[Solved] PSU dead on first boot?

dfsdfgfkjsefoiqzemnd

I installed a slightly heavier PSU tonight.  Went from BeQuiet Dark Power Pro P9 650W to P10 850W

As per BeQuiet's recommendation, I replaced all the cables.  Everything is connected just fine and the PC booted on the first attempt.

HOWEVER when I just about to actually start using it, it shut down on its own and now refuses to do anything. 

The power button on the motherboard is illuminated as it usually would be, but the PC doesn't respond to either the regular power button or the one on the motherboard.  No case ligting, the fans don't start, nothing. 

I don't smell anything weird, the connectors are all solid ... I just don't know what to do.  Any suggestions before I put the old PSU next to the case and hotwire the whole thing to see if it boots that way? 

put the old PSU next to the case and hotwire the whole thing to see if it boots that way

So I got ready to hotwire in the old PSU.

As I flicked off the switch on the back of the PSU, the case lit up like a christmas tree for a millisecond. Interior lights, cathodes, all LED fans, etc.

Flicking it on and off again produced the same result. Somewhere halfway between both positions, the switch did allow for full contact.

I put it back on the "On" position and suddenly it booted. Ran Furmark for 10 minutes with both side panels off, and that went fine. Put the panels on and it boots again.

Now it's running just fine, but I think there's a loose connection or a problem with the PSU's switch. This problem must have been caused by something after all.

Not sure if I should keep using it normally or if I should try to re-create the problem and RMA it.

I'd recommend submitting an RMA to go ahead and get this fixed while you can. It could become a hassle in the future.

Project Tomahawk:

Spoiler

CPU: Intel Core i7 4790k

Motherboard: Asus Maximus VII Hero

CPU Cooler: Corsair H100i

Memory: 16GB Kingston HyperX Fury 1866 Mhz

GPU: Asus Strix RX 480

PSU: Corsair RM1000

Storage: 2x Western Digital 2TB Enterprise + 240GB Crucial M500 SSD

Case: Corsair Air 540

Additional: Cablemod C-Series black/red kit, SP120, AF140 and AF140 w/ red LED's all around

Project Frankenstein:

Spoiler

CPU: AMD FX 6100

Motherboard: MSI 970 SLI Krait Edition

CPU Cooler: Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO

Memory: 8GB G.Skill Ripjaws X 1866 Mhz

GPU: MSI R9 280 3G Twin Frozr

PSU: Seasonic M12II EVO 620W

Storage: Western Digital 1TB Enterprise + 240GB Partiot Torch SSD

Case: Fractal Design Define S

Sheila (Server):

Spoiler

Dell R210:
CPU: Intel Xeon x3450

Memory: 12GB Crucial ECC 1600 Mhz

Storage: Seagate 3TB Constellation 

Marvin (Server)

Spoiler

Dell R210ii

CPU: Intel Xeon E3 1230v2

Memory: 12GB Crucial ECC 1600Mhz

Storage: Seagate 3TB Constellation

It's been running fine for an hour or two.  Benched the PC without issues, browsed a bit, played a bit. 

Then suddenly it shut down (just complete loss of power) and rebooted 2 seconds later.  I started writing this post, then it did the same thing again. 

Obviously there's something wrong with this thing.  Guess I'll be calling the shop tomorrow. 

I sure hope I can just swap the PSU itself.  Not in the mood for more cable managment and because I also use this PC for work I need to have it running reliably by Tuesday.

RMA the PSU. On my last build I had an EVGA power supply do the same thing. Brand new, wouldn't work right. Better to play it safe than end up with fired components.

EDIT: Glad to see you have it sorted all out, sans the cable management :P.

▶ Learn from yesterday, live for today, hope for tomorrow. The important thing is not to stop questioning. - Einstein◀

Please remember to mark a thread as solved if your issue has been fixed, it helps other who may stumble across the thread at a later point in time.

hehe, that's sorted now as well. PC is all closed up again and purring like a kitten.

That pic was with the disconnected 850W inside the case and the 650W actually feeding the components from the side of the case. Hence the double wiring.