The Vanishing of Ethan Carter, out now on Steam/GOG, $20

Linusinium

http://ethancartergame.com/

It's a great looking game, an indie title easily confused with AAA stuff out there. Can't say much without spoiling it so I'll keep it short. Speaking of short, I feel am nearing the ending, roughly 5 hours in. Best enjoyed with a slow, paced approach. Definitely recommend.

TVoEC_ScreenShot_04.jpg

TVoEC_ScreenShot_01.jpg

This is LTT. One cannot force "style over substance" values & agenda on people that actually aren't afraid to pop the lid off their electronic devices, which happens to be the most common denominator of this community. Rather than take shots at this community in every post, why not seek out like-minded individuals elsewhere?

Looks beautiful.

Does the game-play live up to the visuals and the atmosphere. Is it any fun to play?

Looks beautiful.

Does the game-play live up to the visuals and the atmosphere. Is it any fun to play?

It is but to be perfectly honest it's not for everyone. It's a mystery solving game, heavily focused on exploration and observation. It has no action in the traditional sense. If you liked Limbo and Brothers: A Tale of Two Sons or Dear Esther, chances are you will like it.

As most games of it's kind, it loses most of it's appeal in the first playthrough. Again, I found it to be an outstanding game but it's no coincidence that you are the first and only to respond to the thread.

A "new" gamer, conditioned by typical AAA shooter non stop action, turret sections and quick time events, is probably going to go nuts within first 30 minutes. It's a slow paced detective game, on a huge map with very few save points.

This is LTT. One cannot force "style over substance" values & agenda on people that actually aren't afraid to pop the lid off their electronic devices, which happens to be the most common denominator of this community. Rather than take shots at this community in every post, why not seek out like-minded individuals elsewhere?

It is but to be perfectly honest it's not for everyone. It's a mystery solving game, heavily focused on exploration and observation. It has no action in the traditional sense. If you liked Limbo and Brothers: A Tale of Two Sons or Dear Esther, chances are you will like it.

As most games of it's kind, it loses most of it's appeal in the first playthrough. Again, I found it to be an outstanding game but it's no coincidence that you are the first and only to respond to the thread.

A "new" gamer, conditioned by typical AAA shooter non stop action, turret sections and quick time events, is probably going to go nuts within first 30 minutes. It's a slow paced detective game, on a huge map with very few save points.

I am not a person who needs AAA mindless shooting or action.

But at the same time I felt like Dear Esther was not fun to play. It was impressive because of the graphics. But there was nothing to do except walk from the beginning to the end of the map. I do have a strong appreciation of story, setting and atmosphere in a game but I believe it should be used to create player motivation to either progress in the game or uncover more...

I hope that at least Ethan Carter has some gameplay, and player motivation to progress and uncover more story. Then the player should be rewarded and given further motivation.... Dear Esther did not do any of that.

I am not a person who needs AAA mindless shooting or action.

But at the same time I felt like Dear Esther was not fun to play. It was impressive because of the graphics. But there was nothing to do except walk from the beginning to the end of the map. I do have a strong appreciation of story, setting and atmosphere in a game but I believe it should be used to create player motivation to either progress in the game or uncover more...

I hope that at least Ethan Carter has some gameplay, and player motivation to progress and uncover more story. Then the player should be rewarded and given further motivation.... Dear Esther did not do any of that.

Watch some videos before deciding. If Dear Esther disappointed you, this one will probably too. Personally, I downloaded the minute it was on Steam and I didn't go to sleep until I finished, about 5 hours total.