Remote Desktop - The Ultimate Gaming Streaming Outside of Home

GoodBytes

Got Windows 8 Pro or Windows 10 TP? Want to play games from distance? Forget home streaming, use Windows Remote Desktop!

Yea I am not joking.. well kinda... This post is more for fun knowledge, more than anything. You are not going to play anything competitive here, or even semi-serious. But hey! it works! Windows 8 Pro / and Windows 10 remote desktop support 32-bit colors, and lots of improvements in terms of speed, making it able to stream video or even games from distance!

Check it out:

stream1.png

stream2.png

Now ok, it's not 60fps, and Hitman 5 for some reason doesn't send the audio, but Civ5 does, I tried. But if you are bored one day, and you are in a location with strong internet connection like my university, give it a spin.

I have 30Mbps Download, 10Mbps Upload from home. If you wonder. So nothing crazy there.

Pretty cool if you ask me.

Among all things, I am just impressed how remote desktop was able to pull this off. I recall back in Windows 7 and earlier days, if you started a video in your remote desktop session, you were screwed, also it was only 16-bit colors it supported, so no transparency, and games would just crash at startup with from DirectX or OpenGL error.

Civ5 was far more playable, than hitman 5 to be honest. Then again it doesn't need fast reflexes. Keep in mind that I still run GTX 260, and Hitman 5 is a bit too much for that poor old GPU.

So many things need to fall in place for this to work right.....

So many things need to fall in place for this to work right.....

Of course. But like I said, it is just for fun.

Oh if you are giving it a spin, be sure to set Remote Desktop to max quality in the options.

Of course. But like I said, it is just for fun.

works great on a gigabit home network though :D minus some games support.