NAS newbie question.

Hemanse

As the title says, this might be quite a stupid question, but does such a thing as a wireless NAS exist? I would love to somehow get rid of the mechanical drives in my PC as im a bit of a nut when it comes to noise, mechanical drive noise is just one of the things that can drive me crazy, might be related to my tinnitus, some sounds just give me a massive headache.

Im 99% sure the answer to my question is no, but routing cables in my apartment would be a nightmare just to install a NAS in another room :(

Ryzen 7 3700x, MSI B450 Tomahawk MAX, 16GB Ballistix Elite 3600MHz, MSI RTX 2070 Super Gaming X Trio, Corsair RM750x V2

It's possible, but you should be able to run cables to your NAS without a problem, since you could put it in a cupboard or something.

The performance and reliability of a wireless connection would be horrible, and it would slow down your Wi-Fi, so everything would be slower.

An alternative would be to use large SSDs, (mx100, 840 evo) you would be okay, and it shouldn't be so bad, and your get s nice performance and reliability boost as a bonus

Remember to be a good citizen and choose a 'best answer' when your problem has been resolved!

(that way people know when a problem's been resolved)

It's possible, but you should be able to run cables to your NAS without a problem, since you could put it in a cupboard or something.

The performance and reliability of a wireless connection would be horrible, and it would slow down your Wi-Fi, so everything would be slower.

An alternative would be to use large SSDs, (mx100, 840 evo) you would be okay, and it shouldn't be so bad, and your get s nice performance and reliability boost as a bonus

Yeah the performance of wireless is always kinda shitty, guess i might have to run some cables, SSD isnt really that viable when it comes to storage, even if you wanna get like a tb its gonna cost quite a big chunk of money.

Ryzen 7 3700x, MSI B450 Tomahawk MAX, 16GB Ballistix Elite 3600MHz, MSI RTX 2070 Super Gaming X Trio, Corsair RM750x V2

If you buy a nas it would cost you a bit, too...

Yeah running a cable would be best

Remember to be a good citizen and choose a 'best answer' when your problem has been resolved!

Hey Hemanse,

just to clear things up, by wireless NAS, do you mean a NAS with no cable at all or a NAS that is not connected to the computer, but just to the router?

NAS generally stands for Network-Attached Storage and are attached to the router via LAN cable and that's it. They are accessed over the network (home or internet) and do not require any direct physical connection to your computer, tablet or any other device. 

The speed basically depends on how you access your NAS. If you try to access it over the internet, your speed would depend both on your home upload speed (since the NAS will be uploading data to you) and your device download speed (since you will be downloading data from the NAS). If you access the NAS in your home network, the speed would depend only on your router's speed capabilities (which are far better than internet's capabilities). Also depends on what you are doing (streaming, file transferring, multiple access devices, etc.) and how powerful the NAS itself is (CPU, RAM, types of drives inside, etc.).

If you are looking for something that is not attached anywhere, I could suggest checking out WD My Passport Wireless whick is a portable drive with up to 2TB of storage and can be accessed wirelessly from multiple devices, has a SD card reader and other useful features. Here's a link: http://www.wdc.com/en/products/products.aspx?id=1330#Tab2

Hope this helps! Feel free to ask if you have any questions :)

Captain_WD

If this helped you, like and choose it as best answer - you might help someone else with the same issue. ^_^
WDC Representative, http://www.wdc.com/ 

Hey Hemanse,

just to clear things up, by wireless NAS, do you mean a NAS with no cable at all or a NAS that is not connected to the computer, but just to the router?

NAS generally stands for Network-Attached Storage and are attached to the router via LAN cable and that's it. They are accessed over the network (home or internet) and do not require any direct physical connection to your computer, tablet or any other device. 

The speed basically depends on how you access your NAS. If you try to access it over the internet, your speed would depend both on your home upload speed (since the NAS will be uploading data to you) and your device download speed (since you will be downloading data from the NAS). If you access the NAS in your home network, the speed would depend only on your router's speed capabilities (which are far better than internet's capabilities). Also depends on what you are doing (streaming, file transferring, multiple access devices, etc.) and how powerful the NAS itself is (CPU, RAM, types of drives inside, etc.).

If you are looking for something that is not attached anywhere, I could suggest checking out WD My Passport Wireless whick is a portable drive with up to 2TB of storage and can be accessed wirelessly from multiple devices, has a SD card reader and other useful features. Here's a link: http://www.wdc.com/en/products/products.aspx?id=1330#Tab2

Hope this helps! Feel free to ask if you have any questions :)

Captain_WD

Gonna take a look at that, what im looking for really is to be able to remove the mechanical drive from my pc and have storage somewhere else, preferablly without having to run cables, someone suggested maybe using powerline adapters, obviously not as fast as running ethernet straight up, but im guessing still alot better then wifi.

Gonna take a look at that, what im looking for really is to be able to remove the mechanical drive from my pc and have storage somewhere else, preferablly without having to run cables, someone suggested maybe using powerline adapters, obviously not as fast as running ethernet straight up, but im guessing still alot better then wifi.

Power line or MOCA would be nearly as good as running a cable direct

Power line or MOCA would be nearly as good as running a cable direct

Been reading some reviews and it seems rather random what people think of powerline ethernet, seems like its a hit or miss, i doubt its gonna be as fast as direct plugging in, but a bit slower is fine, but i guess it also relies on the quality of the powerlines in ones apartment or house.

Been reading some reviews and it seems rather random what people think of powerline ethernet, seems like its a hit or miss, i doubt its gonna be as fast as direct plugging in, but a bit slower is fine, but i guess it also relies on the quality of the powerlines in ones apartment or house.

Usually it's double or nothing - if the lines are connected to the same breaker, you'll have good speed. If it's not, you get 0.

Usually it's double or nothing - if the lines are connected to the same breaker, you'll have good speed. If it's not, you get 0.

That's not true, they can hop breakers, theres just more degradation then if they were on the same line.

OP: I run PowerLine in my house to connect my desktop to my network, and I get about 6MB/s down (8MB/s connection to my ISP), local transfer is in the 100Mb/s range. So yes, it is slower than wired with gigabit ethernet, but unless you have a very robust wireless network, it'll probably be faster (assuming your house is well wired).

15" MBP TB

AMD 5800X | Gigabyte Aorus Master | EVGA 2060 KO Ultra | Define 7 || Blade Server: Intel 3570k | GD65 | Corsair C70 | 13TB

That's not true, they can hop breakers, theres just more degradation then if they were on the same line.

OP: I run PowerLine in my house to connect my desktop to my network, and I get about 6MB/s down (8MB/s connection to my ISP), local transfer is in the 100Mb/s range. So yes, it is slower than wired with gigabit ethernet, but unless you have a very robust wireless network, it'll probably be faster (assuming your house is well wired).

oh

I guess it depends on the system, then

It won't slow down your wifi, though! So that's still a reason to use it.

oh

I guess it depends on the system, then

It won't slow down your wifi, though! So that's still a reason to use it.

I have read on multiple occasions that Powerline's performance and

reliability can be significantly affected by the quality of the

infrastructure on which you run it. Two buddies of mine used to run

it in their appartment and seemed to be very happy with it, but their

appartment had decent wiring (built in the 60s, and generally speaking

we have pretty good wiring around here unless it's a really old

building whose wiring is ancient).

I don't have any personal experiences with it though, but this is what

I've read/heard.

BUILD LOGS: HELIOS - Latest Update: 2015-SEP-06 ::: ZEUS - BOTW 2013-JUN-28 ::: APOLLO - Complete: 2014-MAY-10
OTHER STUFF: Cable Lacing Tutorial ::: What Is ZFS? ::: mincss Primer ::: LSI RAID Card Flashing Tutorial
FORUM INFO: Community Standards ::: The Moderating Team ::: 10TB+ Storage Showoff Topic