GTX 970 and/or 970 w/ NZXT Kraken G10?

Alberto2345

Hi guys,

Just wanting to know, even though these cards are new, but has anybody tried or knows if the Kraken G10 is compatible with the new graphics cards?

It would be great if it was so later on I could water cool it once I get my new GPU sometime next week!

Thanks.

Hi guys,

Just wanting to know, even though these cards are new, but has anybody tried or knows if the Kraken G10 is compatible with the new graphics cards?

It would be great if it was so later on I could water cool it once I get my new one sometime next week!

Thanks.

Why are you planning on watercooling it with a vastly inferior product? Just buy a real block and a real loop instead.

Why are you planning on watercooling it with a vastly inferior product? Just buy a real block and a real loop instead.

Not everyone can afford a 'real block' and a 'real loop,' and plus some people just prefer the convenience and don't want to spend the time or trouble creating a loop as it can be daunting.  :)

Because he's on a budget and it's probably better than aircooling?

No mention of compatibility on the NZXT website yet and iirc the new Nvidia cards have a slightly different layout than the previous ones but I'm not sure if that would affect G10 compatibility.

Best thing to do is probably keep an eye on this page (Spec section) during the next couple of days:

http://www.nzxt.com/product/detail/138-kraken-g10-gpu-bracket.html

Because he's on a budget and it's probably better than aircooling?

No mention of compatibility on the NZXT website yet and iirc the new Nvidia cards have a slightly different layout than the previous ones but I'm not sure if that would affect G10 compatibility.

Best thing to do is probably keep an eye on this page (Spec section) during the next couple of days:

http://www.nzxt.com/product/detail/138-kraken-g10-gpu-bracket.html

This.

Vastly inferior product? The G10 is fantastic for how little it costs. 40-50C temp drops on R9 290s and 30-40C temp drops for 780s. It costs $30 for the bracket and $50 for an H55.

VRM cooling is not a problem. That whole thing started because people are running Furmark/Kombustor which is a card killer. Just don't run kombustor and VRM temperatures are lower by 20C with the G10 than stock cooling.

"I genuinely dislike the promulgation of false information, especially to people who are asking for help selecting new parts."

@Alberto2345 - You may want to wait and try the GTX 970 with the factory air cooler it comes with. These cards run a lot cooler and draw a lot less power. Some have coolers that are partially passive, which means they are able to cool them without the fans running at idle and low loads.

The G10 may not even be necessary.

My Systems:

Main - Work + Gaming:

Spoiler

Woodland Raven: Ryzen 2700X // AMD Wraith RGB // Asus Prime X570-P // G.Skill 2x 8GB 3600MHz DDR4 // Radeon RX Vega 56 // Crucial P1 NVMe 1TB M.2 SSD // Deepcool DQ650-M // chassis build in progress // Windows 10 // Thrustmaster TMX + G27 pedals & shifter

F@H Rig:

Spoiler

FX-8350 // Deepcool Neptwin // MSI 970 Gaming // AData 2x 4GB 1600 DDR3 // 2x Gigabyte RX-570 4G's // Samsung 840 120GB SSD // Cooler Master V650 // Windows 10

HTPC:

Spoiler

SNES PC (HTPC): i3-4150 @3.5 // Gigabyte GA-H87N-Wifi // G.Skill 2x 4GB DDR3 1600 // Asus Dual GTX 1050Ti 4GB OC // AData SP600 128GB SSD // Pico 160XT PSU // Custom SNES Enclosure // 55" LG LED 1080p TV  // Logitech wireless touchpad-keyboard // Windows 10 // Build Log

Laptops:

Spoiler

MY DAILY: Lenovo ThinkPad T410 // 14" 1440x900 // i5-540M 2.5GHz Dual-Core HT // Intel HD iGPU + Quadro NVS 3100M 512MB dGPU // 2x4GB DDR3L 1066 // Mushkin Triactor 480GB SSD // Windows 10

WIFE'S: Dell Latitude E5450 // 14" 1366x768 // i5-5300U 2.3GHz Dual-Core HT // Intel HD5500 // 2x4GB RAM DDR3L 1600 // 500GB 7200 HDD // Linux Mint 19.3 Cinnamon

EXPERIMENTAL: Pinebook // 11.6" 1080p // Manjaro KDE (ARM)

NAS:

Spoiler

Home NAS: Pentium G4400 @3.3 // Gigabyte GA-Z170-HD3 // 2x 4GB DDR4 2400 // Intel HD Graphics // Kingston A400 120GB SSD // 3x Seagate Barracuda 2TB 7200 HDDs in RAID-Z // Cooler Master Silent Pro M 1000w PSU // Antec Performance Plus 1080AMG // FreeNAS OS

@Alberto2345 - You may want to wait and try the GTX 970 with the factory air cooler it comes with. These cards run a lot cooler and draw a lot less power. Some have coolers that are partially passive, which means they are able to cool them without the fans running at idle and low loads.

The G10 may not even be necessary.

Thanks for all the replys, its been really helpful. 

Ok, so now that I have come to the conclusion that I will get a GTX 970, but I am wanting to know which one I should get?

The MSI twin forzr which is at $519 AUD (link: http://www.pccasegear.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=193_1692&products_id=29086 )

Or the Gigabyte which is at $529 AUD (link: http://www.pccasegear.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=193_1692&products_id=29092 )

The Gigabyte has the higher clock speed, so would it be better just paying the extra $10?

@Alberto2345

Get EVGA. They stand behind their products better than any other company. If something were to go wrong, EVGA has your back.

"I genuinely dislike the promulgation of false information, especially to people who are asking for help selecting new parts."

@Alberto2345

Get EVGA. They stand behind their products better than any other company. If something were to go wrong, EVGA has your back.

They are currently out of stock at the store I want to buy my graphics card at. I don't know when they are going to get any in, but I am alittle impatient to wait to be honest :P

I just went with the Gigabyte card since it has higher clock speeds, I currently have a gigabyte card and have had no problems with it and from reading other posts on the forums, it apparently is a good card to choose.

Thanks for the help everyone!

You might want to wait for others models? Both of these models have the GPU VRM located on the left side of the card and the memory VC on the right side. Your G10 bracket will only cool the memory VC/mosfets/chokes etc... but not the actual components that get hot due to supplying the GPU with voltage. I don't think the VRM will get too hot due to the fact that Maxwell consumes less energy than most, it could still be a concern it you plan on pumping voltage in her. I'm not sure if these new Maxwell has VRM temperature sensors? So there might not be a way to measure temps anyway? You'll know VRM temps are too high when you experience stability issues. Since 970's don't run that hot, you may just want to stick with the air coolers?

GIGABYTE

07_gigabyte_gv-n970g1_gaming-4gd.jpg

MSI 

msi970-9b.jpg

5820K - ASUS X99-A - 16GB Corsair LPX - HD 7970 GHz - Qnix 1440p @ 96Hz - Waiting for Polaris/Pascal