Does SLI help in video editing & rendering?

dookievizion

I do a lot of video editing and rendering and before I was doing it on an I5 laptop with built in graphics, then I built a pc with a 660 that was gifted to me.  I'm looking to upgrade and thinking about getting two 970's, but I'm wondering does SLI even have an effect on rendering and editing in full resolution with no frame drops.  Or would one 980 and more ram be a better purchase.  I currently have 16gb of ram.

I do a lot of video editing and rendering and before I was doing it on an I5 laptop with built in graphics, then I built a pc with a 660 that was gifted to me.  I'm looking to upgrade and thinking about getting two 970's, but I'm wondering does SLI even have an effect on rendering and editing in full resolution with no frame drops.  Or would one 980 and more ram be a better purchase.  I currently have 16gb of ram.

yes more gpus can accelerate depending on the editing/ rendering program i would get a cuda mod for them as you can ue that on geforce cards and it speeds it up a decent bit

Please follow your topics guys, it's very important! CoC F.A.Q  Please use the corresponding PC part picker link for your country USA, UK, Canada, AustraliaSpain, Italy, New Zealand and Germany

also if you find anyone with this handle in games its most likely me so say hi

I'm not 100% sure but I would think it would help even better than in gaming. It probably depends on the program your using thought

01010010 01101111 01100010  01001101 01100001 01100011 01010010 01100001 01100101

Having 2 GPU's will help (for applications that support it), but not in SLI. Just use them as stand-alone GPUs.

one 980 and 16GB of ram

ram is very important for video editing

some applications should be able to take advantage of two GPUs for faster rendering, but I would definitely get 16 or 32GB of ram first.

NEW PC build: Blank Heaven   minimalist white and black PC     Old S340 build log "White Heaven"        The "LIGHTCANON" flashlight build log        Project AntiRoll (prototype)        Custom speaker project

Spoiler

Ryzen 3950X | AMD Vega Frontier Edition | ASUS X570 Pro WS | Corsair Vengeance LPX 64GB | NZXT H500 | Seasonic Prime Fanless TX-700 | Custom loop | Coolermaster SK630 White | Logitech MX Master 2S | Samsung 980 Pro 1TB + 970 Pro 512GB | Samsung 58" 4k TV | Scarlett 2i4 | 2x AT2020

one 980 and 16GB of ram

ram is very important for video editing

also dual channel and faster speeds help too as bandwith is nice along woith more cores many many more cores

Please follow your topics guys, it's very important! CoC F.A.Q  Please use the corresponding PC part picker link for your country USA, UK, Canada, AustraliaSpain, Italy, New Zealand and Germany

also if you find anyone with this handle in games its most likely me so say hi

Yeah I've been wanting to upgrade to 32gb of ram, so that already will be one of my next focuses.  Money wise, one 970 will probably be what I can get up front, but I'm wondering should I just hold off a bit longer for the 980.  Gaming is ok, but I don't play any graphic intense games at high resolutions so that won't factor much into my purchase.