Is H81M-GV4 board 'usable' for overclocking an i5 4440?

Go to solution Solved by Lotus,

No.

You need a z87 or z97 chipset board to overclock.

Also, any intel processor that is not a K series (like the i5-4690k) has a locked multiplier. This means you CANNOT overclock it the normal way by increasing the multiplier. Your processor falls into this, so you can't just overclock it like everyone else does. I'm not sure if you can overclock it with the base clock, but that's something most people don't want to mess with because if you change the base clock you change EVERYTHING such as QPI, memory, EVERYTHING, so it can lead not only to instability problems but other stuff as well like some data buses simply not working properly if you screw it up. Basically, unless you know what you're doing, stick to k-series processors for overclocking, so you're SOL.

Honestly, you're better off not overclocking and sticking to a budget i5 than finding an overclockable bundle for $250, because except for the G3258 you're limited to AMD. While their CPUs are more powerful overall for the money, they are less powerful on a single core. This means if your task is thread limited like most games, then AMD CPUs will actually perform worse because their extra cores and performance are not being used.

If yes, what is the optimal overclocking frequency for this processor?

The H81 platform officially doesn't support oc, and the same goes for the cpu, If the cpu was overclockable, some manifacturers allow overclock even on h81, but it's not. It's a no-go.

Welcome to the forum :D

Don't ask to ask, just ask... please 🤨

sudo chmod -R 000 /*

The H81 platform officially doesn't support oc, and the same goes for the cpu, If the cpu was overclockable, some manifacturers allow overclock even on h81, but it's not. It's a no-go.

Welcome to the forum :D

Shi... then what board-processor bundle is 'overclockable' for that $250 that these two cost together. Thanks

No.

Also, any intel processor that is not a K series (like the i5-4690k) has a locked multiplier. This means you CANNOT overclock it the normal way by increasing the multiplier. Your processor falls into this, so you can't just overclock it like everyone else does. I'm not sure if you can overclock it with the base clock, but that's something most people don't want to mess with because if you change the base clock you change EVERYTHING such as QPI, memory, EVERYTHING, so it can lead not only to instability problems but other stuff as well like some data buses simply not working properly if you screw it up. Basically, unless you know what you're doing, stick to k-series processors for overclocking, so you're SOL.

Honestly, you're better off not overclocking and sticking to a budget i5 than finding an overclockable bundle for $250, because except for the G3258 you're limited to AMD. While their CPUs are more powerful overall for the money, they are less powerful on a single core. This means if your task is thread limited like most games, then AMD CPUs will actually perform worse because their extra cores and performance are not being used.

No.

What processor from a 'k' series for the same price as a 4440 (or a 3570k) being a 1150 socket

What processor from a 'k' series for the same price as a 4440 (or a 3570k) being a 1150 socket

It doesn't exist. The cheapest K series lga1150 processors go for $230 retail. Combine that with a z97 chipset board and you're easily looking at $300+

The G3258 has an unlocked multiplier and is perfect for people on an even tighter budget, but it's not as good as even a stock clock i5-4460.

It doesn't exist. The cheapest K series lga1150 processors go for $230 retail.

The G3258 has an unlocked multiplier and is perfect for people on an even tighter budget, but it's not as good as even a stock clock i5-4460.

So, it's better to have a stock i5-4460 to an overclocked G3258? and it is a 1150 socket.

Shi... then what board-processor bundle is 'overclockable' for that $250 that these two cost together. Thanks

Pentium g3258 with a z97 motherboard :) some people got 4.8ghz on the stock cooler with that one  B)

Don't ask to ask, just ask... please 🤨

sudo chmod -R 000 /*

Yes. The benefit of the G3258 is that you can overclock it with a shitty h81 chipset board so long as the manufacturer released a bios update that can support it. It's a super cheap CPU that only has two cores without hyper threading. The i5-4460 actually has worse single core performance than an overclocked G3258, but since the G3258 only has two cores without hyper threading it loses on almost everything but a synthetic load. Not to mention the i5 can handle multi-tasking way better and you don't have to worry so much about programs in the background because they'll be running on another core, whereas in the G3258 there is no third or fourth core to run them on, so a core will not be fully devoted to the game you're running unlike in the i5.

If you're really struggling, you can buy a Z97 chipset board and the G3258, and then replace the G3258 when you have more cash. Because the G3258 is only about $60, it's no real big loss. Normally replacing a part is a huge money pit because you're out all the money you put toward the original as well as what you spend on the replacement, but the G3258 is just so damn cheap.

Yes. The benefit of the G3258 is that you can overclock it with a shitty h81 chipset board so long as the manufacturer released a bios update that can support it. It's a super cheap CPU that only has two cores without hyper threading. The i5-4460 actually has worse single core performance than an overclocked G3258, but since the G3258 only has two cores without hyper threading it loses on almost everything but a synthetic load. Not to mention the i5 can handle multi-tasking way better and you don't have to worry so much about programs in the background because they'll be running on another core, whereas in the G3258 there is no third or fourth core to run them on, so a core will not be fully devoted to the game you're running unlike in the i5.

If you're really struggling, you can buy a Z97 chipset board and the G3258, and then replace the G3258 when you have more cash. Because the G3258 is only about $60, it's no real big loss. Normally replacing a part is a huge money pit because you're out all the money you put toward the original as well as what you spend on the replacement, but the G3258 is just so damn cheap.

I'm not going to be multitasking, i just want to run FSX with good performance

FSX? Are you talking about Microsoft Flight Simulator X from 2006? You can easily get by with a G3258 for that old game.

FSX? Are you talking about Microsoft Flight Simulator X from 2006? You can easily get by with a G3258 for that old game.

What about a 3570k on a Asus H61M-E board + 8GB RAM + GT 730 Graphics Card for FSX and some other games/sims like ETS2 or SimCity, also some office work

Your GPU may be holding you back on any newer or demanding game, and an h-series MoBo with a K series CPU is just throwing money down the drain because you're paying for the unlocked multiplier in the CPU, but are still unable to overclock due to the MoBO. However, replace that GPU and you're good for most everything these days. Just make sure your PSU can support a higher performing GPU.

What about an i3 3240 with the H61M-E board from Asus and the GT730

Screw the GT 730. Lowest card you should get should be either the GTX 750 or the R7 260x. Any lower and you're paying less performance per dollar on the GPU alone, and way less performance per dollar for the entire build.

That's also the wrong chipset motherboard. U need a 7 series chipset to run that i3

huh?

Ryzen 7 5800X3D, Corsair H105, Gigabyte x570 Aorus Elite, Corsair Vengeance 32GB 3600MHz, EVGA RTX 3070Ti FTW3, Samsung 850 Pro / WD SN850 / OCZ Trion 150

ASUS MG279Q, Corsair Carbide 275R

That's also the wrong chipset motherboard. U need a 7 series chipset to run that i3

Uh no. You can use an h61 chipset board if it has had a bios update to support that generation i3, which that Asus board does have. Very similar to how you can use h81 and z87 chipset boards on haswell refresh so long as they've had a bios update.