Windows 10 and VMWare Workstation

This is just a quick little guide for those trying to run Threshold in VMWare Workstation and having the install fail, just do the following:

*NOTE, I used the 64 bit ISO each time, and I've had 6 successful installs so far, so I know this works for 64-bit.

• Click File
  • Select New Virtual Machine
  • Select Custom (Advanced)
  • Next
  • Select Installer disk image file (iso): then browse for your ISO
  • Select Microsoft Windows as the guest OS, and set the version to Windows 8
  • You can name the VM, and select it's location if you wish, or leave as defaults (Though Windows 8, is not the OS, but would be the VM name)
  • Select 1 processor, 2 cores (or 1 core if you can't spare 2)
  • 1GB RAM min for 32 bit, and 2GB for 64bit (granted mine 4GB)
  • You can select your networking type here, or leave it as the default NAT
  • Set the I/O controller to LSI Logic SAS (Recommended).
  • Create a New Virtual Disk
  • Select a disk type of SCSI
  • Create the disk
    • Maximum size: 16GB for 32-bit , 20GB for 64-bit (will not use all space)
    • Select Allocate all disk space now*
    • Select Store virtual disk as a single file
      • * Pre-allocating the disk max size means you will need that amount of free hard drive space or more
  • Name the disk file if you wish
  • Finish

From there, the install should proceed as normal. It'll look like it crashed, and froze at some points, that's fine, most likely the VM hanging, but often it's just the install process taking forever.

Now, as for how mine was set up, I left everything except gave my VM's 2 cores, 4GB of RAM, renamed the VM to some version of W10TP, and allocated 25GB to my VM.

The reson some of the things you don't want to change are pretty simple... changing them caused a blue screen during the install, or an error prior the initial setup, or worse, during it, consistently. The Split disk seemed to work for me on 5/6 VM's, but also slowed them dramatically, as it normally does, hence I pre-allocated my disk, and set it to a single file.Aside from that, I didn't change much from the defaults, because there was no need too.

As an aside, my VM, with Chrome, FF, and iTunes installed, is only using roughly 14GB of the 25 I allocated it.

"Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic" - Arthur C. Clarke
Just because it may seem like magic, I'm not a wizard, just a nerd. I am fallible. 

Use the quote button or @<username> to reply to people | Mark solved troubleshooting topics as such, selecting the correct answer, and follow them to get replies!

Community Standards | Guides & Tutorials Troubleshooting Section