Its Total War Weekend on Steam!

gurnben

plez which game? Rom, empire? Shogun?

† TTCF Member † Jesus loves you! Have a good day and stay techie!

If you're going to buy the entire grand collection don't, you can save money by buying the individual packs, and then buying each shogun game independently..for some reason the shogun pack is 49.99 and the individual games are 22.67 :P

Personally I absolutely love Shogun 2. It is a fantastic game and i have (literally) spent hundreds of hours playing it. Also try to get the fall of the samurai DLC with it if possible. Other than that my friends really enjoy empire though I havent played that one ( Just bought it). 

Personally I absolutely love Shogun 2. It is a fantastic game and i have (literally) spent hundreds of hours playing it. Also try to get the fall of the samurai DLC with it if possible. Other than that my friends really enjoy empire though I havent played that one ( Just bought it). 

Im going to start out with napolean, are these games like Civ 5?

Im going to start out with napolean, are these games like Civ 5?

No. They do have a turn-based campaign map, like Civ V, but that's pretty much where the similarity ends. The Total War games have some limited city building options, economic, technological and diplomatic elements, but they are most (as the name suggests) about fighting battles. Civ is about your civilisation, and Total War is about your army. Unlike Civ, the battles are fought in real time, with you able to command individual units.

As to which to get, Napoleon is a good choice - people tend to find it to be an improved version of Empire. Empire had terrible AI and Napoleon fixed that, to an extent, though it isn't as broad as Empire - which was huge.

The two Shogun games are probably the best the Total War team have produced, but I don't think there's a bad game amongst them, personally, and I own them all. The best way to choose is to decide what period's armies interest you the most, and buy that game. Want to watch the Legion smash barbarians? Buy a Rome game. Want to command Samurai? Get Shogun. etc

Enjoy Napoleon. It's a great game.

No. They do have a turn-based campaign map, like Civ V, but that's pretty much where the similarity ends. The Total War games have some limited city building options, economic, technological and diplomatic elements, but they are most (as the name suggests) about fighting battles. Civ is about your civilisation, and Total War is about your army. Unlike Civ, the battles are fought in real time, with you able to command individual units.

As to which to get, Napoleon is a good choice - people tend to find it to be an improved version of Empire. Empire had terrible AI and Napoleon fixed that, to an extent, though it isn't as broad as Empire - which was huge.

The two Shogun games are probably the best the Total War team have produced, but I don't think there's a bad game amongst them, personally, and I own them all. The best way to choose is to decide what period's armies interest you the most, and buy that game. Want to watch the Legion smash barbarians? Buy a Rome game. Want to command Samurai? Get Shogun. etc

Enjoy Napoleon. It's a great game.

I bought both, just dont tell me mom ;) (both being shogun 2 and napolean)

I bought both, just dont tell me mom ;) (both being shogun 2 and napolean)

Good lad. Now buy all the rest and some snacks and you're set for the next year.

Not going to buy another entry since I already have 4 of them that I never played, just picking up an odd DLC I didn't have.

The stone cannot know why the chisel cleaves it; the iron cannot know why the fire scorches it. When thy life is cleft and scorched, when death and despair leap at thee, beat not thy breast and curse thy evil fate, but thank the Builder for the trials that shape thee.

Good lad. Now buy all the rest and some snacks and you're set for the next year.

They're that addicting ?

They're that addicting ?

It's a turn based strategy game. They all have this phenomenon called "just one more turn".

It refers to the this weird anomaly where a previously rational human being turns into a ghoul in front of their computer repeating phrases like "Just one more turn and I'll quit, just one more turn and I'll sleep, just one more turn and I'll feed my children" etc. Needless to say, that one more turn is never enough to satisfy them...

The stone cannot know why the chisel cleaves it; the iron cannot know why the fire scorches it. When thy life is cleft and scorched, when death and despair leap at thee, beat not thy breast and curse thy evil fate, but thank the Builder for the trials that shape thee.

It's a turn based strategy game. They all have this phenomenon called "just one more turn".

It refers to the this weird anomaly where a previously rational human being turns into a ghoul in front of their computer repeating phrases like "Just one more turn and I'll quit, just one more turn and I'll sleep, just one more turn and I'll feed my children" etc. Needless to say, that one more turn is never enough to satisfy them...

Huh maybe that is why i have 90 hours in civ 5 in one month lol..

In my mind there is no bad total war. They are all worth the buy!

Rome 2 has improved a lot since launch (14 big patches). The newly launched  emperor edition (free upgrade) fixed the whole political system, mods have also helped the game become better. So becuase of all this i cant decide which Rome game is the best.

Even though many people did not like empire, i actually liked the game a lot, the grand scale and time periode was pretty nice. I ones become european ruler with sweden which then resulted in a revolution, when this happens you're forced to make a decision, stay loyal to the old system or go with the new. Pretty nice feature.

If you ask me Total War is one of the best strategy game out there (if not the best) 

Hardware: Intel I7 4790K 4Ghz | Asus Maximus VII Hero Z97 | Gigabyte 780 Windforce OC | Noctua NH-U12P SE2 | Sandisk Extreme Pro 480GB | Seagate 500Gb 7200Rpm | Phanteks Enthoo Luxe | EVGA Supernova G2 850W | Noctua NF12 | SupremeFX 2014 | Patriot Viper 3 16GB.

Gaming Gear: Cooler Master TK Stealth | Sennheiser PC350SE | Steelseries Rival | LG IPS23L-BN ' 5ms | Philips Brillians 144hz 

I would take Rome. Shugon was really good, but the time period wasn't my favorite.

Hardware: Intel I7 4790K 4Ghz | Asus Maximus VII Hero Z97 | Gigabyte 780 Windforce OC | Noctua NH-U12P SE2 | Sandisk Extreme Pro 480GB | Seagate 500Gb 7200Rpm | Phanteks Enthoo Luxe | EVGA Supernova G2 850W | Noctua NF12 | SupremeFX 2014 | Patriot Viper 3 16GB.

Gaming Gear: Cooler Master TK Stealth | Sennheiser PC350SE | Steelseries Rival | LG IPS23L-BN ' 5ms | Philips Brillians 144hz 

I have over 2000 hours on all TW games combined, so here would be my choices.

My favourite was Empire, but that's because of the great bias for the period.. I simply love the imperial period.. Napoleon is a better game than Empire, although it lacks a global campaign. Arguably, the ones it has are also fine, so I would probably recommend Napoleon for this time period.

I think the best game in the series was Shogun 2. Technically and mechanically great with awesome depth. I didn't really like the Rise of the Samurai expansion. It felt like a stripped down version of Shogun 2, but Fall of the Samurai was great. Probably personal bias here as it is closer to Empire :)

Rome 2 has improved a lot but is still a faulty game.. I loved the original Rome TW, but this one just feels lacking in features. Didn't try the DLC yet and I will probably pick up one or two during this sale.

TLDR: Get Shogun2 if you don't mind the focus on Japan, it's hands down the best TW game. Get Napoleon of you like the imperial period or Medieval2 for the middle ages. I probably wouldn't recommend Rome2

I have over 2000 hours on all TW games combined, so here would be my choices.

My favourite was Empire, but that's because of the great bias for the period.. I simply love the imperial period.. Napoleon is a better game than Empire, although it lacks a global campaign. Arguably, the ones it has are also fine, so I would probably recommend Napoleon for this time period.

I think the best game in the series was Shogun 2. Technically and mechanically great with awesome depth. I didn't really like the Rise of the Samurai expansion. It felt like a stripped down version of Shogun 2, but Fall of the Samurai was great. Probably personal bias here as it is closer to Empire :)

Rome 2 has improved a lot but is still a faulty game.. I loved the original Rome TW, but this one just feels lacking in features. Didn't try the DLC yet and I will probably pick up one or two during this sale.

TLDR: Get Shogun2 if you don't mind the focus on Japan, it's hands down the best TW game. Get Napoleon of you like the imperial period or Medieval2 for the middle ages. I probably wouldn't recommend Rome2

Is it worth getting any of the DLC for Shogun 2 and if so which ones?

Is it worth getting any of the DLC for Shogun 2 and if so which ones?

Faction packs are pretty meh... Wouldn't pick them up unless you happen to like it for historical reasons. I would probably get the Blood Pack for lolz :) (only 39 cents!). Rise of the Samurai is all right for someone who tried everything there is in the base game.

Fall of the Samurai is brilliant in my opinion, although many people don't like guns. They tend to make combat more static if both sides are from the shogunate side. It's also a standalone, but I wouldn't recommend it over the base game.

Faction packs are pretty meh... Wouldn't pick them up unless you happen to like it for historical reasons. I would probably get the Blood Pack for lolz :) (only 39 cents!). Rise of the Samurai is all right for someone who tried everything there is in the base game.

Fall of the Samurai is brilliant in my opinion, although many people don't like guns. They tend to make combat more static if both sides are from the shogunate side. It's also a standalone, but I wouldn't recommend it over the base game.

Appreciate you help, I think I'll just get the base game for now, thanks. 

All of them are good, particularly Rome 2, Empire, and Napoleon

All of them are good, particularly Rome 2, Empire, and Napoleon

I hope that's sarcasm seeing as you listed 2 of the worst and most technically faulty Total war games made to date.

Quite surprised that they are still charging 80 dollars (in aus) for the pile of mediocrity that is Rome 2. 

I hope that's sarcasm seeing as you listed 2 of the worst and most technically faulty Total war games made to date.

Quite surprised that they are still charging 80 dollars (in aus) for the pile of mediocrity that is Rome 2.

I was a late adopter of all three of these games, so many of the issues had been fixed. I have enjoyed all three of the games thus far, and I'm sorry if I offended someone.

Which one of these should I get guys? I've only played Rome back then and loved it! Thought I'd collect your opinions first. :)

SimRacer - Casual FSX Pilot!

Spoiler

Mobo: MSI B550 Tomahawk | CPU: Ryzen R5 3600 | GPU: Vega 64 Sapphire Nitro | RAM: 16GB Crucial Ballistix DDR4 3200Mhz | PSU: EVGA P2 1000W 80Plus Platinum | Storage: 256GB Samsung 840 Pro SSD - 1TB WD Black - 2TB Seagate HDD | Cooling: Dark Rock Pro 3, Noiseblocker eLoop Fans | Case: Phanteks Enthoo Luxe | Audio: Sennheiser HD598 - JBL LSR305s | Display: BenQ EX3501R, Asus VG278H

Spoiler

Which one of these should I get guys? I've only played Rome back then and loved it! Thought I'd collect your opinions first. :)

check out the first page   :) lots of opinions there