Finnaly put ethernet into my room!

stuparyk

After months of convincing my dad finally allowed me to run a cable from upstairs along the floor joists and int my room. Its not pretty but hey, it gets the job done. I also went to staples and picked up one of those shmancy network switches, next thing is to build a NAS :)5WpQhF9.jpg

Maybe a bright red cable wasn't the best idea..

f7c1103bb8d7ebb2ec0b198b0db9741b.png

If you ever need help with a build, read the following before posting: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/3061-build-plan-thread-recommendations-please-read-before-posting/
Also, make sure to quote a post or tag a member when replying or else they won't get a notification that you replied to them.

Yeah my dad didnt want me buying 500 odd feet of cable and tools, he said here I bought you this 100 foot red cable, take it or leave it :P

Yeah my dad didnt want me buying 500 odd feet of cable and tools, he said here I bought you this 100 foot red cable, take it or leave it :P

Well, assuming you don't have very much of your own spending money, then heck, take the red cable!

But buying Cable is not expensive. Depending on where you live, you can go to a computer shop like MicroCenter, TigerDirect, NCIX, Canada Computers, etc, or go online with Monoprice or ebay, and you can get 100ft cables for dirt cheap. Or you could even just buy a bulk roll. I bought 100 meters (~300 ft) of Cat5e a couple years ago for what, $50? Less? And I still have at least half of it left.

I'm in an apartment right now myself, so I just run the cables under the heaters (water boiler heaters, so pipes run through every room and there's a few inches of access space under the pipes that I can route). Once I buy a house, I'll be wiring the whole damn thing with Cat6a or Cat7 (If it's affordable by then), and run them all through the walls with proper keystone jacks... but that's a huge process, and I won't be even getting a house for several more years anyway.

For Sale: Meraki Bundle

iPhone Xr 128 GB Product Red - HP Spectre x360 13" (i5 - 8 GB RAM - 256 GB SSD) - HP ZBook 15v G5 15" (i7-8850H - 16 GB RAM - 512 GB SSD - NVIDIA Quadro P600)

i cant see the picture :( stupid work computer... when i did mine i ended up just drilling holes in the floor to get cables downstairs cuz i was lazy and didnt want to run it through the wall(we're renting and i wasnt going to rewire the entire house for free) , easier than running them down stairs, and less of a tripping hazard.  but like @dalekphalm said, cable is hella cheap these days.  1000 feet of cat 5e is only $100 (current price at my workplace). worth having it on hand just in case. i make cable all the time for friends and stuff (since i get my bulk cable free)

How do Reavers clean their spears?

|Specs in profile|

The Wheel of Time turns, and Ages come and pass, leaving memories that become legend. Legend fades to myth, and even myth is long forgotten when the Age that gave it birth comes again.

I think I have a coxial cable that I can pull in my room and replace with a Cat5e cable. Just got to find the other end. 1000mbps sure beats 100mbps that I am running now.