970 or 780?

evilmeister13

I'm running 1080p now, and plan to move to 1440p at a later date. I'm currently running an fx 6300 and 8GB of ram. Will I run into any bottlenecks?

CPU: i7 - 2600kGPU: GTX 1070Mobo: intel somethingRAM: Corsair XMS3 @1600Mhz (8GB)SSD: Crucial MX100 256GB. HDD: WD Green 1TB . Case: Cooler Master HAF XB EVO Monitors: LG 25UM65-P and Benq 2200HD Keyboard: Corsair vengeance K70 FPS Red switch. Mouse: Logitech G502 Proteus Core. Headset: Steelseries Siberia V2

It will bottleneck either card... but it will still be extremely fast

Core i7 4820K  |  NH-D14 | Rampage IV Extreme | Asus R9 280X DC2T | 8GB G.Skill TridentX | 120GB Samsung 840 | NZXT H440  |  Be quiet! Dark Power Pro 10 650W

NO IT WONT BOTTLENECK, anyways i am in the same condition as you, everywhere i search the 970 is sold out, amazon, newegg, everything, if you find a 970 get it, but if you cant the 780 will perform almost as good, it wont OC like the 970 but performance is comparable.

Are you new to the forums???? read the Code of Conduct HERE WANT SOME AWESOME LTT THEMED WALLPAPERS??? check out XTanksSlayerX's wallpaper thread HERE 

"May our framerates be high, and our temperatures low" - PC MasterRace

It will bottleneck either card... but it will still be extremely fast

thats wrong.

The cpu won't be close to bottlenecking.

CPU: i7 3770k@ 4.6Ghz@ 1.23v - GPU: Palit GTX 660ti - MOBO: Asrock Extreme 4 - RAM: Corsair vengeance 8GB 1600Mhz - PSU: OCZ 650watt - STORAGE: 128Gb corsair force GT SSD/ 1TB seagate barracuda 7200rpm

COOLING: NH-U14s/ 3x Noiseblocker blacksilent pros/ Silverstone Air Penetrator/ 2 corsair AF120s

NO IT WONT BOTTLENECK, anyways i am in the same condition as you, everywhere i search the 970 is sold out, amazon, newegg, everything, if you find a 970 get it, but if you cant the 780 will perform almost as good, it wont OC like the 970 but performance is comparable.

What card do you have now? I would just place an order and wait. That's what i did. :D

@OP, get the 970 since you're stepping up in resolution. The extra VRAm is never bad and new is new. Howevewr you could find cheap 780s right now. Especially 2nd handed ones.

who cares...

Bottleneck is used to loosely these days. You won't have any trouble with either card. An A10-7850K APU won't even bottleneck a 780ti thats been overclocked. The software we have now keeps games from relying heavily on the CPU power and instead focuses more on the GPU, preventing the CPU from maxing out before the GPU. Also a 970 is considered the best buy unless you money is not an issue. Good luck!

Edit: As far as the 970 goes, your best bet IMO would be either the G1 gigabyte, or the EVGA SC (blower style card). Both overclock well and have not had any issues with heat. Once again. Good Luck!

AMD diehard & Nvidia Enthusiest

With the FX-6300 + 970 you'll get lower fps in games than with say a 4790K + 970 - hence ''Bottleneck''

Core i7 4820K  |  NH-D14 | Rampage IV Extreme | Asus R9 280X DC2T | 8GB G.Skill TridentX | 120GB Samsung 840 | NZXT H440  |  Be quiet! Dark Power Pro 10 650W

Get the 970.

But depending on the games you play, you will experience a bottleneck.  Anyone who says otherwise is ignorant to the facts.

"I genuinely dislike the promulgation of false information, especially to people who are asking for help selecting new parts."

Get the 970.

But depending on the games you play, you will experience a bottleneck.  Anyone who says otherwise is ignorant to the facts.

mah man!

With the FX-6300 + 970 you'll get lower fps in games than with say a 4790K + 970 - hence ''Bottleneck''

with a 4790k + 970 you will get lower fps than say a i7 5960x + 970  hence bottleneck

with a 4790k + 970 you will get lower fps than say a i7 5960x + 970  hence bottleneck

yes probably... so whats your point? That was the question wasnt it?

yes probably... so whats your point? That was the question wasnt it?

so he should go get a i7 5960x to avoid bottlenecks right

Actually you wont.  Games don't utilize more than 4 cores, so going from an i5 to i7, to i7-5960 will show zero fps improvements once they are all running at the same Ghz.

If you want to avoid bottlenecks, get an i5.  Plain and simple, i5 is the best processor for all-around gaming.

"I genuinely dislike the promulgation of false information, especially to people who are asking for help selecting new parts."

so he should go get a i7 5960x to avoid bottlenecks right

Dude you're being complicated. I said it was gonna be extremely fast with the fx-6300 but it will TECHNICALLY bottleneck. Why are you arguing about details?

Dude you're being complicated. I said it was gonna be extremely fast with the fx-6300 but it will TECHNICALLY bottleneck. Why are you arguing about details?

you sound exactly like my friend who says the gpu bottlenecks the pcie lane

That technically is not a "bottleneck". Different processors will run differently with different gpus. But if a i7, i5, or FX-6300 were all running on the exact same speed and settings they would run the same with an identical gpu. Modern programs will not rely heavily on the cpu. It's not technically a "bottleneck" if each cpu is running the same with the same gpu. I've seen it many times.

That technically is not a "bottleneck". Different processors will run differently with different gpus. But if a i7, i5, or FX-6300 were all running on the exact same speed and settings they would run the same with an identical gpu. Modern programs will not rely heavily on the cpu. It's not technically a "bottleneck" if each cpu is running the same with the same gpu. I've seen it many times.

Thats not true. 

The Intel processors, specifically their cores are so much more powerful and the vast majority of games only run on 2-4 cores, and FX processors have many weak cores that cannot keep up.  Games like LoL, Skyrim, Assassin's Creed, DayZ, ARMA2/3, Starcraft, Civilization, Indies, MMOs, etc.. are all going to run better on an Intel processor.

Benchmarks:

http://www.hardcoreware.net/intel-core-i3-4340-review/2/

http://www.hardwarepal.com/best-cpu-gaming-9-processors-8-games-tested/4/

Thats not true. 

The Intel processors, specifically their cores are so much more powerful and the vast majority of games only run on 2-4 cores, and FX processors have many weak cores that cannot keep up.  Games like LoL, Skyrim, Assassin's Creed, DayZ, ARMA2/3, Starcraft, Civilization, Indies, MMOs, etc.. are all going to run better on an Intel processor.

Benchmarks:

http://www.hardcoreware.net/intel-core-i3-4340-review/2/

http://www.hardwarepal.com/best-cpu-gaming-9-processors-8-games-tested/4/

Modern software prevents games from running heavy on the cpu. Modern games will run heavy on the GPU instead preventing any sort of bottleneck. Yes Intel does have stronger cores per se but it doesn't make much of a differnce gaming. If you were to do video editing or rendering then yes it would cause a so called "bottleneck" but gaming it won't make much of a difference. My FX-8320 paired with a GTX 760 ran exactly the same against an i5 with the same gpu while playing LoL. I tested the theory at my college last year. Bottlenecks don't exist in gaming much anymore.

Modern software prevents games from running heavy on the cpu. Modern games will run heavy on the GPU instead preventing any sort of bottleneck. Yes Intel does have stronger cores per se but it doesn't make much of a differnce gaming. If you were to do video editing or rendering then yes it would cause a so called "bottleneck" but gaming it won't make much of a difference. My FX-8320 paired with a GTX 760 ran exactly the same against an i5 with the same gpu while playing LoL. I tested the theory at my college last year. Bottlenecks don't exist in gaming much anymore.

You have it so backwards.  You're wrong.  I'm not going to get into it because it will turn into a flame war, but you're very wrong.  Do some independent research. The FX is going to do much better than an Intel i5 in video editing and rendering, while games will perform much better on Intel because they are designed for 2-4 cores.  Play any MMO, FX vs. Intel, even a pentium, the Pentium will win.  Also, a 760 is a mid-range GPU.  There wont be a bottleneck.  If you get a 780/290/970/980 paired with an FX, it would bottleneck in modern games, and especially in games that rely on 2-4 cores, which is every single game except Watch Dogs and Crysis3.  Crysis3 you will always be GPU bound anyways, so it doesn't matter. 

I dislike the prospect of constantly turning settings down with my 780ti Classy when I move to 1440p in a couple weeks (whenever the hell I can find a ROG Swift) that I'm moving to SLI 980s. Yeah, get the 970 and OC the hell out of it.

And I've actually seen tests and benchmarks that show that an i7 can actually hinder your performance in some games--albeit very slightly--because they don't accurately dictate what goes/doesn't go to the hyperthreaded cycles, which are slower. Aside from that odd situation, though, you just won't benefit from it. 3570k or 4570k OCd on up into the 4s is the sweet spot for gaming.