Want to get a console to play with friends

bitdota

I'm thinking about getting an old console to play with friends when they come over. I never owned one 

My friends come over my place and maybe we could play some coop games ( beer + games always fun )

I don't want to play with it solo so i'm not interested in any of those singleplayer games

So i was thinking maybe PS3 is cheap now since ps4 is out. Or maybe i should get a PS2 cuz thats cheap. Both of these secondhand probably 

I do not care about graphics just it has to be fun to play with friends

I'm hardcore PC fan so think about that too :)

If you're into the sort of more casual games, the Wii/Wii U is probably a pretty damn good option.

Normandy - Intel Core i5 3470, 8 GB Corsair Vengenace LP, EVGA GTX 960 SSC, Gigabyte GA-Z77M-D3H-MVP, WD Blue 1 TB, Seagate 320 GB (steam), Seagate 320 GB (experimental, second OS, etc), Windows 8.1 + Ubuntu 14.10

Garrus - HP Stream 11

Some of the best party games are Nintendo games like Mario Kart. You can buy a Wii for dirty cheap on eBay. It's so cheap that you could probably go with both a Wii and Xbox 360. 

I'd say a Wii is a better option, has much more funner games that allows for multiple people. 

CPU: Intel i7 8700K | CPU Cooler: be quiet! Dark Rock Pro 3 | RAM: Kingston HyperX 2x8GB | Motherboard: Asus ROG Z370-E | GPU: MSI GTX 970 | HDD: Seagate Barracuda 1TB & 2TB | SSD: Samsung 840 EVO 250GB & 970 EVO M.2 500GB | Case: Phanteks Enthoo Evolv X | PSU: Silverstone Platinum Strider 1100W | Monitor: AOC i2367Fh | Headphones: ATH-M40X | Mic: Antlion ModMic 4 | Keyboard: Corsair K70 RGB w/ MX Browns | Mouse: Logitech G502 HERO

Make sure you quote or mention the person you're replying to in your comment. Also remember to follow your thread when creating it to get a notification every time someone replies. 

Be nice and have fun. Cheers!

WiiU and mariocart 8 , and all the goodies nintendo will get out , including the new LoZ

I would say n64. Tons of great multi-player games and is very cheap nowadays. It's also a good change of pace going back to older games because games me aren't the same

N64 or xbox 360 :-)

Hardware: Intel I7 4790K 4Ghz | Asus Maximus VII Hero Z97 | Gigabyte 780 Windforce OC | Noctua NH-U12P SE2 | Sandisk Extreme Pro 480GB | Seagate 500Gb 7200Rpm | Phanteks Enthoo Luxe | EVGA Supernova G2 850W | Noctua NF12 | SupremeFX 2014 | Patriot Viper 3 16GB.

Gaming Gear: Cooler Master TK Stealth | Sennheiser PC350SE | Steelseries Rival | LG IPS23L-BN ' 5ms | Philips Brillians 144hz 

I do not care about graphics just it has to be fun to play with friends

That's Nintendo. Price to performance, I would get a Wii.

EDIT: I would also think about your TV. Retro consolse can require extra adapters to work on an HDTV.

If you want to do this on a HDTV around or under 360/PS3 prices? Already narrowed it down to PS2, PS3, 360, Wii and Wii U because of issues with trying to find the right cables. Beyond that I'd argue that PS3, 360 and Wii U then gain a bit of a lead purely because their video out is just plain-old HDMI.

But when it comes to content? Nintendo are the more local-multi friendly platform. Even now when you look at what games people are hyped about on the Wii U it's mostly the local-multi stuff. There's Bayonetta and the new Zelda down the road sure but when I go down the list of games I love and am hyped about on that system? Pretty much all of them have a massive multiplayer component. To the point where if you were to compile a list of the top 10 games for Wii U ATM? Even Before Smash? You'd struggle not to have at least half of them local-multiplayer games. I don't think that's true of any other system.

Fools think they know everything, experts know they know nothing

The Wii and WiiU are more aimed towards party gaming. I'd say get one of those.

Case: Fractal Design Define R4 MB: MSI Z77A-GD55  CPU: i5 3330 OCd to 3.4Ghz CPU Cooler: Corsair H100i RAM: Kingston HyperX Blu 2x8GB @ 1600MHz GPU: Gigabyte GTX 970 G1 Gaming PSU: Seasonic M12II 650W HDD: Two Seagate Barracuda 2TB @ 7200 RPM SSD: Samsung 840 EVO 250GB

Between those I would say wiiu as some of the asymmetrical party games are addicting