L3 cache

Speedbird
Go to solution Solved by Opcode,

If you can unlock any of the Phenom II's cores, it's defiantly the better buy. Even if you don't unlock any, a slight overclock will be beneficial as well. What board do you plan on dropping this into?

Hi

I'm not sure whether to get the Athlon II X4 640 or Phenom II X2 555, the only difference (aside from the number of cores) seems to be the L3 cache. Would I really get any kind of benefit from it? I will only use it for gaming.

LTT's unofficial Windows activation expert.

I bet there is but how big is the price difference.

cpu: intel i5 4670k @ 4.5ghz Ram: G skill ares 2x4gb 2166mhz cl10 Gpu: GTX 680 liquid cooled cpu cooler: Raijintek ereboss Mobo: gigabyte z87x ud5h psu: cm gx650 bronze Case: Zalman Z9 plus

Listen if you care.

Cpu: intel i7 4770k @ 4.2ghz Ram: G skill  ripjaws 2x4gb Gpu: nvidia gtx 970 cpu cooler: akasa venom voodoo Mobo: G1.Sniper Z6 Psu: XFX proseries 650w Case: Zalman H1

I bet but how big is the price difference.

The Phenom has 6MB, the Athlon has none.

well the more immediate difference is the factory number of cores, but l3 comes into play when gaming hence why fx4300 generally beats the 760k in games

one is a deneb die one is propus, propus is deneb with lasered off l3 ;)

deneb:

AMD-Talks-45nm-Deneb-Processor-2.jpg

propus:

athloniix4die.png

Higher TDP with the Athlon.

QUOTE ME OR I PROBABLY WON'T SEE YOUR RESPONSE 

My Setup:

Desktop

Spoiler

CPU: Ryzen 9 3900X  CPU Cooler: Noctua NH-D15  Motherboard: Asus Prime X370-PRO  RAM: 32GB Corsair Vengeance LPX DDR4 @3200MHz  GPU: EVGA RTX 2080 FTW3 ULTRA (+50 core +400 memory)  Storage: 1050GB Crucial MX300, 1TB Crucial MX500  PSU: EVGA Supernova 750 P2  Chassis: NZXT Noctis 450 White/Blue OS: Windows 10 Professional  Displays: Asus MG279Q FreeSync OC, LG 27GL850-B

Main Laptop:

Spoiler

Laptop: Sager NP 8678-S  CPU: Intel Core i7 6820HK @ 2.7GHz  RAM: 32GB DDR4 @ 2133MHz  GPU: GTX 980m 8GB  Storage: 250GB Samsung 850 EVO M.2 + 1TB Samsung 850 Pro + 1TB 7200RPM HGST HDD  OS: Windows 10 Pro  Chassis: Clevo P670RG  Audio: HyperX Cloud II Gunmetal, Audio Technica ATH-M50s, JBL Creature II

Thinkpad T420:

Spoiler

CPU: i5 2520M  RAM: 8GB DDR3  Storage: 275GB Crucial MX30

If you can unlock any of the Phenom II's cores, it's defiantly the better buy. Even if you don't unlock any, a slight overclock will be beneficial as well. What board do you plan on dropping this into?

Gigabyte 78LMT-S2. I will buy the Phenom then.

Wow, reminds me of old good times when you can unlock locked cores on those Phenom II CPUs, love it.

Spoiler

Wow, reminds me of old good times when you can unlock locked cores on those Phenom II CPUs, love it.

Those times are not over, I still live in the age of K10.

just save up money for an AMD Athlon x4 760K, iit costs 75€ ....

Dude. I'm on AM3.

Gigabyte 78LMT-S2. I will buy the Phenom then.

Reports show that board can unlock cores, tho personally I wouldn't overclock on it due to its weak 3+1 phase VRM. Really you're playing the lottery, if you can unlock all four cores then you hit the jackpot. Hopefully you can at least unlock one core for a Phenom II x3.

Reports show that board can unlock cores, tho personally I wouldn't overclock on it due to its weak 3+1 phase VRM. Really you're playing the lottery, if you can unlock all four cores then you hit the jackpot. Hopefully you can at least unlock one core for a Phenom II x3.

Okay, will give it a try, thanks.

fx 8320

oh wait thats am3+

sorry

It's okay. AMD sockets can be confusing.

try to get an athlon II X4 645

he's just established the phenom is the better buy :P

but @Speedbird phenom is a good choice, a lot of ebay sellers will tell you if the cores unlocked or not (and usually charge a bit of a premium... better than lottery though).

he's just established the phenom is the better buy :P

but @Speedbird phenom is a good choice, a lot of ebay sellers will tell you if the cores unlocked or not (and usually charge a bit of a premium... better than lottery though).

dont know much about that doe :)