Reference vs Non Reference water cooling

PocketzDK

Hi Guys

Ive been considering upgrading my GFX card To a 980.
And I was wondering, aside from any performance boost from the vendors side.

Are there any benifits to watercooling Reference vs. Non Reference cards.

Are non reference easier to cool or vice versa?

For water cooling just get the cheapest reference PCB card

Thats that. If you need to get in touch chances are you can find someone that knows me that can get in touch.

Reference cards tend to have more waterblocks available.

Main rig on profile

VAULT - File Server

Spoiler

Intel Core i5 11400 w/ Shadow Rock LP, 2x16GB SP GAMING 3200MHz CL16, ASUS PRIME Z590-A, 2x LSI 9211-8i, Fractal Define 7, 256GB Team MP33, 3x 6TB WD Red Pro (9TB partition for general storage + 2TB partition for dumping ground), 4x 8TB WD White Label/Red (Plex) (all 3 arrays in their respective Windows Parity storage spaces), Corsair RM750x, Windows 11 Education

Sleeper HP Pavilion A6137C

Spoiler

Intel Core i7 6700K @ 4.4GHz, 4x8GB G.SKILL Ares 1800MHz CL10, ASUS Z170M-E D3, 128GB Team MP33, 1TB Seagate Barracuda, 320GB Samsung Spinpoint (for video capture), MSI GTX 970 100ME, EVGA 650G1, Windows 10 Pro

OptiPlex 7040M

Spoiler

Intel Core i7 6700, 2x16GB Mushkin Redline (stuck at 2133MHz CL13), 240GB Corsair MP510, 130w Dell power brick, Windows 10 Pro

Mac Mini (Late 2020)

Spoiler

Apple M1, 8GB RAM, 256GB, macOS Sonoma

Consoles: Softmodded 1.4 Xbox w/ 500GB HDD, Xbox 360 Elite 120GB Falcon, XB1X w/2TB MX500, Xbox Series X, PS1 1001, PS2 Slim 70000 w/ FreeMcBoot, PS4 Pro 7015B 1TB (retired), PS5 Digital, Nintendo Switch OLED, Nintendo Wii RVL-001 (black)

Non-reference cards rarely have water blocks available.

INTEL CORE I5 4670K | NVIDIA GTX 980 | NOCTUA NH-L9i | GIGABYTE GA-Z97X-SLI | KINGSTON 120GB V300

CM STORM QUICKFIRE TK | BENQ XL2420TE | ROCCAT SAVU | FRACTAL DEFINE R4

I dont have an issue with waiting for the non reference designs.

I was just wondering if there would be any noticable difference between the two.

no generally speaking there isn't a difference! some reference boards are shorter in length than non reference baords just due to the kind of cooling the company uses on the card eg. blower vs fans. And then of course the availability of waterblocks for cards like mentioned above

Some reference boards may have better gpu binning processes and vrm, aka rog matrix, otherwise just go stock.

Some of the nonreference cards may be higher binned chips, and may be able to be overclocked more. 

Non-reference cards rarely have water blocks available.

EK makes blocks for a lot of different non reference cards.

I did a look at 780 blocks (since they have been around for long enough for a block development cycle) on Frozencpu and found blocks for Asus DCUII, Asus Matrix, Gigabyte, EVGA, HIS, Gainward and Palit. I admit that there is a much greater selection of blocks for reference designs, but there is not exactly a shortage of blocks for the custom PCB's either.

CPU: i9-13900k MOBO: Asus Strix Z790-E RAM: 64GB GSkill  CPU Cooler: Corsair H170i

GPU: Asus Strix RTX-4090 Case: Fractal Torrent PSU: Corsair HX-1000i Storage: 2TB Samsung 990 Pro

@Real_PhillBert unfortuneately, only EK makes those non reference waterblocks. You don't really see many of the other brands (XSPC Aquacomputer etc..) making a large variety of non reference waterblocks. 

Oftentimes, if you go non reference, EK is the only brand you can go to. 

Which is better than nothing, because a waterblock does exist for you card

@Real_PhillBert unfortuneately, only EK makes those non reference waterblocks. You don't really see many of the other brands (XSPC Aquacomputer etc..) making a large variety of non reference waterblocks. 

Oftentimes, if you go non reference, EK is the only brand you can go to. 

Which is better than nothing, because a waterblock does exist for you card

This is true, but I will stand by my statement. If you have a non reference GPU, odds are there is a water block out there for it.

It may not be your favorite manufacturer, but it is unlikely that there is no block support for a given GPU.

CPU: i9-13900k MOBO: Asus Strix Z790-E RAM: 64GB GSkill  CPU Cooler: Corsair H170i

GPU: Asus Strix RTX-4090 Case: Fractal Torrent PSU: Corsair HX-1000i Storage: 2TB Samsung 990 Pro