Is 144hz Worth it?

ChileanFox
Hi,
I recently sold my monitor so im looking to buy a new one.  Since I already have a decent PC  im thinking to buy a gaming monitor that has a good refresh rate, response time and adjustability. Ive been looking into the Asus and Benq that offer 144hz /1ms response time.
 but these are very expensive in my country (Asus is 410 USD and Benq almost 500 USD) so I don't know if they are worth the price , because in my case I have a 7970 GPU and those monitors may require a more powerful GPU to push more than 60 FPS. On my system i think I can barely push beyond that framerate on a few triple A games. 
So there's also the possibbility to buy an IPS monitor with low response time, as you may know they may have better colours but they also have ghosting and lag while gaming . 
On the other hand TN  panels don't have the latter issues, but  reviews say they have washed out colors, although ive read that this could be fixed by tweaking them on the monitor settings. 
Well, i only have these 3 options available, ranging from affordable to delirious price. I may have the budget to spend 500 dollars but I think its too much, considering i could be spending the extra cash on a new pc part instead, don't you think?. 
I dont play much FPS games, i mostly play competetive RTS or 3rd Person action games, some solo RPGs too. My PC rig is from last year but it still can handle most of these demanding titles i throw at it. Here is my Rig: http://imgur.com/a/u4pg2#0
I would like to know your comments and view on this, what would you do if you were me? Its a difficult choice, if it wasnt for the damn taxes...
I look forward to hearing from you

Edited by foxslink

If you can push 144fps then yes if you can't then no, i say get a good 60-75.

If you play competitive twitch first person shooters (i.e. Quake or CS) in a league and the result matters enough to you to spend extra on a monitor that will make playing twitch fps games nicer, then yes. Otherwise, get a good IPS monitor.

In short, yes.  

Not only does the higher frame rate look amazing when you can run it, you get the added benefit of never really needing to use vsync since the monitor is almost always going to have a refresh point at any given frame refresh.  Screen tearing is pretty much eliminated. 

I'm never going back to 60hz

Satan's buttcrack 4790K - MSI mpower ultramaxextreme AC - 16gb G.skillz Trident 2400 - ZLoLtac GTX 980  - Corsair H110 Overkill - Oculus Rift DK2 - Asus vg248qe7the144hzone

Yes if you have the horsepower, and depending on what games you play often you could have enough horsies to do it quite nicely

I forgot to mention that the Asus monitor has the Gsync upgrade option available and that would make it a bit more future proof if I were to buy this upgrade kit later. I dont know if Gsync works with AMD Video Cards, if it doesn't then I'd have to buy a new Nvdia card and that's inconvenient.​ Benq has PWM  in it so it's flicker free from the get go and it also has a newer technology to reduce blur called ULMB compared to Asus that uses Lightboost. But if you add this Gsync to the latter, then it would be even better than the first one. What do you think?

This Korean monitors you mentioned I dont know if its doable to buy them here, maybe they import them so i'd have to pay some extra for that. I will look into it.
This debate on how higher res is more important than motion is really tricky. I will have to look into wether i'll be able to push more than 60 fps, without reducing the settings too much. But even if i cant get the most out of the 144hz i might do it a few month later when i buy another Video Card or by getting this Gsync upgrade.
Thanks for your help  

Edited by foxslink