NVIDIA GTX 970 MSI OR GIGABYTE

hmk123

Hello Community,

i want to buy a GTX 970 for my new gaming PC. I have to decide between the following two brands:

1. MSI GeForce GTX 970 Gaming 4G

2.Gigabyte GeForce GTX 970 Gaming G1

Which one do you think is best? Here is a quick comparison:

MSI GTX 970 Gaming

- Base core clock of 1051mhz w/boost 1178mhz (silent mode) / 1114mhz w/boost 1253mhz (gaming mode) / 1140mhz w/boost 1279mhz (OC mode); these selections apply to MSI's gaming app, otherwise the default core clock is 1114mhz w/boost 1253mhz

- Memory clock of 1753mhz (7010mhz effective); Samsung IC's

- 2 x DVI port, 1 x HDMI 2.0, 1 x DP v1.2

- Dual fan HSF design featuring idle fan shutoff (when under 40c); the overall height of the cooling solution is slightly less than two slots to provide better cooling for sli configurations.

- Overall length of ~27cm (269mm)

Pros:

- Quiet air cooling solution

- Smallest/thinnest card (of the three compared); better for small cases and will perform better in sli configurations temperature wise

- Features a metal plate/heatsink covering the memory IC's and some circuitry on the front side of the PCB; more effective cooling in comparison to the STRIX card

Cons:

- No backplate

- *Poor vrm cooling solution; small secondary heatsink that receives little airflow due to the placement of the 2 fan HSF design

Gigabyte GTX 970 Gaming G1

- Base core clock 1178mhz w/boost 1329mhz
- Memory clock of 1750mhz (7000mhz effective); Samsung IC's

- 2 x DVI port, 1 x HDMI 2.0, 3 x DP v1.2

- Triple fan HSF solution

- Overall length of ~31cm (312mm)

- GPU Backplate

Pros:

- Highest factory core clock/boost

- Most effective cooling solution (especially when it comes to VRM section of the board)

- Best air cooled solution

- *Highest stock TDP/Power Limit (for overclocking purposes)

- Backplate

- Most display connectivity 3xDP 1xHDMI 2xDVI

Cons:

- Loudest cooling solution of the three cards

- Largest and tallest card; not ideal for small cases or Sli conifgurations

With which one would you go?

Greetings

I'd do gigabyte if you aren't going SLI. You can adjust the fan curve to your liking in terms of acoustics.

"If you do not take your failures seriously you will continue to fail"

definitely gigabyte... single DP port... what year is it? (assuming specs above are correct)

gigabyte seems to OC better, have a better cooler too... can adjust the fan speed curve quite easily nowadays so no issue that. obviously that's if you dont have a tiny case and can fit it.

i hate msi, but even if i didn't gigabyte is a no brainer here.

I'M the biggest fan of MSI but this time around the gigabyte G1 gaming card is just out of the park, she comes with a backplatr and the build quality of the card surpass all the others and all the reviewers agree she's the card to get for bloody high overclocks, defenetly go with the gigabyte windforce this time around.

The msi card looks better IMHO and the cooler is also very good but she's missing the backplate and i've read everywhere that gigabyte have their hands on highly binned chip and their cards overclocks a lot more.

| CPU: Core i7-8700K @ 4.89ghz - 1.21v  Motherboard: Asus ROG STRIX Z370-E GAMING  CPU Cooler: Corsair H100i V2 |
| GPU: MSI RTX 3080Ti Ventus 3X OC  RAM: 32GB T-Force Delta RGB 3066mhz |
| Displays: Acer Predator XB270HU 1440p Gsync 144hz IPS Gaming monitor | Oculus Quest 2 VR

OMG that black font color, I can't read shit.

Cons:

- Loudest cooling solution of the three cards

Where did you get this information? Everywhere I look for, I cannot find a quieter card than the Gigabyte version. Please tell me which review told you that the MSI is quieter, google isn't helping me out...

If you can fit such a long card inside your case, I don't think you should be thinking about buying anything other than the G1 970.

CPU: Intel Core i7-4790k | CPU Cooler: Noctua NH-D15 | Motherboard: ASUS Sabertooth Z97 MARK 1 | Memory: Kingston HyperX FURY 16GB 1866MHz | GPU: Gigabyte GeForce GTX 770 4GB Windforce

Storage: Samsung 840 EVO | PSU: CM Silent Pro 720W | Case: Phanteks Enthoo Luxe | Headset: Corsair Vengeance 2100 | Keyboard: Logitech G710+ | Mouse: Razer DeathAdder Chroma

"You see, one can only be angry with those he respects." - R. Nixon

This right here - is all you need to know - 

Gigabyte - no question

The ASUS STRIX card allows for ~163w with the 100% power limit and ~196w with the power limit set to 120%. The MSI Gaming card allows for 200w with the 100% power limit and 220w with the power limit set to 110%. The Gigabyte G1 card allows for 250w with the 100% power limit and 280w with the power limit set to 112%.

5820K - ASUS X99-A - 16GB Corsair LPX - HD 7970 GHz - Qnix 1440p @ 96Hz - Waiting for Polaris/Pascal

i have now MSI GeForce GTX 970 GAMING 4G  it's super quiet

Wach dog and Crysis 3 juts played 

Crysis 3 max setting only 61C fans at 65%