Help on overclocking my CPU intel Core i7-3820

y.abualreesh

Blend will do just fine

Actually I am  getting good results so far (after applying 1.3 volt).  I noticed lower Temps and more stable temps on ideal, before my temps was fluctuating even on ideal at 4.4GHz.

This is the results I have so far :

1) Small FFTs 1 Hour getting 4.313 GHz
temps (min 63 C , max 68 C)

2) Blend test 1 Hour getting 4.313 GHz
Temps (min 63 C , max 66 C)

Blend test still running now to check, because my PC was always crashing  after 2 Hours exact.

Blend will do just fine

:o  :o  :blink:  my PC crashes at the same point 2 Hours exact. 

I think there is something else wrong, because my system always crashes at the same exact time. 

Do you think this is related to RAM issues or OS issue???

now I will revert all my setting to default and run my Memory at 1333MHz rather than 1866MHz (XMP), and I will test for more that 2 Hours to find where the issue is.

if the same issue still exist I will re-install my OS, because it been there since more than 1.5 year now.

or if you have any suggestion for me ??? 

Actually I am getting good results so far (after applying 1.3 volt). I noticed lower Temps and more stable temps on ideal, before my temps was fluctuating even on ideal at 4.4GHz.

This is the results I have so far :

1) Small FFTs my PC was always crashing after 2 Hours exact.

you can try lowering the voltage and the clockspeed to around 1. 28v and 4.3mhz, it looks like you lost the Silicon lottery.

:o  :o  :blink:  my PC crashes at the same point 2 Hours exact. 

I think there is something else wrong, because my system always crashes at the same exact time. 

Do you think this is related to RAM issues or OS issue???

now I will revert all my setting to default and run my Memory at 1333MHz rather than 1866MHz (XMP), and I will test for more that 2 Hours to find where the issue is.

if the same issue still exist I will re-install my OS, because it been there since more than 1.5 year now.

or if you have any suggestion for me ??? 

adjust your vccsa load line to extreme and your cpu load line to high

and your ram to 1600Mhz

also are you attempting to use the level up feature in ai suite if so Don't  ,do it all manually 

and also make sure you have the lastest bios

you can try lowering the voltage and the clockspeed to around 1. 28v and 4.3mhz, it looks like you lost the Silicon lottery.

Maybe this is the case I lost the silicon lottery.  :unsure:

adjust your vccsa load line to extreme and your cpu load line to high

and your ram to 1600Mhz

also are you attempting to use the level up feature in ai suite if so Don't  ,do it all manually 

and also make sure you have the lastest bios

I will try this and we keep my memory at 1333Mhz for now until I get stable CPU.

blend is not the best test if youre going for ultimate stability

OK then which test is the best for ultimate  stability 

OK then which test is the best for ultimate  stability 

blend works fine, the difference between large fft and blend isn't that much of a difference both stress the cpu

linus likes prime95 for CPUs (i haven't used it though)

honestly???

blend works fine, the difference between large fft and blend isn't that much of a difference both stress the cpu

uhhh, if you ever tested them both straight for 2 hours you'd sure know the difference...

uhhh, if you ever tested them both straight for 2 hours you'd sure know the difference...

i have and currently stable

onlyhting i noticed differnce was the thermal load

• 2 weeks later...

Hi there,

Sorry for late reply, but I was two busy in the last few days at work  :wacko: .

I did some tests on overclocking my CPU and I was getting grate results   :) 
(revert all my setting to default and run my Memory at 1333MHz rather than 1866MHz (XMP) and new OS installation)

1) Blend test more than 24 Hour getting 4.3 GHz ( did change the Turbo Ratio to 43  only)

Temp (min 63 C , max 66 C)

2) Blend test more than 24 Hour getting 4.6 GHz ( did change the Turbo Ratio to 46  and  vccsa load line to extreme and CPU load line to high at 1.3 Volts) I did not try to reduce voltage ;)
Temp (min 74 C , max 78 C)

I was impressed with this results :D . I ran my PC for couple days at 4.6GHz and it was stable with no crashes at all. 
But after that I revert back to 4.3GHz and its working fine since then, because I do not like to see temps over 70 C and I know its normal. But after all my CPU working like a champ right now. 

I think the issue was  with My Memory running at  1866MHz (XMP). Now after I got stable CPU I will try to run it at 1600MHz and see how it goes. ;)

Hi there,

Sorry for late reply, but I was two busy in the last few days at work  :wacko: .

I did some tests on overclocking my CPU and I was getting grate results   :) 

(revert all my setting to default and run my Memory at 1333MHz rather than 1866MHz (XMP) and new OS installation)

1) Blend test more than 24 Hour getting 4.3 GHz ( did change the Turbo Ratio to 43  only)

Temp (min 63 C , max 66 C)

2) Blend test more than 24 Hour getting 4.6 GHz ( did change the Turbo Ratio to 46  and  vccsa load line to extreme and CPU load line to high at 1.3 Volts) I did not try to reduce voltage ;)
Temp (min 74 C , max 78 C)

I was impressed with this results :D . I ran my PC for couple days at 4.6GHz and it was stable with no crashes at all. 

But after that I revert back to 4.3GHz and its working fine since then, because I do not like to see temps over 70 C and I know its normal. But after all my CPU working like a champ right now. 

I think the issue was  with My Memory running at  1866MHz (XMP). Now after I got stable CPU I will try to run it at 1600MHz and see how it goes. ;)

your 4.6 ghz overclock isn't that bad, its what i run at and i have lower temps but other then that your mem should run at full speed with no issues but i have never had any issues with ram messing with my overclocks