Is it safe to use previously applied thermal compound?

IAmAndre

Hi,

I'm having issues with my motherboard and I want to make some tests with another one. Do I have to remove all the thermal compound every time?

Thanks

yea its safe as long there is a adequate amount on it

The Wannabe is no longer. Replaced by the Flotilla. If you replace every part of a computer is it still the same computer?

Survived the Survivor 2299

Audio Engineer, Lighting Programmer, Video Engineer, FOH.

Remove the old one and appy new one, at least if you want to use your CPU for more than 20 seconds.

I once had one of these, now I've got this.

It is recommended you do.  But I don't always.  The key thing is DONT reuse it if it is thin, crusty, watery, or anything un-normal.

You can get a cleaning kit and compound on Amazon for like $8.

Please spend as much time writing your question, as you want me to spend responding to it.  Take some time, and explain your issue, please!

Spoiler

If you need to learn how to install Windows, check here:  http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/324871-guide-how-to-install-windows-the-right-way/

Event Viewer 101: https://youtu.be/GiF9N3fJbnE

If it's still pasty, and hasn't gone solid/dry/crusty, you could. It's not the best, but OK. Just make sure you don't get air bubbles.

As stated above, to be safe you are supposed to reapply the compound every single time you reseat a heatsink.

However, if you just applied fresh paste a few hours/days ago or whatever and want to test motherboards, it shouldn't cause any issues if you choose not to reapply. The paste will still be smooth. also make sure to apply a fresh batch if you know you will not be removing the heatsink again.

| i5-2500k | ASRock Extreme3 Gen3 | G.Skill 8GB | 2x XFX R9 280X | EVGA 1000W G2 Gold |

Nope, always remove the old paste with isopropyl alcohol and a micro fibre cloth. 

Corsair 750D | Asus Crosshair V Formula-Z | FX 9590 | Kingston HyperX 16GB@1866MHz | MSI R9 290X Lightning | Seasonic 1050W Platinum | 2x WD 3TB Green HDD | Samsung 840 Pro 256GB SSD | Crucial 512GB SSD 

Alphacool XT45 360mm | Alphacool Monsta 280mm | Silverstone AP121 | Silverstone AP141 | EK Supremacy Elite | EK ASUS C5F-Z | EK R9-290X Lightning | EK 3/8-1/2 Nickel | XSPC D5 Acrylic Tank | Primochill 3/8-1/2 

Always replace it to be safe. You don't want your nice parts to die right?

CPU: R5 5800X3D Motherboard - MSI X570 Gaming Plus RAM - 32GB Corsair DDR4 GPU - XFX 7900 XTX 4GB Case - NZXT H5 Flow (White) Storage - 2X 4TB Samsung 990 Pro PSU - Corsair RM100E Cooling - Corsair H100i Elite Capellix Keyboard Corsair K70 (Brown Switches)  Mouse - Corsair Nightsword RGB

No you don't have to remove it every time when doing the kind of testing you're doing, but when everything's final then just do a fresh application because that's gonna stay for the next year or so

The most common result of insufficient wattage is a paperweight that looks like a PC

short term testing, no it won't kill your CPU but it will be hotter. if you are testing overclocking capability you should reapply, and for long term use you absolutely should.