Side Panel Reservoir

Tagiau

Title basically says it all. During Game24 a few of us in the mod24 chat were discussing how to turn the side panel of a case into a reservoir to have a waterfall style(we acknowledge the trickling noise that this would cause). My question is, what would be the proper thickness of acrylic to use, and what would the proper case be, or would the case have to be fabricated just for the project?

Title basically says it all. During Game24 a few of us in the mod24 chat were discussing how to turn the side panel of a case into a reservoir to have a waterfall style(we acknowledge the trickling noise that this would cause). My question is, what would be the proper thickness of acrylic to use, and what would the proper case be, or would the case have to be fabricated just for the project?

You could probably use an air 540 for this since it has a nice big window and a lot of room. As for thickness, I don't know, but it would be so awesome to see pulled off. Especially with a UV coolant that you can see through, instead of those ugly ass pastel opaque coolants.

The biggest problem I see, is what happens when you need to remove that panel for something, and don't want to drain the system?

Ketchup is better than mustard.

GUI is better than Command Line Interface.

Dubs are better than subs

Oooh! this is interesting^^

The acryllic doesn't need to be that thick (Glass is also an option) As long as it's sealed properly along the joints

Any slab sided case would probably work. 

====>The car thread<====>Dark Souls thread<====>Placeholder<====
"Life is like a raging river, Its gonna get rough downstream. And people's gonna piss in it" 

"Who discovered we could get milk from cows, and what did he THINK he was doing at the time?"

You could probably use an air 540 for this since it has a nice big window and a lot of room. As for thickness, I don't know, but it would be so awesome to see pulled off. Especially with a UV coolant that you can see through, instead of those ugly ass pastel opaque coolants.

The biggest problem I see, is what happens when you need to remove that panel for something, and don't want to drain the system?

Quick releases might work to solve that problem somewhat. Or just hoses that are long enough so you can open the side panel

"Life is like a raging river, Its gonna get rough downstream. And people's gonna piss in it" 

"Who discovered we could get milk from cows, and what did he THINK he was doing at the time?"

Essentially it's based off what you want. my idea on how to do this would be to sandwich three layers of acrylic one being the outside, next being the 'doughnut' cutout/punchout, and the last being the same outside pane but inside. Then put connectors on the top face and one on the bottom. If I had my Autocad on my hackintosh I'd draw a demo up. 

Would need a case with two side panel to acces the inside of the case, So this way, you can still open the case and add/remove any hardware. without draining the system of having trouble.

"Strength does not come from winning. Your struggles develop your strengths. When you go through hardships and decide not to surrender, that is strength" Arnold

Quick releases might work to solve that problem somewhat. Or just hoses that are long enough so you can open the side panel

I don't understand the quick releases...doesn't the water just go everywhere or does it close off on the end or something? Could also hinge the door

I don't understand the quick releases...doesn't the water just go everywhere or does it close off on the end or something?

If they are anything like the ones for the hydraulic hoses on heavy machinery then they are only open if they are in the socket. And clamp shut when released. I'll see if i can find a pic

I'd also recommend a Quick Disconnect

pulltypedetail-228x228.png

EDIT:

Ok this is a bad one as it appears it would just drain. I'll look again. We need one with a ball and pistol.

If they are anything like the ones for the hydraulic hoses on heavy machinery then they are only open if they are in the socket. And clamp shut when released. I'll see if i can find a pic

ooooohh.... that makes more sense now. Kind of like a pressure ball valve on an air hose for an air compressor

or you could make the acrylic not being stuck to the side panel, and instead the side panel goes onto the "water fall" making it look like its the side window but allowing you to take the sidepanel off and get access to the tubes so that you can disconnect the whole thing

Proud Member of the Glorious PC Master Race

ooooohh.... that makes more sense now. Kind of like a pressure ball valve on an air hose for an air compressor

Almost exactly like that^^

QRCISOALARGE_zps140e51e7.jpg

(The water ones might look different) 

quick-release-coupling-250x250_zpsa90d3c

Almost exactly like that^^

(The water ones might look different) 

-snip

So being plugged in, opens a "valve" inside the fitting allowing flow, removing it blocks the flow. Awesome.

I don't trust plastic couplings.. They always break for me :/

I don't trust plastic couplings.. They always break for me :/

There's metal ones on the link as well. I just felt the plastic one was more colorful :P