Intel i7 4770k or i7 3770k Design or Power

Go to solution Solved by Dave :),

The motherboards for Z87 chipset have much nicer features than Z77. There is a slight performance increase with Haswell; however, that is hardly noticeable in real life applications. That said, the lower power draw Haswell offers still makes it a tempting buy for me. As others have said, it may be an idea to wait for all the Z87 motherboard line ups to be released so you can make an informed decision based on comparisons between the two options.

Im buying my first build but I dont know what processor to chose Intel i7 3770k with a red color sceme Asus maximus V fomula Extended ATX (which I love) or a 4770k with a Asus Sabertooth Z78 I saw the comparison between the two on Tech of Tomorrows youtube channel and cant see much of a difference

Im on a $2600 budget and im at $2587.89 with the 3770k build but with the sabertooth motherboard with the 4770k the prices will be the same give or take a few dollars Should I sacrafice design for power?

4770k, u will need a certified PSU to utilize it to the fullest though

Character artist in the Games industry.

3770K. Little to no difference in terms of performance.. 

There will be Maximus VI Formula too for Z87. just asus havent announce it yet. wait a couple more days. Computex is around the corner =)

Theres already a teaser of it. so why dont just wait a couple more days if u aint hurry?

asus-maximus-vi-formula-supreme-fx-evolu

My 2013 First Build
Processor : Intel i7 3930K | Motherboard : Asus Rampage IV GENE | RAM : 2x Corsair Vengeance 1600Mhz 2x4GB Kit (Mix color black and red) | Graphics : Asus GTX 680 Direct CU II OC | SSD : Intel 520 Series 120GB | Cooler : Corsair H100i | PSU : Corsair AX760 | Chassis : Corsair Obsidian 650D | Mouse : Razer Mamba 4G Edition | Keyboard : Razer BlackWidow Ultimate 2013

Performance will be better with a 4770 but in everyday use you will not notice it. Looks are important if you have a case with a window but for me as a tech freek i would want the newest of the newest if available ....

CPU: AMD FX 8120 @4.5Ghz - CPU cooler: Cooler Master Nepton 240M Watercooling - Mobo: Asus M5A97Pro - GPU: Sapphire Radeon R9 280X Vapor-X @ 1200Mhz - Memory: Kingston Hyper X 16GBs DDR3 - Storage: Kingston SSD & Seagate Baracude HDD - PSU: Cooler Master V850W PSU- Case: Cooler Master Cosmost II

-- Build Log old PC (HAF XB): 'the Cube': http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/36288-the-cube-cooler-master-haf-xb/ --

I personally think that the sabertooth actually looks pretty damn nice anyway

<p>Mobo - Asus P9X79 LE ----------- CPU - I7 4930K @ 4.4GHz ------ COOLER - Custom Loop ---------- GPU - R9 290X Crossfire ---------- Ram - 8GB Corsair Vengence Pro @ 1866 --- SSD - Samsung 840 Pro 128GB ------ PSU - Corsair AX 860i ----- Case - Corsair 900D

The motherboards for Z87 chipset have much nicer features than Z77. There is a slight performance increase with Haswell; however, that is hardly noticeable in real life applications. That said, the lower power draw Haswell offers still makes it a tempting buy for me. As others have said, it may be an idea to wait for all the Z87 motherboard line ups to be released so you can make an informed decision based on comparisons between the two options.

When are Gigabyte and Asus come scheduled to come out with the new Z87 motherboards? (Especially Asus ROG)

When are Gigabyte and Asus come scheduled to come out with the new Z87 motherboards? (Especially Asus ROG)

I believe Gigabyte have already completely unveiled their line up. Here.

I read a review yesterday that put them head to head, and because the 3770k they were using hit 4.8ghz it was actually faster than the Haswell at its max clock because the Haswell got so hot it could only clock to 4.5ghz.

Area 51 2014. Intel 5820k@ 4.4ghz. MSI X99.16gb Quad channel ram. AMD Fury X.Asus RAIDR.OCZ ARC 480gb SSD. Velociraptor 600gb. 2tb WD.

Though you get much higher efficiency.

"It pays to keep an open mind, but not so open your brain falls out." - Carl Sagan.

"I can explain it to you, but I can't understand it for you" - Edward I. Koch

I read a review yesterday that put them head to head, and because the 3770k they were using hit 4.8ghz it was actually faster than the Haswell at its max clock because the Haswell got so hot it could only clock to 4.5ghz.

Clock speed is only one aspect of what makes a good cpu. Haswell has a better IPC which certainly has an effect on real world performance, perhaps more so that raw clock speed, although that is a contributing factor.

Clock speed is only one aspect of what makes a good cpu. Haswell has a better IPC which certainly has an effect on real world performance, perhaps more so that raw clock speed, although that is a contributing factor.

You clearly didn't read his post. He said haswell max oc was 4.5 and ivy was 4.8. The IPC gains was't enough so the ivy was actually faster if both of them where at max OC.