Which GTX 970 is the best?

MikeytheSpartan1

Hey guys I think I'm gonna upgrade to a gtx 970 but not sure which one is the best?? I'm also looking into maybe a 780 but which do you think is better and if you think it's the the 970 which one? This upgrade is almost all about water cooling capabilities so anything related to that would be a lot of help.

Thanks!!

i would wait and see how the acx 2.0 performs before you get a gtx 970

Spoiler

My system is the Dell Inspiron 15 5559 Microsoft Signature Edition

The Austrailian king of LTT said that I'm awesome and a funny guy. the greatest psu list known to man DDR3 ram guide

i got 477 posts in my first 30 days on LinusTechTips.com

ASUS Strix GTX 970, Linus made a review of it. :)

CPU: Intel Core i7 860 @ 3.5ghz / CPU Cooler: Corsair H60i / Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-P55M-UD2 /

RAM: 16gb 4x4gb Corsair Vengeance LP / GPU: EVGA GTX 780Ti / PSU: Corsair AX850 / OS: Windows 8.1 /

Storage: Boot Drive 128gb Crucial M4 SSD, 1.5TB WD Green / Case: Ultra Defender II White /

Monitors: 2x 23" Acer G235H's / Peripherals: 2013 Razer Blackwidow Ultimate Keyboard, 2013 Razer Deathadder Mouse /

Laptop: 17'' HP ENVY Touchsmart M7-J020DX ( i7 4700MQ, 1TB, 8GB Ram )

ASUS Strix GTX 970, Linus made a review of it. :)

Why?
You can't be serious.  Hyperthreading is a market joke?

What do you mean by water cool capabilities? If you going to water cool, get a reference card...

Otherwise they they almost all the same - pick the one with the cooler you like...

Forum Links - Community Standards, Privacy Policy, FAQ, Features Suggestions, Bug and Issues.

Folding/Boinc Info - Check out the Folding and Boinc Section, read the Folding Install thread and the Folding FAQ. Info on Boinc is here. Don't forget to join team 223518. Check out other users Folding Rigs for ideas. Don't forget to follow the @LTTCompute for updates and other random posts about the various teams.

Follow me on Twitter for updates @Whaler_99

Why?

Hi Razzaa, The fact that the fans don't run if you're just browsing and such caught my attention. I also love this cooler. :)

CPU: Intel Core i7 860 @ 3.5ghz / CPU Cooler: Corsair H60i / Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-P55M-UD2 /

RAM: 16gb 4x4gb Corsair Vengeance LP / GPU: EVGA GTX 780Ti / PSU: Corsair AX850 / OS: Windows 8.1 /

Storage: Boot Drive 128gb Crucial M4 SSD, 1.5TB WD Green / Case: Ultra Defender II White /

Monitors: 2x 23" Acer G235H's / Peripherals: 2013 Razer Blackwidow Ultimate Keyboard, 2013 Razer Deathadder Mouse /

Laptop: 17'' HP ENVY Touchsmart M7-J020DX ( i7 4700MQ, 1TB, 8GB Ram )

What do you mean by water cool capabilities? If you going to water cool, get a reference card...

Otherwise they they almost all the same - pick the one with the cooler you like...

I'm going to get a water block along with it to add to my existing loop and sorry but I'm a noob when it comes to GPU cooling and such lol so what do you mean by reference card?

I'm going to get a water block along with it to add to my existing loop and sorry but I'm a noob when it comes to GPU cooling and such lol so what do you mean by reference card?

Any card with the NVidia reference cooler, much like the 780 ones - getting a "custom" 970 can sometimes mean the PCB has been altered. Typically water blocks will only fit reference cards.

Forum Links - Community Standards, Privacy Policy, FAQ, Features Suggestions, Bug and Issues.

Folding/Boinc Info - Check out the Folding and Boinc Section, read the Folding Install thread and the Folding FAQ. Info on Boinc is here. Don't forget to join team 223518. Check out other users Folding Rigs for ideas. Don't forget to follow the @LTTCompute for updates and other random posts about the various teams.

Any card with the NVidia reference cooler, much like the 780 ones - getting a "custom" 970 can sometimes mean the PCB has been altered. Typically water blocks will only fit reference cards.

So you would recommend the nvidia gtx 970?

From the reviews the Gigabyte G1 is the top dog ATM.

EDIT: I just read that you want to water cool the card...no point doing that with the G1 it's already a damn cool and quiet card...but if you really for some reasons are going to watercool then go with a reference design card.

Edited by i_build_nanosuits

| CPU: Core i7-8700K @ 4.89ghz - 1.21v  Motherboard: Asus ROG STRIX Z370-E GAMING  CPU Cooler: Corsair H100i V2 |
| GPU: MSI RTX 3080Ti Ventus 3X OC  RAM: 32GB T-Force Delta RGB 3066mhz |
| Displays: Acer Predator XB270HU 1440p Gsync 144hz IPS Gaming monitor | Oculus Quest 2 VR

Hi Razzaa, The fact that the fans don't run if you're just browsing and such caught my attention. I also love this cooler. :)

i personaly think it's one of the ugliest cards ever produced, it looks cheap.

| CPU: Core i7-8700K @ 4.89ghz - 1.21v  Motherboard: Asus ROG STRIX Z370-E GAMING  CPU Cooler: Corsair H100i V2 |
| Displays: Acer Predator XB270HU 1440p Gsync 144hz IPS Gaming monitor | Oculus Quest 2 VR

From the reviews the Gigabyte G1 is the top dog ATM.

EDIT: I just read that you want to water cool the card...no point doing that with the G1 it's already a damn cool and quiet card...but if you really for some reasons are going to watercool then go with a reference design card.

Which design would you recommend? If you have a link that'd be AWESOME thx :)

So you would recommend the nvidia gtx 970?

I am not "recommending" any card - just if you are getting a new card, and are going to water cool it, don't bother spending extra on a card with an after market cooler, waste of money and the water block might not fit...

Which design would you recommend? If you have a link that'd be AWESOME thx :)

If you go to water cool the card? this one:

http://pcpartpicker.com/part/evga-video-card-04gp41970kr

The cheap plastic box with the plastic blower as to go off otherwise do not pick this card

If you wan't something just plain awesome that run's on air, this one:

http://pcpartpicker.com/part/gigabyte-video-card-gvn970g1gaming4gd

If you go to water cool the card? this one:

http://pcpartpicker.com/part/evga-video-card-04gp41970kr

The cheap plastic box with the plastic blower as to go off otherwise do not pick this card

If you wan't something just plain awesome that run's on air, this one:

Thanks so much for the links. Is there a big performance difference between the two? And I've heard that 670 water blocks fit on the 970s is that true and would it fit on the EVGA one? Thanks :D

According to cooling cooling configurator, this will work with the EVGA reference model:

EK-FC670 GTX - Acetal [3831109856499]

Is this a good choice and is it safe when it says it is just visually matched? Sorry for these constant nooby questions I'm just new to all this gpu stuff xD

Thanks

According to cooling cooling configurator, this will work with the EVGA reference model:

EK-FC670 GTX - Acetal [3831109856499]

Is this a good choice and is it safe when it says it is just visually matched? Sorry for these constant nooby questions I'm just new to all this gpu stuff xD

Thanks

can not answer this really you should contact EVGA to make sure with them...i can't see how and why a GTX 670 cooler would fit on a GTX 970 PCB.

i would wait and see how the acx 2.0 performs before you get a gtx 970

Anandtech already reviewed the 970 ACX 2.0

QUOTE ME IN A REPLY SO I CAN SEE THE NOTIFICATION!

When there is no danger of failure there is no pleasure in success.

Either a 780 ,classified or a 970sc acx by evga

Yo soy el hombre murciélago

I am not "recommending" any card - just if you are getting a new card, and are going to water cool it, don't bother spending extra on a card with an after market cooler, waste of money and the water block might not fit...

There are no "reference 970" cards. Some use the reference GTX 670 PCB while others have a totally custom version.

can not answer this really you should contact EVGA to make sure with them...i can't see how and why a GTX 670 cooler would fit on a GTX 970 PCB.

Ok I contacted them and they say it isn't possible so I guess that means I have to just wait till one comes out?

Ok I contacted them and they say it isn't possible so I guess that means I have to just wait till one comes out?

These cards run really cool they are very efficient and will overclock immensely even on air so i'd suggest you get a gigabyte G1 GAMING GTX 970 windforce...here:

Check reviews it's a beast overclocker...no need to watercool such a GPU IMHO.

There is no such thing as a reference 970. A few models (EVGA blower cooler, Galax, Zotac) stuck the new chip on old surplus circuit boards used for the GTX 670 back in the day. Apparently it performs just fine, and those are the models that the 670 water blocks fit.

However, given that there is no actual reference PCB layout, each manufacturer is going to lay out their card somewhat differently, which means that it's very unlikely we'll see water blocks for any 970 models in the near future unless one of them starts selling much better than the rest.

You're and your are not the same. Neither are their, there, and they're. Defiantly and Definitely are definitely not the same. Definately and Rediculous are not words, and you should feel bad for misspelling them. If English is your first language, you don't have a learning disorder, and you get any of these wrong, you are making the entire forum slightly dumber by doing so. Please take the extra three seconds to type properly, and have a nice day.

Anandtech already reviewed the 970 ACX 2.0

can you give me a link to it then

Spoiler

My system is the Dell Inspiron 15 5559 Microsoft Signature Edition

The Austrailian king of LTT said that I'm awesome and a funny guy. the greatest psu list known to man DDR3 ram guide

i got 477 posts in my first 30 days on LinusTechTips.com