buffs somewhere :D

much love 

Toilet Roll.

LOOK AT MY TUBE, MY TUBE IS AMAZING. DONT LICK IT IT DOESN'T TASTE LIKE ANYTHING. IT DOESN'T HAVE A MANE OR PENIS EITHER. SHUT UP.

What style is it?

Youre not talking about this, are you?

I always guarantee that no more than 50% of what I say is useful.

any lyrics?

nah, no lyrics. just piano.

What style is it?

Youre not talking about this, are you?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Dyo4tNwNIvQ

Nah, a lot simpler than that. its quite ambient, somewhat dreamy, something you might find in an Attenborough film, but maybe a bit less epic.

LOOK AT MY TUBE, MY TUBE IS AMAZING. DONT LICK IT IT DOESN'T TASTE LIKE ANYTHING. IT DOESN'T HAVE A MANE OR PENIS EITHER. SHUT UP.

nah, no lyrics. just piano.

Nah, a lot simpler than that. its quite ambient, somewhat dreamy, something you might find in an Attenborough film, but maybe a bit less epic.

When you say dreamy... I start to think of yiruma, philip glass and chilly gonzales... or christopher oriley (depending on who hes covering) maybe thats a start? but these guys are sorta contemporary legends, and I wouldnt describe most of their music as simple, although yiruma does have a few that are not considered solo piano and can be played by most people.

When you say dreamy... I start to think of yiruma, philip glass and chilly gonzales... or christopher oriley (depending on who hes covering) maybe thats a start? but these guys are sorta contemporary legends, and I wouldnt describe most of their music as simple, although yiruma does have a few that are not considered solo piano and can be played by most people.

Getting there! That style, but less of a melody. And yes, I apologize, when I meant simple, I mean that the chord progression was really all there was to it.

Simpler, eh? I'm starting to think maybe it was a films ostinato (a recurring melody or theme in most of a films score, variation of a theme i guess you could say)

Maybe lux aeterna by clint mansell off the requiem for a dream soundtrack? It's been in advertisements for many products, a few movies, and whatnot. every version will sound different, sometimes its just played by itself, sometimes it has a whole symphony, sometimes its played softly, sometimes fast and aggressively.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=or0V6S7JtTY

Other than that, check out some of clint mansells other scores (black swan, pi, noah, mass effect 3, the fountain) can you tell im a big fan? anyways, his work shows up in a lot of places other than the films he originally scored them for.

hans zimmer (inception, black rain and loads more)

horror movies are famous for ostinatos, jaws, psycho... etc...

ps silent hill (game and film) have some fairly dreamy ethereal music in them. haunting is the word i would use for lux aeterna and silent hill.

it could be in any one of those movies, or i could be way off, but if you can think if it was a movie, tv show, advert, or somewhere else... and a time period it could be from... oh... and I cant remember if the shining and space odyssey used an ostinato... I would imagine it would, stanley kubrick had a way with patterns visually... id imagine it would be carried over to the score.

have you watched a horror or psychological thriller lately? could be the key.

sorry for all the overwhelming info, I love figuring out stuff like this. This happens to me several times a day and I cannot relax until I know what I forgot.

Well thanks to all that helped, but my search continues for this song. I'll try to remember to post it when I find it.

• 4 weeks later...

Simpler, eh? I'm starting to think maybe it was a films ostinato (a recurring melody or theme in most of a films score, variation of a theme i guess you could say)

Maybe lux aeterna by clint mansell off the requiem for a dream soundtrack? It's been in advertisements for many products, a few movies, and whatnot. every version will sound different, sometimes its just played by itself, sometimes it has a whole symphony, sometimes its played softly, sometimes fast and aggressively.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=or0V6S7JtTY

Other than that, check out some of clint mansells other scores (black swan, pi, noah, mass effect 3, the fountain) can you tell im a big fan? anyways, his work shows up in a lot of places other than the films he originally scored them for.

hans zimmer (inception, black rain and loads more)

horror movies are famous for ostinatos, jaws, psycho... etc...

ps silent hill (game and film) have some fairly dreamy ethereal music in them. haunting is the word i would use for lux aeterna and silent hill.

it could be in any one of those movies, or i could be way off, but if you can think if it was a movie, tv show, advert, or somewhere else... and a time period it could be from... oh... and I cant remember if the shining and space odyssey used an ostinato... I would imagine it would, stanley kubrick had a way with patterns visually... id imagine it would be carried over to the score.

have you watched a horror or psychological thriller lately? could be the key.

sorry for all the overwhelming info, I love figuring out stuff like this. This happens to me several times a day and I cannot relax until I know what I forgot.

I FOUND IT! It was an instrumental version on 'To Build A Home' by the Cinematic Orchestra. ARG SO MUCH SATISFACTION :D