HDMI bandwidth confusion

Enderman
Go to solution Solved by helping,

just buy your cables off Amazon and buy like 3 different ones, return all but the one that works (or whichever is most expensive if all work)

Hi, I'm confuzzled. Plz halp.

Just fyi, HDMI 2.0 does not require any change in connectors/plugs, they are all backwards compatible.

So a quick google search brings up this on wikipedia:

Version 2.0[edit]

HDMI 2.0, referred to by some manufacturers as HDMI UHD, was released on September 4, 2013.[141]

HDMI 2.0 increases the maximum TMDS per channel throughput from 3.4 Gbit/s to 6 Gbit/s which allows for a maximum total TMDS throughput of 18 Gbit/s.[141][142] This allows HDMI 2.0 to support 4K resolution at 60 frames per second (fps).[141][143][144] Other features of HDMI 2.0 include support for the Rec. 2020 color space, Dual View, 4:2:0 chroma subsampling, 25 fps 3D formats, up to 32 channels of audio, up to 1536 kHz audio, up to 4 audio streams, 21:9 aspect ratio, the HE-AAC and DRA audio standards, dynamic auto lip-sync, improved 3D capability, and additional CEC functions.[141][145][146][147]

So if 2.0 is just an increase in cable bandwidth, why do cables like THIS not support 4k @ 60Hz? It says 18Gbps. (is this the regular thoughput or the TMDS throughput?

Then if 2.0 is 6Gbps (or 18...?) then what the heck is THIS with 27Gbps? HDMI 3.0? lol

I'm just a bit confused because now that both graphics cards and tvs support 4k @ 60Hz over HDMI 2.0, I don't want to buy the wrong cable with low bandwidth to throttle my 60Hz.

Thanks for any help :) I rarely ask for help on this forum...

PS- I have no choice but to go with HDMI for 4k @ 60Hz. TVs don't have the glorious DisplayPort :C

EDIT - Well it seems like if I can't answer my own question, nobody else can...? :\ @helping maybe?

NEW PC build: Blank Heaven   minimalist white and black PC     Old S340 build log "White Heaven"        The "LIGHTCANON" flashlight build log        Project AntiRoll (prototype)        Custom speaker project

Spoiler

Ryzen 3950X | AMD Vega Frontier Edition | ASUS X570 Pro WS | Corsair Vengeance LPX 64GB | NZXT H500 | Seasonic Prime Fanless TX-700 | Custom loop | Coolermaster SK630 White | Logitech MX Master 2S | Samsung 980 Pro 1TB + 970 Pro 512GB | Samsung 58" 4k TV | Scarlett 2i4 | 2x AT2020

just buy your cables off Amazon and buy like 3 different ones, return all but the one that works (or whichever is most expensive if all work)

Error: 410

Lol ok thanks :) Ill do that.

NEW PC build: Blank Heaven   minimalist white and black PC     Old S340 build log "White Heaven"        The "LIGHTCANON" flashlight build log        Project AntiRoll (prototype)        Custom speaker project

Spoiler

Ryzen 3950X | AMD Vega Frontier Edition | ASUS X570 Pro WS | Corsair Vengeance LPX 64GB | NZXT H500 | Seasonic Prime Fanless TX-700 | Custom loop | Coolermaster SK630 White | Logitech MX Master 2S | Samsung 980 Pro 1TB + 970 Pro 512GB | Samsung 58" 4k TV | Scarlett 2i4 | 2x AT2020

On 9/20/2014 at 9:13 PM, Enderman said:

Hi, I'm confuzzled. Plz halp.

Just fyi, HDMI 2.0 does not require any change in connectors/plugs, they are all backwards compatible.

So a quick google search brings up this on wikipedia:

So if 2.0 is just an increase in cable bandwidth, why do cables like THIS not support 4k @ 60Hz? It says 18Gbps. (is this the regular thoughput or the TMDS throughput?

Then if 2.0 is 6Gbps (or 18...?) then what the heck is THIS with 27Gbps? HDMI 3.0? lol

I'm just a bit confused because now that both graphics cards and tvs support 4k @ 60Hz over HDMI 2.0, I don't want to buy the wrong cable with low bandwidth to throttle my 60Hz.

Thanks for any help :) I rarely ask for help on this forum...

PS- I have no choice but to go with HDMI for 4k @ 60Hz. TVs don't have the glorious DisplayPort :C

EDIT - Well it seems like if I can't answer my own question, nobody else can...? :\ @helping maybe?

Any cable should be fine, cables don't have "bandwidth".  There were no changes to the cable spec, any cable that was certified for HDMI 1.4a Category 2 (10.2 Gbps) should work for 2.0.  There is no special HDMI 2.0 cert or speed rating that you need to look for.

On 9/21/2014 at 4:28 PM, Glenwing said:

Any cable should be fine, cables don't have "bandwidth".  There were no changes to the cable spec, any cable that was certified for HDMI 1.4a Category 2 (10.2 Gbps) should work for 2.0.  There is no special HDMI 2.0 cert or speed rating that you need to look for.

Oh, I didn't know that...

How come linus says that DP has higher bandwidth than HDMI and can support 4k @ 60Hz then?

Spoiler

Oh, I didn't know that...

How come linus says that DP has higher bandwidth than HDMI and can support 4k @ 60Hz then?

DisplayPort does have higher bandwidth, but that's not because it uses "high bandwidth cables".  The DisplayPort controllers use a signalling protocol that provides higher bandwidth than the HDMI protocol.

DisplayPort does have higher bandwidth, but that's not because it uses "high bandwidth cables".  The DisplayPort controllers use a signalling protocol that provides higher bandwidth than the HDMI protocol.

Oh ok. So now I just need to make sure the tv and graphics can support HDMI 2.0 and I get 4k 60Hz :)

Thanks for the help.

Spoiler

Cables can limit bandwidth but HDMI 2.0 is designed to be backwards compatible with older cables, as long as your cable meets the HDMI high speed (cat 2) spec it will be fine but if it doesn't (aka its HDMI standard speed - cat 1) you might have some issues.

Both of those cables are high speed though, their advanced high speed and ultimate platinum high speed is just marketing BS and means absolutely nothing from a practical perspective.

Edit: "HDMI 2.0 does not define new cables or new connectors. Current High Speed cables (Category 2 cables) are capable of carrying the increased bandwidth." - http://www.hdmi.org/manufacturer/hdmi_2_0/

Cables can limit bandwidth but HDMI 2.0 is designed to be backwards compatible with older cables, as long as your cable meets the HDMI high speed (cat 2) spec it will be fine but if it doesn't (aka its HDMI standard speed - cat 1) you might have some issues.

Both those cables are high speed though, their advanced high speed and ultimate platinum high speed is just marketing BS and means absolutely nothing.

Thanks, that makes more sense :)

Spoiler