PC Turning on by self randomly

peterpepo

Hello guys,

I am looking for help. My new build (actually it's not that new, it's almost 2 months since I built it) is turning on by itself totally randomly.

My pc specs are following:

PSU: Seasonic X-Series 750 || MOBO: MSI Z97 Gaming 7 || CPU: 4790k || RAM: 2x8GB Corsair Vengeance XMPP 1.3 -> 2133Mhz || GPU: Evga GTX780 SC ACX || SSD: 256GB Samsung 840pro || HDD: WD Caviar Black 2TB
CASE: Obsidian 450D - but I don't think that 'stuck powerbutton' or something like this is causing my problems.

The pc boots absolutely randomly, but I have noticed something interesting.
When I am using it regularly, it works just fine. For example, if I use pc in the morning, before work, then it won't turn on, in the evening.
But when I am day or two completely of my house, I return back and find my computer running.

I am running windows 8.1 x64. Every possible option in bios to wake pc by hardware (PCI, USB, WOL) are disabled. Bios running in UEFI only mode.
There have been multiple bios updates, since I finished the build, which I was hoping would fix this problem, but no luck, actually I am not sure that this is caused by mobo. I also tried reseting to default bios values, still no luck.
Btw, i am using powerline adaptor from D-Link, as my network solution, just in case it could have something with my problem.

So, please help me - to diagnose and ideally fix my problem. I am starting to be desperate, i don't have even idea, where could be this coming from.

Thanks

To be honest this is the first time I heard about computers turning on by itself But Can you check your AVR if your using one that is. 

CPU: I5 7400 | Motherboard: MSI H110M  | RAM: 16GB G-Skill 2400mhz  | GPU:  NVIDIA  MSI Gaming 4G GTX 970 | Case: Tecware Quad | Cooling: Stock| Storage: Kingston 120gb SSD, 1TB Drive ,  | PSU: Seasonic 620 Watt 80+ Bronze Full Modular | Display: Devant 50 Inch Smart TV   | 

Do you have wake timers enabled in your Power settings?

Yes, they are enabled. But, i am not putting PC in sleep at all. I always shut it down completely. No power led's are blinking, no power consumption, nothing. It turns on from complete shutdown !

To be honest this is the first time I heard about computers turning on by itself But Can you check your AVR if your using one that is. 

Sorry, what is AVR  how to check that.

CPU: I5 7400 | Motherboard: MSI H110M  | RAM: 16GB G-Skill 2400mhz  | GPU:  NVIDIA  MSI Gaming 4G GTX 970 | Case: Tecware Quad | Cooling: Stock| Storage: Kingston 120gb SSD, 1TB Drive ,  | PSU: Seasonic 620 Watt 80+ Bronze Full Modular | Display: Devant 50 Inch Smart TV   | 

In your Bios or on your Network settings have you got WOL (Wake On Lan) enabled, It could be a chance something else on your home network is waking the PC. or could be simply something like the connection going stale then live? so somoene rebooting your router or switch? 

OR you PC is crashing on shutdown and simply recovering to the desktop? 

ICT professional, Addicted to PC

In your Bios or on your Network settings have you got WOL (Wake On Lan) enabled, It could be a chance something else on your home network is waking the PC. or could be simply something like the connection going stale then live? so somoene rebooting your router or switch? 

OR you PC is crashing on shutdown and simply recovering to the desktop? 

It doesn't seem WOL related to me.

Today, i downloaded Wake On Lan android app to test this feature.

Firstly i enabled in BIOS Enable By PCI /this includes also wake on lan/ and disabled EuP2013. It worked fine, I was able to wake my pc up.

Then i disabled PCI and enabled EuP, which means "network card dead" during power-off state. Then I was not able to wake my computer anymore.

So it seems to me, that WOL disable does it work

Pc crashing - I don't know, it doesn't reboot immediately, at all. Sometimes it takes 1, sometimes 2 days since my last usage of computer to boot this way.

This article right here http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/windows/desktop/aa373229(v=vs.85).aspx

In Windows 8, the default shutdown behavior puts the system into hybrid shutdown (S4) and all devices are put into D3. Remote wake from hybrid shutdown (S4) or classic shutdown (S5) is completely unsupported. In Windows 8, NICs are explicitly not armed for wake in both the classic shutdown (S5) and hybrid shutdown (S4) cases because users expect zero power consumption and battery drain in the shutdown state. This behavior removes the possibility of spurious wakes when explicit shutdown was requested. As a result, Wake-On-LAN is only ever supported from sleep (S3) or hibernate (S4) in Windows 8.

Note that in Windows 8, hybrid shutdown (S4) stops user sessions but the contents of kernel sessions are written to hard disk. This enables faster boot.

According to this, default behaviour of Windows8 is to put computer to Hybrid Sleep (S4) state. Is something able to wake computer from this state, at all ? For example windows scheduled tasks, mouse, keyboard, etc ?

Also, is there anybody aware of some kind of utility to find out, to which power state did windows set the computer ? In other words: i would like to trace, whether my computer is going to S0-S5 states.

when it boots randomly it loads Windows normally or loads the BIOS-Bios errors?

"like if you could buy two Xbox Ones, put them togheter and actually play games at 1080P! Ha! BURN"

-Linus

when it boots randomly it loads Windows normally or loads the BIOS-Bios errors?

It boots windows normally.

I come to my computer and windows is booted, waiting for user password.

Do you turn it off at the mains? could litterly be your power settings in bios set to "Power on" after power resume? and somone is unplugging it / replugging it? at the wall i mean! 

ICT professional, Addicted to PC

Do you turn it off at the mains? could litterly be your power settings in bios set to "Power on" after power resume? and somone is unplugging it / replugging it? at the wall i mean! 

Nope.

I turn via Right Click on windows logo -> shutdown. 

No unplugging from the wall.

And bios is set to POWER OFF after power resume.

Try changing The CMOS Battery. Maybe its discharged and after some days it cant Give enough power to the CMOS , so the system boots up to prevent the loss of the bios settings

"like if you could buy two Xbox Ones, put them togheter and actually play games at 1080P! Ha! BURN"

-Linus

I have the same problem occassionally OP, it could just be your power from your wall dropping, causing your PC to start itself?

Gaming PC: Case: NZXT Phantom 820 Black | PSU: XFX 750w PRO Black Edition 80Plus Gold (Platinum) | CPU: Intel Core i5 4690K | CPU Cooler: BE QUIET! Dark Rock Pro 2 | MB: ASUS Sabertooth Z97 Mark S | RAM: 24GB Kingston HyperX and Corsair Vengeance 1866MHz | GPU: MSI R9 280X 3G | SSD: Samsung 840 Evo 250GB | HDD: 9TB Total | Keyboard: K70 RGB Brown | Mouse: R.A.T MMO7

Laptop: HP Envy 15-j151sa | 1920x1080 60HZ LED | APU: AMD A10-5750M 2.5GHZ - 3.5GHZ | 8GB DDR3 1600mhz | GPU: AMD  HD 8650G + 8750M Dual Graphics | 1TB SSHD

After a power-cut when the power returns, some PCs can restart/turn on by themselves

Remount your motherboard to your case and make sure to use all of the risers. It could be shorting.

| i5-2500k | ASRock Extreme3 Gen3 | G.Skill 8GB | 2x XFX R9 280X | EVGA 1000W G2 Gold |

Hello guys,

I am looking for help. My new build (actually it's not that new, it's almost 2 months since I built it) is turning on by itself totally randomly.

My pc specs are following:

PSU: Seasonic X-Series 750 || MOBO: MSI Z97 Gaming 7 || CPU: 4790k || RAM: 2x8GB Corsair Vengeance XMPP 1.3 -> 2133Mhz || GPU: Evga GTX780 SC ACX || SSD: 256GB Samsung 840pro || HDD: WD Caviar Black 2TB
CASE: Obsidian 450D - but I don't think that 'stuck powerbutton' or something like this is causing my problems.

The pc boots absolutely randomly, but I have noticed something interesting.
When I am using it regularly, it works just fine. For example, if I use pc in the morning, before work, then it won't turn on, in the evening.
But when I am day or two completely of my house, I return back and find my computer running.

I am running windows 8.1 x64. Every possible option in bios to wake pc by hardware (PCI, USB, WOL) are disabled. Bios running in UEFI only mode.
There have been multiple bios updates, since I finished the build, which I was hoping would fix this problem, but no luck, actually I am not sure that this is caused by mobo. I also tried reseting to default bios values, still no luck.
Btw, i am using powerline adaptor from D-Link, as my network solution, just in case it could have something with my problem.

So, please help me - to diagnose and ideally fix my problem. I am starting to be desperate, i don't have even idea, where could be this coming from.

Thanks

I might have a solution for you, this has also happened to me, turned my computer completely off, only to find it running in the morning. The culprit was a piece of software from the MB manufacture (Asus) it was some kind of charging app or something, so it got powered on by the fact that there was a USB device attached.

If you have a software suite or anything that came from your MB manufacture uninstall it and see if this solves your troubles.

Try changing The CMOS Battery. Maybe its discharged and after some days it cant Give enough power to the CMOS , so the system boots up to prevent the loss of the bios settings

Bios is holding it's settings perfectly, no settings loosing or whatever, but I will try this as a next step.

I have the same problem occassionally OP, it could just be your power from your wall dropping, causing your PC to start itself?

Don't know. Brother has some power supply, different mobo in the same house, working just fine, no booting without reason.

After a power-cut when the power returns, some PCs can restart/turn on by themselves

Any way to avoid this ? I am really getting tired of this issue. Can't be PSU or MOBO be faulty, so it "decides" to boot ?

Remount your motherboard to your case and make sure to use all of the risers. It could be shorting.

I am using Corsair Obsidian 450d case. There are no riser screws in the package, however all places, where motherboard can raise are higher, so the board doesn't touch the plate. Risers are "embedded" in the case.

I might have a solution for you, this has also happened to me, turned my computer completely off, only to find it running in the morning. The culprit was a piece of software from the MB manufacture (Asus) it was some kind of charging app or something, so it got powered on by the fact that there was a USB device attached.

If you have a software suite or anything that came from your MB manufacture uninstall it and see if this solves your troubles.

MSI Supercharger - some fancy stuff to enable charging of iDevices. I am not using it anyway, and it's disabled. But i will try this as a next step.

By now, i tried clearing cmos -> loading bios defaults -> setting my values again.

We will see.. The worst is, that i cannot simulate this. The problem appears totally randomly.

Bios is holding it's settings perfectly, no settings loosing or whatever, but I will try this as a next step.

Don't know. Brother has some power supply, different mobo in the same house, working just fine, no booting without reason.

Any way to avoid this ? I am really getting tired of this issue. Can't be PSU or MOBO be faulty, so it "decides" to boot ?

I am using Corsair Obsidian 450d case. There are no riser screws in the package, however all places, where motherboard can raise are higher, so the board doesn't touch the plate. Risers are "embedded" in the case.

MSI Supercharger - some fancy stuff to enable charging of iDevices. I am not using it anyway, and it's disabled. But i will try this as a next step.

By now, i tried clearing cmos -> loading bios defaults -> setting my values again.

We will see.. The worst is, that i cannot simulate this. The problem appears totally randomly.

I had to actually uninstall it, I'd give it a try.

I had to actually uninstall it, I'd give it a try.

Sack,

what was the problem / issue in your case. Was your computer turning on from complete power-off state (S5), or was it waking the computer from sleep ?

Go through your BIOS settings and check for what has permission to power on your PC. It could be your LAN card, USB Adapter... Many other things. They all should be in the same "category".

It's haunted. Call an exorcist. 

CPU: Intel i5 2500k @4.2Ghz Cooling: Be Quiet! Silent Loop 120mm MB: MSI Z77A-G45 GPU: Sapphire R9 280X Vapor-X OC RAM: 8Gb G.Skill Ripjaw @ 1600mhz

Storage 1:Samsung 840 120gb SSD Storage 2: Seagate Barracuda 2Tb HDD PSU:Corsair CX 750W  Case: Corsair Carbide 400R.

Sack,

what was the problem / issue in your case. Was your computer turning on from complete power-off state (S5), or was it waking the computer from sleep ?

Same as you, normal shut down, not sleep mode.

it's holding the settings because the system boots to Prevent  the loss of BIOS settings. When you are not at home try unplugging the power and after some time (maybe one day) you should check if any BIOS setting is lost, so you can see if the battery is actully dead.

*edit* Also try removing your mobo from the case and put it on a non conductive material. Then wait and see if it still boots randomly.

-Linus