Backlit mechanical keyboard with detachable cable

Maowhree
Go to solution Solved by Feronix,

Have a look at the CM Storm range of mechanical keyboards.

- Red, blue or brown switches

- Red or white backlight

- Detachable cable (Mirco USB I think).

Lots of designs and style as well (black keycaps with lettering on the front, TKL boards, arrow keys in numpad, full-size, etc.)

Hi, new user here :)

I'm looking for a keyboard which has:

-mechanical keyswitches (don't really care about the type, sound or actuation point.. I tried many and all it takes is usually a little getting used to the weight of the keys)

-backlighting (simple backlighting, doesn't need to be RGB)

-detachable cable (probably the most important feature in my case, I want to have that freedom of taking the keyboard and put it away whenever i need more space for studying on textbooks or clean the desk)

Possibly a simple design (nothing too show-your-friends-you're-a-pro-gamer-like), possibly black, possibly w/ numpad, possibly without macro's, possibly low-budget but no worries, I'll consider anything you guys will be willing to suggest. Thank you for reading :)

CPU: INTEL i7-4770K | CPU Cooler: Noctua NH-C12P w/ NF-A15 | MoBo: Asus Z87-Deluxe | RAM: Corsair Vengeance Pro 8GB (2x4GB) @2400MHz | GPU: Asus GTX 760 DirectCU II | PSU: Seasonic X-850 (KM3)

CASE: Phanteks Enthoo Pro w/ white LEDs | SSD: Samsung 840 EVO 250GB (Boot Drive) | HDD: Seagate Barracuda 2TB (Storage) | ODD(s): LG BH10 BD Rewriter + LG DVD Rewriter | 5.25": Scythe Kama Panel 3.1 |

GAMEPAD: XBOX 360 | KEYBOARD: CM Storm Quick Fire Rapid-i | OS: Windows 8.1 64 bit | MONITOR: Samsung SyncMaster T220HD | SPEAKERS: Logitech LS21

Have a look at the CM Storm range of mechanical keyboards.

- Red, blue or brown switches

- Red or white backlight

- Detachable cable (Mirco USB I think).

Lots of designs and style as well (black keycaps with lettering on the front, TKL boards, arrow keys in numpad, full-size, etc.)

Ducky Shine 3!

-Loads of backlight colours!

-Most of the popular switches

-Detachable cable

-Built like a tank!

or a CM board

CPU: Intel Core i9-12900K 3.2 GHz 16-Core Processor | Cooler: Corsair iCUE H170i ELITE LCD 82.9 CFM Liquid CPU Cooler | Mobo: Asus ROG MAXIMUS Z690 HERO ATX LGA1700 Motherboard | Memory: Corsair Dominator Platinum RGB 32 GB (2 x 16 GB) DDR5-5200 CL40 Memory | GPU: Asus GeForce RTX 3080 10GB 10 GB STRIX GAMING OC Video Card | Storage: 1x Western Digital Black SN850 1 TB M.2-2280 NVME Solid State Drive + 2x Sabrent Rocket 2 TB M.2-2280 NVME Solid State Drive | PSU: Asus ROG Thor 1200P 1200 W 80+ Platinum Certified Fully Modular ATX Power Supply | Case: Corsair iCUE 7000X RGB ATX Full Tower Case | Keyboard: Filco Majestouch-2 | Mouse: Logitech G903

The CM Storm Quickfire Ultimate looks pretty cool.. are you a CM Storm keyboard owner? Are they as good as they say?
The price is very attractive (i was looking at something a liiittle under but i doubt I'll find anything good ~80€), are we talking about quality or affordable price? or both?

@Krazykaram: That one looks hard to find in european stores and very expensive too, but will look into Duckies. :)

CPU: INTEL i7-4770K | CPU Cooler: Noctua NH-C12P w/ NF-A15 | MoBo: Asus Z87-Deluxe | RAM: Corsair Vengeance Pro 8GB (2x4GB) @2400MHz | GPU: Asus GTX 760 DirectCU II | PSU: Seasonic X-850 (KM3)

CASE: Phanteks Enthoo Pro w/ white LEDs | SSD: Samsung 840 EVO 250GB (Boot Drive) | HDD: Seagate Barracuda 2TB (Storage) | ODD(s): LG BH10 BD Rewriter + LG DVD Rewriter | 5.25": Scythe Kama Panel 3.1 |

GAMEPAD: XBOX 360 | KEYBOARD: CM Storm Quick Fire Rapid-i | OS: Windows 8.1 64 bit | MONITOR: Samsung SyncMaster T220HD | SPEAKERS: Logitech LS21

I live in the UK and got mine online! UK layout!

CPU: Intel Core i9-12900K 3.2 GHz 16-Core Processor | Cooler: Corsair iCUE H170i ELITE LCD 82.9 CFM Liquid CPU Cooler | Mobo: Asus ROG MAXIMUS Z690 HERO ATX LGA1700 Motherboard | Memory: Corsair Dominator Platinum RGB 32 GB (2 x 16 GB) DDR5-5200 CL40 Memory | GPU: Asus GeForce RTX 3080 10GB 10 GB STRIX GAMING OC Video Card | Storage: 1x Western Digital Black SN850 1 TB M.2-2280 NVME Solid State Drive + 2x Sabrent Rocket 2 TB M.2-2280 NVME Solid State Drive | PSU: Asus ROG Thor 1200P 1200 W 80+ Platinum Certified Fully Modular ATX Power Supply | Case: Corsair iCUE 7000X RGB ATX Full Tower Case | Keyboard: Filco Majestouch-2 | Mouse: Logitech G903

No mate, I own a Corsair K70 black at the moment but I'm very confident that the CM Storm boards are absolutely fine. It's no Ducky, but then again it's half the price of a Ducky :)

The CM Storm Quickfire Ultimate looks pretty cool.. are you a CM Storm keyboard owner? Are they as good as they say?

The price is very attractive (i was looking at something a liiittle under but i doubt I'll find anything good ~80€), are we talking about quality or affordable price? or both?

@Krazykaram: That one looks hard to find in european stores and very expensive too, but will look into Duckies. :)

I own a cm storm ultimate quickfire with blue switches and a blue backlight, its simple. no software, no extra features for gaming or anything but it has n key rollover and the polling rate can be set to  1000Hz, 500Hz, 250Hz, and 125Hz. backlighting can also be set to standard everything solid lit, 'breathing mode' where it slowly gets dim and light and the last mode just lights up WASD and the arrow keys. its built like a damn tank, its a heavy board though, 3 pounds due to the steel plate in it. but unless throw it out the window and run it over, your not gonna break it. the cable is removable, plugs into the middle in the back and has cable routing notches so the cable can come straight out the back or either side. 

Overall if your looking for a cheaper board thats backlit and mechanical and also has a removable keyboard this is your best bet, you get what you pay for in terms of features, but the build quality more than makes up for the lack of extras. also the key caps are nice. 

Ducky Shine 3!

-Loads of backlight colours!

-Most of the popular switches

-Detachable cable

-Built like a tank!

or a CM board

I have to agree on that, my Duck Shine 2 has token a bump or two over the 18 months or so I had it.

Cry Havoc!

Damn, yesterday there was a sweet discount on a CM Storm Quickfire Ultimate (~95€ shipped with Italian Layout), now back to 110€ and a little out of budget.

WASD Keyboards look pretty sweet, as do MANY other custom manufactured keyboards in the US, but dollar/euro ratio has been very inconvenient lately and shipping taxes are otrageously expensive. KBT Keyboards look fine as well but it looks like they're only UK, DE and ES layout (can't be too sure though, I can't access their site, probably due to maintenance?). Thanks tho. :)

Will probably get a CM Storm w/o numpad, I can live without it after all.. Feel free to comment with any more keyboard which you think are ok tho, purchase is scheduled for next month :)