Best software for making a game for school project

murratri

A friend and I are planning on making a game for a TSA(Technology Student Association) competition. We are currently in year 8 and are doing this for a fun project during class. The rules for the competition are

Video Game Design Participants [one team (of at least two participants) per chapter, one entry per team] develop an E-rated game that focuses on the subject of their choice. The game should be interesting, exciting, visually appealing and intellectually challenging. A working, interactive game is submitted for evaluation.

Additional rules:
Must boot from a disc
Must run run a windows pc

Must boot within 3 minutes

We need help selecting software to use to write the game. If any one can recommend us software and give tips/tricks it would be much appreciated. We are currently thinking of using Microsoft XNA Game Studio. Thanks to everyone that offers constructive feedback. 

P.S. I probably used bad terminologies but please forgive my ignorance

And so GabeN has told us to march forthith unto the Land of Holy welding our swords of mice, shields of keyboards, and helmets of Oculus Rifts where we shall reclaim it-which is rightfully ours-from the PUNY Console Peasants from whom armed only with mere controllers we shall decimate in all forms of battle and we shall dominate even in their most ridiculous tradition and infatuation of CoD. Yes, my brothers- sisters and trans sexuals too- we shall destroy the inferior of races with our might and majesty. And if any Peasants wish to join us they must speak now or forever perish. -Ancient Speech from a Leader of Old, Book of Murratri section 2

In complete honesty... Unreal engine 4 is unmathcable with it's options. giving you templates for any type of game you want.

Computing enthusiast. 
I use to be able to input a cheat code now I've got to input a credit card - Total Biscuit

In complete honesty... Unreal engine 4 is unmathcable with it's options. giving you templates for any type of game you want.

Dont they charge a license fee?

And so GabeN has told us to march forthith unto the Land of Holy welding our swords of mice, shields of keyboards, and helmets of Oculus Rifts where we shall reclaim it-which is rightfully ours-from the PUNY Console Peasants from whom armed only with mere controllers we shall decimate in all forms of battle and we shall dominate even in their most ridiculous tradition and infatuation of CoD. Yes, my brothers- sisters and trans sexuals too- we shall destroy the inferior of races with our might and majesty. And if any Peasants wish to join us they must speak now or forever perish. -Ancient Speech from a Leader of Old, Book of Murratri section 2

Dont they charge a license fee?

https://www.unrealengine.com/education

"We’re working to build a company that succeeds when UE4 developers succeed. Anyone can ship a commercial product with UE4 by paying 5% of gross revenue resulting from sales to users."

Since you're no making any money from this project you only have to pay the 20$ a month... but if thats a little tough to swallow. It is the Best engine like right now and is well worth it.

Computing enthusiast. 
I use to be able to input a cheat code now I've got to input a credit card - Total Biscuit

https://www.unrealengine.com/education

"We’re working to build a company that succeeds when UE4 developers succeed. Anyone can ship a commercial product with UE4 by paying 5% of gross revenue resulting from sales to users."

Since you're no making any money from this project you only have to pay the 20$ a month... but if thats a little tough to swallow. It is the Best engine like right now and is well worth it.

I will discus it with my partner and teacher and see if we might be able to work something out, but we still might not be able to do it.

Might be a bit of a challenge, but what about Source? Pretty much buy any Source game and you have access to it(or am I mistaken?).

Plus the Valve Complete Pack is 75% off and the Half Life franchise is as well. You can get it pretty cheap right now.