"Testbenched" PC won't boot after upgrade.

Go to solution Solved by BlownKapz,

I EMERGE VICTORIOUS!

So yeah it works fine now, boots and everything. I got frustrated and ordered a 4970k Devils canyon and a fitting Mobo, but just for the hell of it I decided to build the whole thing again in my new case before the new parts arrive.

Thats where I notice the speaker isn't actually ON the MoBo, but came from the case.

...Long story short it was a RAM issue. Somehow it mattered in which of the 2 color coded 3way configs my SINGLE Ram module sat, and it was even the second one. Never found any mention of that in the manual or online. In addition I am 100% sure that in my old build the ram sat in the first config, but hey I ain't complaining. Needless to say I canceled the order, will upgrade to Broadwell when it finally comes out, or maybe even skylake - Depends on how high I get this bad boy to OC. ;)

Thank y'all for helping me with an issue that would never have emerged if I hadn't been a retard. But hey, I did learn a lot from this, so its not all lost I suppose? :P

Again thanks, awesome community here. :)

Hey Forum people. :)

I have just now upgraded my 4 and a half-ish old PC with a Noctua NH D15, Corsair RM850 and new 2TB HDD. The case (Phantoo Luxe) arrives tomorrow so I thought I'd put everything together to see if it runs.

Well... It doesn't.

The Monitors don't seem to get input from the GPU, but the Motherboard itself and GPU etc power on and seem to run.

There must've been some step I forgot but I can't for the life of me figure out what.

Parts are:

Asus P6T SE Motherboard

Intel i7 920

Noctua NH D15

Corsair Vengeance 2x8Gb @1600

XFX Radeon HD7970

Corsair RM850

+my old Seagate Barracuda 1TB

I've tried 2 Different Monitors, nothing...

Only thing I could think of is the power for the Graphics card.. It needs an 8 and a 6 pin, and I used two that connect to the same 6pin on the PSU. I dont think that should be a problem but its the only thing I am unsure of.

Please let me know what I messed up, feel free to shout too. This is my first dabble into PC building, so to me it would've been a small miracle if it had worked flawlessly on the first try. :D

Thanks in advance! :)

PS: Uploader on my mobile doesn't seem to work great, pics will follow shortly

''The fist of justice is unisex'' -Batman

Try to boot it with only one ram module.

Intel i7 7700K | MSI Z270 Gaming M3 | MSI GTX 1070 Gaming X| Corsair Vengeance LPX 2x8GB DDR4 3000Mhz Samsung EVO 850 250GB | WD Blue 1TB | Corsair CS650M | Thermalright Macho Rev. A | NZXT S340

CM Storm Quickfire TK [MX Blues] | Zowie FK1 |  Kingston HyperX Cloud

Did that, according to the pinned post about POST boot issues. Also checked that the Monitor works etc etc.

Only thing I can't try out right now is whether of not the GPU actually works, since I don't have other rigs or buckets of GPUs lying around.

I'm trying to get my old one from my cousin, but goddamn I hope its not the GPU.

Just a question, but why is the GPU in the bottom slot?

Could you run the 8 and 6 pins from seperate cables from the PSU?

Ryzen 7 5800X3D, Corsair H105, Gigabyte x570 Aorus Elite, Corsair Vengeance 32GB 3600MHz, EVGA RTX 3070Ti FTW3, Samsung 850 Pro / WD SN850 / OCZ Trion 150

ASUS MG279Q, Corsair Carbide 275R

Did that, according to the pinned post about POST boot issues. Also checked that the Monitor works etc etc.

Only thing I can't try out right now is whether of not the GPU actually works, since I don't have other rigs or buckets of GPUs lying around.

I'm trying to get my old one from my cousin, but goddamn I hope its not the GPU.

Did you try resitting it?

It's really strange. Maybe it's dust on the contacts, idk.

Intel i7 7700K | MSI Z270 Gaming M3 | MSI GTX 1070 Gaming X| Corsair Vengeance LPX 2x8GB DDR4 3000Mhz Samsung EVO 850 250GB | WD Blue 1TB | Corsair CS650M | Thermalright Macho Rev. A | NZXT S340

CM Storm Quickfire TK [MX Blues] | Zowie FK1 |  Kingston HyperX Cloud

Yeah tried that, still nothing.

Im getting a bad feeling about my GPU... oh my oh my.

The GPU is down there because the IO panel goes a bit lower than the actual motherboard, so I couldn't push it in in the table. Now the panel hangs off the sie there. Not optimal, but aint nobody bot money for a real testbench.

Yeah I also resitted it already.

Update: Trier it with an older GTX 560, still not working. F***.

did you try putting it in the top slot?

Ryzen 7 5800X3D, Corsair H105, Gigabyte x570 Aorus Elite, Corsair Vengeance 32GB 3600MHz, EVGA RTX 3070Ti FTW3, Samsung 850 Pro / WD SN850 / OCZ Trion 150

I did now, all 3 available PCIe's.

Are there perhaps any other Power Cables I need to connect? Currently I have the 8pin for the CPU, 24pin for the motherboard itself, 2 6pins for the GTX 560 and one for a HDD. Additionally a SATA from MoBo to HDD of course, and the pin for the CPU fans. That's it I think, am I missing something?

Of course there's also the possibility that I somehow messed up the NH D15 installation and the CPU doesn't work?

Damn I'm getting stressed out, I half hoped my 7970 was just fried and I could buy me one of those GTX 970's and be done with it.

wel....idk, tricky problem. Did your remove the battery from the boaurd and then replace?

both RAM sticks could be bad, i highly doubt it tho but it is possible

Remove the battery? Holy shitsnacks, no. O.o

to bad you dont have onboard graphics, that would help to track it down

Remove the battery? Holy shitsnacks, no. O.o

LOL!!! it just reset the board to factory specs

Waitwaitwait what? Elaborate, please. You lost me completely (feel free to laugh at my noobishness :P)

There is a battery on your board, probably near the center, pop it out and wait a few minutes and put it back in. It resets the board. 

Hmm, as dumb as I feel for not doing it in the first place... I took the battery out,waited a minute or two... But still nothing. :(

Unplug the HDD, shouldnt work but if it does your BIOS screen should show. Also is there a light on your monitor that shows when it has a single? (should blue for yes and maybe yellow for no)

have you still got your old PSU?

Specs 

CPU-Intel I7 4790K- @ 4.5Ghz / Mobo - Asus Maximus Hero VII / GPU - GTX 980 @ 1592MHz / RAM - 16Gb Corsair Vengeance Pro @ 2400Mhz / Cooler - Corsair H105 / SSD - Samsung 250gb 840 EVO / HDD - 2x 2tb Seagate/3x 3tb Seagate / PSU - Corsair RM1000 / Keyboard - Corsair K70 / Mouse - Corsair M65 / Case - Custom Glass panel Corsair Obsidian 750D -  Still saving for upgrades =)

Aha! One thing that I noticed now is when I plug in the HDMI cable, the monitor light goes blue for a sec, waking the screen up, before displaying 'no signal'. So... That's something.

And yes I do have the old PSU, will test with it.

Can you try the DVI connection intead?

Tried the old PSU, nope, still nothing.

DVI doesnt change anything either.

Damn, at this point it can only be the Motherboard/CPU causing the issue, right? I mean I'm basically running the old rig, only difference being the NH D15 instead of the stock cooler.