Fluffy

Aristocrates

Hi :)

I've set out on the noble journey to build my first PC :)

After some thought, and input from the nice people here, this is what I'm going with:

Case: Bitfenix Prodigy-M (Arctic White)

Motherboard: Asus Maximus VII Gene

CPU: Intel Core i7-4790K

CPU Cooler: Corsair H100i

RAM: G.Skill Trident X 2133MHz CL9 32GB (4x8GB)

GPU: Sparkle Calibre GTX580

OS Drive: Samsung 500GB 850 Evo SSD

Application Drive: WD Caviar Black 2TB

Data Drive: WD Caviar Green 4TB

PSU: Cooler Master V700

Monitor: LG 25UM55 21:9 2560x1080 25"

2x Corsair sp120 fans for exhaust through the bottom

I'll be colouring components green as they arrive :)

I still have the 760 up there, but the Asus Strix 970 is seducing me...

The case arrived to-day, so I thought this would be as good a time as any to start this thread :)

c782c1163600933db7652bb666d7ee45.png

I can't actually afford to get everything at once, so I'll be getting one or two parts each month - I estimate to be able to get the pc working by march of next year :)

Only to think... a PC that I've built with my own hands will be Fluffy, and I shall love it, and it shall be my Fluffy :)

-·- BitFenix Prodigy M (Arctic White) -·- Asus Maximus VII Gene -·- Intel Core i7-4790K -·- Corsair H100i -·- G.Skill Trident X 2133MHz CL9 32GB (4x8GB) -·- Sparkle Calibre GTX580 -·- Samsung 500GB 850 Evo SSD -·- WD Caviar Green 4TB -·- Cooler Master V700 -·- LG 25UM55 21:9 2560x1080 25" -·- Logitech G600 -·-

I can't actually afford to get everything at once, so I'll be getting one or two parts each month - I estimate to be able to get the pc working by march of next year :)

Story of my life

Steve

• 3 weeks later...

One step less far ^^ 

104f504618f3b1469e2f548ea8e4913d.png

-·- BitFenix Prodigy M (Arctic White) -·- Asus Maximus VII Gene -·- Intel Core i7-4790K -·- Corsair H100i -·- G.Skill Trident X 2133MHz CL9 32GB (4x8GB) -·- Sparkle Calibre GTX580 -·- Samsung 500GB 850 Evo SSD -·- WD Caviar Green 4TB -·- Cooler Master V700 -·- LG 25UM55 21:9 2560x1080 25" -·- Logitech G600 -·-

By the name I was expecting it to be actually fluffy...

a PC that I've built with my own hands will be Fluffy, and I shall love it, and it shall be my Fluffy :)

^^

By fluffy I meant something along the lines of this...

Cute ^^

But no, not literal fluffiness :)

Case: Bitfenix Prodigy-M (Arctic White)

I've build one PC into that case and I must say that it was one of the most pain in the ass cases ever to work with.

Also it's made of cheap rattling plastic/steel parts. I had to mod it not to make too much noise.

But anyhow I wish you all the best luck with your build! :)

I've build one PC into that case and I must say that it was one of the most pain in the ass cases ever to work with.

Also it's made of cheap rattling plastic/steel parts. I had to mod it not to make too much noise.

But anyhow I wish you all the best luck with your build! :)

:blink:

thank... you...?

Cute ^^

But no, not literal fluffiness :)

aww man...

BTW, we're in a similar stiuation where we can't buy something wholesale and we need to buy parts as funds build up (before the funds vanish due to something completely unrelated)... Best of luck with the build...

(You may want to fix your original post for night theme users... I can't read the important stuff without hightlighting first...)

BTW, we're in a similar stiuation where we can't buy something wholesale and we need to buy parts as funds build up (before the funds vanish due to something completely unrelated)... Best of luck with the build...

Exactly :P thank you :)

(You may want to fix your original post for night theme users... I can't read the important stuff without hightlighting first...)

Uh oh, how do I do that? :P

Uh oh, how do I do that? :P

Just change the font colors to auto and you're in the clear... ( :

Just change the font colors to auto and you're in the clear... ( :

Um... doing that makes stuff not green any more :(

Um... doing that makes stuff not green any more :(

Keeping the green is fine... The gray is the one you'd want to fix...

Here's a snippet of how it looks like in night theme:

5bc38d1d1f.png

Keeping the green is fine... The gray is the one you'd want to fix...

Here's a snippet of how it looks like in night theme:

- snip(pet) -

Ohhhhh ok, I'll get right on it then :)

Better? :)

• 4 weeks later...

So I did a test fit yesterday, and it turns out the radiator on the H100i is too long to fit between the back of the case and the PSU :P

But no biggie, It'll just go on the top intake instead - the screw holes up there line up perfectly :)

The setup you're building is near enough the same I'm working towards as well. Got the Prodigy M case about two months ago and it is a pain to work with but looks so nice. I'm interested to see how the h100i fits, I resisted as I thought it would be a challenge to install and went with a h80i.

I'm working towards by Christmas to get the ASUS maximus gene vii with an i7 4790k because my board is too old.

You said you're thinking of getting a GTX 970, I've got one in my set up and if you do get it, you'll need to remove the CD tray to fit it in. Im going to cut the mounting tray so I can fit in my 970 and my recon fan controller. I'll leave a picture of my setup as it stands so you can see how long the 970 is in the case. Anyway I look forward to see how your setup comes along.

vGwGkuJ.jpg

Oh I've also flipped the case upside down to create better airflow otherwise the motherboard is the wrong way up and the PSU is blowing downwards.

Motherboard - ASUS GENE VII   CPU - i5-4690k   Ram - 2X4GB Corsair Vengeance Pro DDR3-2133MHz   GPU - ASUS GTX 970 STRIX 4GB   PSU - Corsair CX750   SSD - Samsung 840 EVO 250GB

Case - Bitfenix Prodigy M (White)   OS - Windows 8.1 (64x)

The setup you're building is near enough the same I'm working towards as well. Got the Prodigy M case about two months ago and it is a pain to work with but looks so nice. I'm interested to see how the h100i fits, I resisted as I thought it would be a challenge to install and went with a h80i.

I'm working towards by Christmas to get the ASUS maximus gene vii with an i7 4790k because my board is too old.

You said you're thinking of getting a GTX 970, I've got one in my set up and if you do get it, you'll need to remove the CD tray to fit it in. Im going to cut the mounting tray so I can fit in my 970 and my recon fan controller. I'll leave a picture of my setup as it stands so you can see how long the 970 is in the case. Anyway I look forward to see how your setup comes along.

vGwGkuJ.jpg

Oh I've also flipped the case upside down to create better airflow otherwise the motherboard is the wrong way up and the PSU is blowing downwards.

I'm glad to find someone who shares my love for the Prodigy M, and that is a very interesting approach you have there :)

Your picture had me worried at first about the clearance between the GPU and the H100i at the top (bottom for you) until I noticed the PCIe x1 slot that causes the GPU to go down (/up? ;) ) to the 2nd and 3rd expansion slots - that is not the case with the Gene, so there's more room, and no interference with the 5,25" mount because the GPU will sit further down (up) and the H100i's radiator is thin enough to squeeze between it and the top of the case with fans and everything - although I did unscrew and remove it so as to un-obstruct the airflow, and because I have no desire to use it - and am unable to do so anyway, because of where the rad will be; you, on the other hand, do not need to cut or remove anything, I don't think - once you get the gene, the 970 will move one slot and thus no longer interfere with the 5,25" mount, and neither will anything else, since you only have fans there and no H100i rad :)

It does however look like you might need to rotate your H80i's rad 90 degrees to accommodate the GPU closeness imposed by the Gene, which I hope does not cause interference with the I/O in turn :P

Also the Gene has a red and black colour scheme, but luckily you also have Corsair fans, which can easily have the rings switched to match it :)

I can put the rad in place with the fans tomorrow or the day after to take a picture with more light if you want, so you can see how it fits in the case :)

I'm glad to find someone who shares my love for the Prodigy M, and that is a very interesting approach you have there :)

It's a brilliant case, it's just a pain when you have to move stuff around, was such a pain to fit my GPU because of how long it is. Also love the Arctic colour, it just looks so nice.

Your picture had me worried at first about the clearance between the GPU and the H100i at the top (bottom for you) until I noticed the PCIe x1 slot that causes the GPU to go down (/up? ;) ) to the 2nd and 3rd expansion slots

Yeah my GPU sits one below what it would if it was in the gene, so you'll have a bit more clearance for your rad.

It does however look like you might need to rotate your H80i's rad 90 degrees to accommodate the GPU closeness imposed by the Gene, which I hope does not cause interference with the I/O in turn :P

I Just had a peep inside of my case and I will just get away with it. I'll have about 2mm of room between the rad and the GPU back plate so it should be fine with the Gene. Which is good.

Also the Gene has a red and black colour scheme, but luckily you also have Corsair fans, which can easily have the rings switched to match it :)

I've already switched out the rings in preparation the other day haha, I was moving my fans around so I changed all the rings while doing so. I took out the Bitfenix spectres and moved my AF120s to the bottom of my case, I'll get another set of AF120s around Christmas time. I'm also going to invest in the AX860i, because it's modular which is key for this case. My god working with the CX750 non modular PSU is a pain as cable management isn't that great within the prodigy m. As well as the fact the CX750 gets so loud when playing games, the AX860i is meant to be nice and quiet. Oh and it's red and black haha.

I can put the rad in place with the fans tomorrow or the day after to take a picture with more light if you want, so you can see how it fits in the case :)

Yeah that'd be great, I haven't actually seen a Prodigy M with a h100i inside of it. I think that's partly the reason why I resisted getting one because I had not seen it done before and didn't want to be stuck not being able to fit it in my new shiny case haha. I look forward to the pictures!

Oh and one last thing, if you do tinker around with your case a lot, I'd move that side panel to the other side so the Power/reset button, LED and reset cables are not in the way all the time. You have to remove them every time you open up the case and it is a pain. If you do switch the side panels around, you can turn the power button and reset button the right way up by unscrewing them and flipping them. But if you can cope with it then you won't need to worry.

Motherboard - ASUS GENE VII   CPU - i5-4690k   Ram - 2X4GB Corsair Vengeance Pro DDR3-2133MHz   GPU - ASUS GTX 970 STRIX 4GB   PSU - Corsair CX750   SSD - Samsung 840 EVO 250GB

It's a brilliant case, it's just a pain when you have to move stuff around, was such a pain to fit my GPU because of how long it is. Also love the Arctic colour, it just looks so nice.

:)

Yeah my GPU sits one below what it would if it was in the gene, so you'll have a bit more clearance for your rad.

I Just had a peep inside of my case and I will just get away with it. I'll have about 2mm of room between the rad and the GPU back plate so it should be fine with the Gene. Which is good.

Alrighty then, good to know  :)

I've already switched out the rings in preparation the other day haha, I was moving my fans around so I changed all the rings while doing so. I took out the Bitfenix spectres and moved my AF120s to the bottom of my case, I'll get another set of AF120s around Christmas time. I'm also going to invest in the AX860i, because it's modular which is key for this case. My god working with the CX750 non modular PSU is a pain as cable management isn't that great within the prodigy m. As well as the fact the CX750 gets so loud when playing games, the AX860i is meant to be nice and quiet. Oh and it's red and black haha.

I was actually going to go for the AX760i but ended up returning to my originally intended Cooler Master V700 because it's 50€ cheaper and just as good (also modular), and such a small system doesn't have much of a use for the added Corsair Link functionality.

Yeah that'd be great, I haven't actually seen a Prodigy M with a h100i inside of it. I think that's partly the reason why I resisted getting one because I had not seen it done before and didn't want to be stuck not being able to fit it in my new shiny case haha. I look forward to the pictures!

I have a busy day tomorrow, but, if I can't squeeze it in, definitely tuesday at the latest :)

Oh and one last thing, if you do tinker around with your case a lot, I'd move that side panel to the other side so the Power/reset button, LED and reset cables are not in the way all the time. You have to remove them every time you open up the case and it is a pain. If you do switch the side panels around, you can turn the power button and reset button the right way up by unscrewing them and flipping them. But if you can cope with it then you won't need to worry.

Teehee, I did actually switch the panels for that very reason right after doing the test fit with the H100i the other day  :D

It worries me a bit that the SSD mount fits snugly against the back of the motherboard tray in this configuration, as I was intending to route a number of cables back there, and this will make it rather tricky (I guess I could send them through one of the SSD mount slots (possibly the one that doesn't actually allow for a drive), but that would make that panel very finicky to handle), and plugging in my OS drive's power and data cables will likely also be a challenge, since I was thinking of putting it on the panel, but I guess I can put it on the drive bracket, since, looking at it, it seems that it can mount 3 2,5" AND 2 3,5" drives at the same time, as long as the 2,5" drives are installed before the 3,5"ers.

Good to know that I can turn the buttons, thank you :)

It worries me a bit that the SSD mount fits snugly against the back of the motherboard tray in this configuration, as I was intending to route a number of cables back there, and this will make it rather tricky (I guess I could send them through one of the SSD mount slots (possibly the one that doesn't actually allow for a drive), but that would make that panel very finicky to handle), and plugging in my OS drive's power and data cables will likely also be a challenge, since I was thinking of putting it on the panel, but I guess I can put it on the drive bracket, since, looking at it, it seems that it can mount 3 2,5" AND 2 3,5" drives at the same time, as long as the 2,5" drives are installed before the 3,5"ers.

Do you intend to put an SSD on the back of the motherboard then? Because I thought about it but the power SATA would not firmly fit against the metal frame of the case when plugged into an SSD. The metal bracket Bitfenix supply with the case to go across the whole frame is a pain in the bum so I got rid of it, plus the side panel mounting is not ideal either and so instead I took the side panel plastic bracket and modified it very unprofessionally and mounted a single SSD ghetto style. screwing it to anywhere I could. (But I've moved both my SSDs to the back of the case next to the rad. It looks a lot cleaner).

I also thought about routing cables behind the motherboard but there just isn't any space to do so. It would be interesting to see if you can.

Do you intend to put an SSD on the back of the motherboard then? Because I thought about it but the power SATA would not firmly fit against the metal frame of the case when plugged into an SSD. The metal bracket Bitfenix supply with the case to go across the whole frame is a pain in the bum so I got rid of it, plus the side panel mounting is not ideal either and so instead I took the side panel plastic bracket and modified it very unprofessionally and mounted a single SSD ghetto style. screwing it to anywhere I could. (But I've moved both my SSDs to the back of the case next to the rad. It looks a lot cleaner).

I also thought about routing cables behind the motherboard but there just isn't any space to do so. It would be interesting to see if you can.

Yeah, I was mostly afraid that the SATA power wouldn't fit  :unsure:

I don't think I have the heart to "ghetto-ify" my beautiful Prodigy :P

Luckily I don't mind the metal bracket :)