AF120's VS AF140's ?

FluffiestPond

I recently built my new gaming rig and I replaced the cases stock Corsair fans with AF120's and AF120's LED. but I was wondering if using the AF140's would improve or decrease cooling effectiveness?  

There are 5 fans in total, 2 on the top of the case attached to the H100i Radiator (Exhaust), 2 at the front of the case (Intake), and one at the back of the case (Exhaust).

What would your guys advice be towards replacing them with AF140's? Also what would the impact on noise be? I'm not one of these "Has to be silent" guys as I wear headphones whilst using the PC but I must admit my current set up is a little louder then I would have liked it to be..

Any suggestions would be welcome :)

Thanks

"Programming today is a race between software engineers striving to build bigger and better idiot-proof programs. And the Universe trying to produce bigger idiots.. The Universe is winning"

(Gaming PC) CPU:- i5 4690k 3.5GHZ . MOTHERBOARD:- MSI G45 Z97 Gaming . CPU Cooler:- H100i . GPU:- ASUS Geforce GTX-780ti Direct CU II OC -x2 SLI . RAM:- 16GB Corsair Vengeance 1600Mhz 4x4GB . CASE:- Corsair 750D Obsidian Series . PSU:- EVGA SuperNova 850W Gold . FANS:- x3 Corsair AF120 RED LED, x2 Corsair AF120 (Red rings) .STORAGE:- Kingston V300 120GB (Boot Drive), x2 1TB WD Blues, x2 500GB Samsungs .

Spoiler

KEYBOARD:- Logitech G19. | GAMEPAD:- Logitech G13. | HEADPHONES:- Logitech G35. | MOUSE:- CM Storm Sentinel Advanced II. | JOYSTICK:- Saitek ST200. | RACING WHEEL:- Logitech Driving Force GT. | OTHER:- TrackIR 5 + Vector Clip | CounterStrike XXL Mousemat

This should help you decide using the specs.

post-54950-0-72988600-1412930644_thumb.j

CORSAIR RIPPER: AMD 3970X - 3080TI & 2080TI - 64GB Ram - 2.5TB NVME SSD's - 35" G-Sync 120hz 1440P
MFB (Mining/Folding/Boinc): AMD 1600 - 3080 & 1080Ti - 16GB Ram - 240GB SSD
Dell OPTIPLEX:  Intel i5 6500 - 8GB Ram - 256GB SSD

PC & CONSOLE GAMER

This should help you decide using the specs.

corsair fans.jpg

That's a stupidly helpful chart :P I'm pretty new to the whole tech scene, what's the difference between airflow and static pressure fans? 

"Programming today is a race between software engineers striving to build bigger and better idiot-proof programs. And the Universe trying to produce bigger idiots.. The Universe is winning"

(Gaming PC) CPU:- i5 4690k 3.5GHZ . MOTHERBOARD:- MSI G45 Z97 Gaming . CPU Cooler:- H100i . GPU:- ASUS Geforce GTX-780ti Direct CU II OC -x2 SLI . RAM:- 16GB Corsair Vengeance 1600Mhz 4x4GB . CASE:- Corsair 750D Obsidian Series . PSU:- EVGA SuperNova 850W Gold . FANS:- x3 Corsair AF120 RED LED, x2 Corsair AF120 (Red rings) .STORAGE:- Kingston V300 120GB (Boot Drive), x2 1TB WD Blues, x2 500GB Samsungs .

Spoiler

KEYBOARD:- Logitech G19. | GAMEPAD:- Logitech G13. | HEADPHONES:- Logitech G35. | MOUSE:- CM Storm Sentinel Advanced II. | JOYSTICK:- Saitek ST200. | RACING WHEEL:- Logitech Driving Force GT. | OTHER:- TrackIR 5 + Vector Clip | CounterStrike XXL Mousemat

That's a stupidly helpful chart :P I'm pretty new to the whole tech scene, what's the difference between airflow and static pressure fans? 

Airflow for case fans. Static pressure for rads. The bigger fan will be quieter and move more air. 

|| MAELSTROM ||

|| i5 3570K W/ CM 212x @ 4GHz || r9 290 Windforce || Corsair Obsidian 450D || 2tb HDD + 120gb 840 evo SSD || 2x4gb Hyperx Fury Blue

Airflow for case fans. Static pressure for rads. The bigger fan will be quieter and move more air. 

So the perfect set up would be SP120's on the h100i rad and AF140's for the rest of the case? 

Spoiler

From the picture it would seem to be reds for case intakes and exhausts. Blues for direct component cooling.

Spoiler

Case Bitfenix Ghost, Mobo Asus Maximus VIII Ranger, CPU i7 6700K @4.2 Ghz cooled by Arctic cooling Freezer i30, (barely). GPU Nvidia GTX 970 Gigabyte G1 @1519Mhz core, RAM 16Gb Crucial Ballistix CL16 @2400Mhz. SSD 128GB Sandisk Ultra Plus as my OS drive. HDD's  1TB  Seagate ST31000524AS its OEM, 3TB Seagate Barracuda, 2x 500GB WDC Blue (RAID 0)

If it isn't working absolutely perfectly, according to all your assumptions, it is broken.

So the perfect set up would be SP120's on the h100i rad and AF140's for the rest of the case? 

yes. i also would suggest checking out bitfenix spectre and spectre pro's if they are any cheaper. 

|| MAELSTROM ||

|| i5 3570K W/ CM 212x @ 4GHz || r9 290 Windforce || Corsair Obsidian 450D || 2tb HDD + 120gb 840 evo SSD || 2x4gb Hyperx Fury Blue

yes. i also would suggest checking out bitfenix spectre and spectre pro's if they are any cheaper. 

I would probably pay a little more and stick to the Corsair for the extra sleek looks, the bitfenix seem a little flashy for my tastes. Out of curiosity judging from my original post how do you rate my airflow system? And would it be a good improvement to change out the fans but keeping the current airflow set up? I was unsure when I set it up. 

Spoiler

This should help you out.

http://youtu.be/gXAFYNE7Cl0

CORSAIR RIPPER: AMD 3970X - 3080TI & 2080TI - 64GB Ram - 2.5TB NVME SSD's - 35" G-Sync 120hz 1440P
MFB (Mining/Folding/Boinc): AMD 1600 - 3080 & 1080Ti - 16GB Ram - 240GB SSD
Dell OPTIPLEX:  Intel i5 6500 - 8GB Ram - 256GB SSD

PC & CONSOLE GAMER

This should help you out.

Jay is one of the funniest techies I've ever seen :P Thanks for the link

Spoiler

I would probably pay a little more and stick to the Corsair for the extra sleek looks, the bitfenix seem a little flashy for my tastes. Out of curiosity judging from my original post how do you rate my airflow system? And would it be a good improvement to change out the fans but keeping the current airflow set up? I was unsure when I set it up.

Your current set up is good and changing the fans will hardly affect temps. (A few degrees at best). The main reasons people but aftermarket fans is for either looks or noise.

Changing the fans to corsair ones won't affect noise much either as they arnt exactly the quietest things In the world.

However if you like the looks of them, by all means go for it.

CPU: i7 3770k@ 4.6Ghz@ 1.23v - GPU: Palit GTX 660ti - MOBO: Asrock Extreme 4 - RAM: Corsair vengeance 8GB 1600Mhz - PSU: OCZ 650watt - STORAGE: 128Gb corsair force GT SSD/ 1TB seagate barracuda 7200rpm

COOLING: NH-U14s/ 3x Noiseblocker blacksilent pros/ Silverstone Air Penetrator/ 2 corsair AF120s

Your current set up is good and changing the fans will hardly affect temps. (A few degrees at best). The main reasons people but aftermarket fans is for either looks or noise.

Changing the fans to corsair ones won't affect noise much either as they arnt exactly the quietest things In the world.

However if you like the looks of them, by all means go for it.

I will admit my choice of fans was pretty much chosen on looks... Those awesome red ring inserts just add pure awesome to he build :P

Spoiler

I will admit my choice of fans was pretty much chosen on looks... Those awesome red ring inserts just add pure awesome to he build :P

If you want red, can I suggest aerocool DS red fans. They look great and are much better than the corsair fans.

CPU: i7 3770k@ 4.6Ghz@ 1.23v - GPU: Palit GTX 660ti - MOBO: Asrock Extreme 4 - RAM: Corsair vengeance 8GB 1600Mhz - PSU: OCZ 650watt - STORAGE: 128Gb corsair force GT SSD/ 1TB seagate barracuda 7200rpm

COOLING: NH-U14s/ 3x Noiseblocker blacksilent pros/ Silverstone Air Penetrator/ 2 corsair AF120s

If you want red, can I suggest aerocool DS red fans. They look great and are much better than the corsair fans.

As awesome as the do look, they're a little to flashy for me (Pun intended) When I built the PC I went for the simplistic look :P

Not the greatest quality but you get the idea :P

post-104353-0-15313400-1412936423.jpg

Spoiler