Ethernet in my room

pancoon

Hey everyone!

Here is my predicament. I have my PC on a desk in my hallway. The reason why is because I only have ethernet access there. We'll this is inconvenient because I would much rather have my PC on my room with more lighting but I don't have an ethernet port in my room. I don't have a WiFi card but I wouldn't mind getting one in my PC. But my current wireless router only emits around 5 MB/S compared to my 30 with a wired connection. What are my options here?

a long ether net cable or a new router

I don't want a cable underneath my door.

What would that be?

You take two powerline adapters that go in your outlets. You put one next to your router and connect your router to the adapter, then the other in your room next to your computer and you connector your computer to it. It's just bridging the ethernet connection through your home's electrical lines. I believe Linus has a video on it somewhere.

I believe this one is here he tests it:

You take two powerline adapters that go in your outlets. You put one next to your router and connect your router to the adapter, then the other in your room next to your computer and you connector your computer to it. It's just bridging the ethernet connection through your home's electrical lines. I believe Linus has a video on it somewhere.

case closed - problem solved :P

powerline adapters dont work that well

That used to be the case, but these days they work well. Much better than wifi anyway.

powerline adapters dont work that well

Don't they not? They seem like they could work.

fyi, incontinent means you can't hold your poo in. You mean inconvenient.

As for options, a long ethernet cable is the best way to go if possible. I have powerline adapters but they're a last resort - latency is fine but the bandwidth is terrible.

fyi, incontinent means you can't hold your poo in. You mean inconvenient.

As for options, a long ethernet cable is the best way to go if possible. I have powerline adapters but they're a last resort - latency is fine but the bandwidth is terrible.

Lol I wrote this on my phone so that is what auto correct got. Thanks though, it seems a ethernet cord is the best bet.