Error code 15 on the motherboard

Hey everyone,

I plan to build a PC with a decent mid range spec. I have purchased the following:

Intel DZ68BC motherboard
Intel core i5-3550 processor
Kingston Hyperx Fury 2x8GB 1866Mhz RAM
Sapphire Radeon R9270X 2GB graphics card

When I plug everything together and try turning it system on, I get 3 beeps-about 2 to 2.5 seconds break-3 beeps again. This issue continues. I don't get any display on the monitor. The motherboard shows an error code 15.

I tried to look for a solution on the internet and the closest I found is that it must the memory frequency of the RAM. The core i5-3550 has a memory frequency of 1333/1600Mhz. Could this be the problem, that they aren't compatible with each other?

Do I need to get a better, more powerful processor? Do I need to get a lesser powered RAM or could I manually pull the memory frequency down? Or do I need to do something else entirely?

I really appreciate you guys taking the time to read this.

I'm new to computer stuff like these and I'm really excited to learn more. I hope to get my first ever PC build fixed as soon as I can. Waiting for a bullet response. Thank you very much.

Natesh Nathan

Does your motherboard support MemOK!? or have a button named that? If so push that before boot and it will limit the RAM to a supported speed.

But yes if your CPU can only take 1333/1600 and you have 1866 then that may well be your issue. Get slower RAM (other than changing processor as you may need to change the motherboard as well)

Intel I9-9900k (5Ghz) Asus ROG Maximus XI Formula | Corsair Vengeance 16GB DDR4-4133mhz | ASUS ROG Strix 2080Ti | EVGA Supernova G2 1050w 80+Gold | Samsung 950 Pro M.2 (512GB) + (1TB) | Full EK custom water loop |IN-WIN S-Frame (No. 263/500)

Yes, try pressing the "MemOK!" button on your motherboard if it has it. I've done a quick searchup, and I'll try and help. Check if your motherboard has any bent CPU pin sockets, and try pulling out all the RAM and put them in one by one in different slots, to see if there is any possible errors with the RAM. But as @Altecice said, your motherboard does not support 1866 RAM. If your Mobo does not have a "MemOK!" button, you just have to get a newer motherboard that supports 1866. That's all I can really help you with. 

My build: tis be ordered

Does your motherboard support MemOK!? or have a button named that? If so push that before boot and it will limit the RAM to a supported speed.

But yes if your CPU can only take 1333/1600 and you have 1866 then that may well be your issue. Get slower RAM (other than changing processor as you may need to change the motherboard as well)

Well my motherboard doesn't have the MemOK button. Is it possible to plug in a lesser powered ram and try getting it started? And ifever it does, could I get in the BIOS and plug in my 8GB rams and then manually pull the frequency down to match the processor/motherboard? I'm just thinking out loud here.

Yes, try pressing the "MemOK!" button on your motherboard if it has it. I've done a quick searchup, and I'll try and help. Check if your motherboard has any bent CPU pin sockets, and try pulling out all the RAM and put them in one by one in different slots, to see if there is any possible errors with the RAM. But as @Altecice said, your motherboard does not support 1866 RAM. If your Mobo does not have a "MemOK!" button, you just have to get a newer motherboard that supports 1866. That's all I can really help you with. 

So it's the motherboard I have to change and not the rams or processor? I'm just confirming what you said just to be sure.

So it's the motherboard I have to change and not the rams or processor? I'm just confirming what you said just to be sure.

yep get new RAM thats slower.

Intel I9-9900k (5Ghz) Asus ROG Maximus XI Formula | Corsair Vengeance 16GB DDR4-4133mhz | ASUS ROG Strix 2080Ti | EVGA Supernova G2 1050w 80+Gold | Samsung 950 Pro M.2 (512GB) + (1TB) | Full EK custom water loop |IN-WIN S-Frame (No. 263/500)