Computer froze after GPU overclocking

Is it normal for your computer to freeze if you have been adjusting your GPU clock a lot in a certain amount of time? I was trying to find a more stable over clock for my GPU, I had just finally got the sweet spot, went to load the Valley Benchmark. Just as it was loading, it was going into full screen mode, it got stuck at a black screen, no response from the computer at all. 

GPU: +40

Memory: +100

Power Target: 114%

Temp Target: 78 degrees Celsius.

See link for what my final out come was: http://gyazo.com/9358a8ec63b5472918a817b17af19bee

I have since turned off my overclock until Nvidia calls me back. Time of call was 12:37am

I also backed off the memory clock from +100 to +70 to make it stable. But if anyone can suggest explain why adjusting the clocks so much in one session of testing could make the computer freeze that would be great!

Thanks!

Josh_Grid21

AMD Ryzen 7 2700 3.2Ghz Pinnacle Ridge | Asus Prime X570-Pro | Corsair Vengeances RGB PRO 64GB 3200Mhz | EVGA Nvidia Geforce 3060 XC | EVGA G2 SuperNova 750 Watt PSU

@Josh_Grid21 Yeah that's normal, it's just unstable. If you can increase voltage.

Spoiler

Prometheus (Main Rig)

CPU-Z Verification

Laptop: 

Spoiler

Intel Core i3-5005U, 8GB RAM, Crucial MX 100 128GB, Touch-Screen, Intel 7260 WiFi/Bluetooth card.

Phone:

Game Consoles:

Spoiler

Softmodded Fat PS2 w/ 80GB HDD, and a Dreamcast.

If you want my attention quote my post, or tag me. If you don't use PCPartPicker I will ignore your build.

@Josh_Grid21 Yeah that's normal, it's just unstable. If you can increase voltage.

Well, I wonder if I should give my computer like 20 minutes to cool off as it were. Or restart the whole machine.

could just be unstable setting when its like that

Well I remembered the last time I went through a phase like this and I think it had to do with have intense sessions of over clocking. Maybe a restart would be in order to kinda give the machine a rest. I don't have ECC memory on my motherboard either, could that have something to do with it?

AMD Ryzen 7 2700 3.2Ghz Pinnacle Ridge | Asus Prime X570-Pro | Corsair Vengeances RGB PRO 64GB 3200Mhz | EVGA Nvidia Geforce 3060 XC | EVGA G2 SuperNova 750 Watt PSU

I also backed off the memory clock from +100 to +70 to make it stable. But if anyone can suggest explain why adjusting the clocks so much in one session of testing could make the computer freeze that would be great!

Assuming your monitor(s) are connected via the GPU, the GPU is providing the images on your screen and if that crashes/freezes so do the images it provides.

If you push cards to far past their comfort zones you get artifacts - white dots on images and eventually horrific amounts of jumbled images on screen or straight up crashing. If you start to get artifacts on a benchmark, back down your overclock a little until they go away.

Different cards respond differently, some cant handle pushing mem, some core clock, some voltage, some are all round good and some are fantastic.

Take it with a grain of salt, but if your 760 is anything like my 660, you will only get 25-80 extra on core and 50-125 on mem. The best result would be to adjust the fan curve to keep it cooler and running at boost clock for longer - if you can deal with the extra noise.

Intel Core i5 3570K @ 4.5GHz | ASUS P8Z77-V LX2 | 2x4GB kingston hyper-x genesis @1600MHz | Gigabyte windforce GTX 780 3xOC rev.2 | 240GB kingston v300 & 500GB seagate 7200rpm | 

Corsair GS600 |  1440p Dell U2515H & 1080p 60Hz tv/monitor | Asetek based AIO 120mm liquid cpu cooler

Assuming your monitor(s) are connected via the GPU, the GPU is providing the images on your screen and if that crashes/freezes so do the images it provides.

If you push cards to far past their comfort zones you get artifacts - white dots on images and eventually horrific amounts of jumbled images on screen or straight up crashing. If you start to get artifacts on a benchmark, back down your overclock a little until they go away.

Different cards respond differently, some cant handle pushing mem, some core clock, some voltage, some are all round good and some are fantastic.

Take it with a grain of salt, but if your 760 is anything like my 660, you will only get 25-80 extra on core and 50-125 on mem. The best result would be to adjust the fan curve to keep it cooler and running at boost clock for longer - if you can deal with the extra noise.

Does it have anything to do with my refresh rate which is set to 60Hz? I couldn't even get 50 to 125 on the mem. I had to back it off way more, but I pushed the power target almost to full power.

I couldn't even get 50 to 125 on the mem. I had to back it off way more, but I pushed the power target almost to full power.

Try it on stock voltage see how far it can go like that. I think that gtx760's are capped at 1.2v so you shouldn't go past +12mv in afterburner.

You should find a point where core clock reaches its maximum without drivers crashing then the memory, then combine them and make any adjustments.

Its important to understand that while you are overclocking the core clock, the card will run much faster at boost clock provided it is staying cool enough. If you read this article, you can see that even though a card has a specified boost clock, with gpu boost 2.0 they will actually boost much higher provided the temps are comfortable enough for them to do so. This also shows your card is right around where it should be in terms of overclock - the most this one reached on core is 1130MHz.

Refresh rate should not effect anything.

Intel Core i5 3570K @ 4.5GHz | ASUS P8Z77-V LX2 | 2x4GB kingston hyper-x genesis @1600MHz | Gigabyte windforce GTX 780 3xOC rev.2 | 240GB kingston v300 & 500GB seagate 7200rpm | 

Corsair GS600 |  1440p Dell U2515H & 1080p 60Hz tv/monitor | Asetek based AIO 120mm liquid cpu cooler

Is it normal for your computer to freeze...

Yes. Your computer will freeze/artifact/screen go haywire/black screen if you overclock too high. It won't damage anything as long as you haven't modified the BIOS and this is completely normal. Just dial the overclock back until it stops doing that.

Well after further testing, this is my new result. See link for results. http://gyazo.com/e40f6a906437c8bc03d9b52796b13092 I just wish I could have push it further but I can't without it crashing on me. This is where the settings are in Precision X. http://gyazo.com/3a23ca7f83b78211407ed45926fbdd7b Any suggestions on how to make it go higher without crashing?

pump moar power 

Specs: AMD FX 6300 @ 4ghz, Asus R9 270 OC, 8gb Corsair xms3, Cooler Master GX 550w PSU, WD 500 blue, Gigabyte  GA-970A-DS3

pump moar power 

I have the power target set pretty high. 114%.

MOAR POWER 

Specs: AMD FX 6300 @ 4ghz, Asus R9 270 OC, 8gb Corsair xms3, Cooler Master GX 550w PSU, WD 500 blue, Gigabyte  GA-970A-DS3

Could it be that maybe this card can only go so far when overclocking and maybe that's it?

MOAR VOLTAGE (If not already at the limit)

Maximums - Asus Z97-K /w i5 4690 Bclk @106.9Mhz * x39 = 4.17Ghz, 8GB of 2600Mhz DDR3,.. Gigabyte GTX970 G1-Gaming @ 1550Mhz

MOAR VOLTAGE (If not already at the limit)

More** But if I'm air cooling, that will raise it beyond 60 degrees Celsius.

More** But if I'm air cooling, that will raise it beyond 60 degrees Celsius.

60C isn't even hot for a graphics card, let alone a current gen card. Push it until you get into the 90s, it'll be fine.

60C isn't even hot for a graphics card, let alone a current gen card. Push it until you get into the 90s, it'll be fine.

I stick with up to 85*c usually and an aggressive fan curve near that top end, 90's even though still fine and within the rated spec for my 290, heating up the room/pc is my main concern with near 90+

Still can do 1175 on the Core so I'm happy with it being 75-85*c most of the time.

Maximums - Asus Z97-K /w i5 4690 Bclk @106.9Mhz * x39 = 4.17Ghz, 8GB of 2600Mhz DDR3,.. Gigabyte GTX970 G1-Gaming @ 1550Mhz