Monitor Setup: 2x1080p (portrait) with 4k in middle (landscape)

G'day TechTips community,

I am looking at taking my current 3 monitor setup and making it into a 4k with two 1080p monitors on the sides, but this is slightly od as what I would LIKE to do, I haven't heard of many people doing.

I would like to turn two of my 24" 1080p monitors to portrate and have a 4k display in the middle (landscape/traditional orientation) but obviously with the same pixel density accross all 3 (or as close to that it's not anoying). Another restriction for this project is that I already own 3 Asus VN248H monitors, which I intend to keep as I need them for colour accuracy, so they will be the two either side of the 4k display (that I have not purchased yet). The Asus VN248H monitors I have already are 23.8"(60.5cm), 16:9, IPS monitors with a pixel pitch of 0.2745mm.

• Has anyone here done this or attempted to and could share any insight?
  • Can anyone see why this might be a problem or why I am not seeing this as common place?
  • Any general ideas, feedpack, tips or advice for this project would be greatly appreciated.

Cheers, JJ.

@JordanJames1992 - The reason you're not seeing it commonplace is that it's useless for gaming. For productivity it is ideal though and will work fine. It's been my primary method whenever I've had the desk space.

Though I've never used a 4k monitor as primary as I greatly dislike the 4k experience for anything other than content consumption, but it will work perfectly fine.

Here is a link to my monitor setup which I've just ordered: http://i.imgur.com/BG6H3Pt.png

Okay, thanks @vinyldash303 I was planning on upgrading hardware at the same time, but it seems monitor upgrades are a lot more less frequent than the actual PC hardware.

And @Dredgy, cheers for the link, I am a graphic Designer and this would be the main reason for this setup, though I do game also and while I don't intend to do surround gaming (using all 3) I would only game in 4K with the centre monitor.

Cheers again.