best upgrade under $200?

louddifference
Go to solution Solved by GrandBandit,

well, i leave my computer in sleep and i dont mind load times at all. i may get one when they get cheaper, but for now its something in the back of my mind

So you don't want to upgrade the SSD, you don't want to over-clock, you have a pretty great processor and GPU and RAM isn't bad at all (although 16gb total would be an idea). I think you need to re-evaluate what you want from your system and upgrade and then maybe we can help you a bit. But I promise, even a smaller SSD just for the OS will blow you away.

so i have $170 and im thinking to upgrade my pc a bit.

i mostly game, and stream every once in a while

specs:

i5-4670k no OC

8gb 1600 ram

asus z87-a

msi r9 270

corsair tx 850

nzxt phantom 410

rat 5 mouse

old ibm keyboard (its fine for typing, and i game on the orbweaver)

razer orbweaver

2 monitors

what do you guys think?

please dont say cooler, im not looking into OCing right now, so the stock intel one is fine.

Save up some more ($300+) right now there really is nothing than will give you more performance. BTW your ram is probably 1600 (1666 is not a speed you can buy)

SSD?

well, i leave my computer in sleep and i dont mind load times at all. i may get one when they get cheaper, but for now its something in the back of my mind

ssd

The BBQ: i7-4770 / 212x / Tri-X R9 290x 1075/1400 / MSI H87-G43 GAMING / EVGA G2 850W / Corsair Spec 03 / Samsung 840 EVO 250gb SSD / Toshiba 2TB HDD / 8gb Kingston DDR3 1600mhz

Peripherals: G710+ / G502 / Bose Companion 2 Series III / Audio Technica ATH-M40x / Sound Magic E50

Monitors: Dell U2414H 

Another 270?

EDIT: A 3rd monitor for sure.

† TTCF Member † Jesus loves you! Have a good day and stay techie!

Save up some more ($300+) right now there really is nothing than will give you more performance. BTW your ram is probably 1600 (1666 is not a speed you can buy)

what do you recommend once i have that much?

So you don't want to upgrade the SSD, you don't want to over-clock, you have a pretty great processor and GPU and RAM isn't bad at all (although 16gb total would be an idea). I think you need to re-evaluate what you want from your system and upgrade and then maybe we can help you a bit. But I promise, even a smaller SSD just for the OS will blow you away.

13" Macbook Pro i7 (I7-3520M) | 16gb RAM | 128gb Sandisk SSD

Current build------------------------------Future build↓ 
Intel Core i7-4790K 3.5GHz Quad-Core | G.Skill Ripjaws X Series 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3 | Asus GTX 970 Strix | Corsair 450D ATX Mid Tower | EVGA SuperNOVA 750 | MSI Z97-GAMING 5 ATX LGA1150 | 128gb Sandisk SSD | Corsair H90 94.0 CFM Liquid

ok thanks, i think ill just save up and maybe get a 980 or 780(depends on price drops)

specs:

i5-4670k no OC

8gb 1600 ram

asus z87-a

msi r9 270

corsair tx 850

nzxt phantom 410

rat 5 mouse

razer orbweaver

2 monitors

what do you guys think?

please dont say cooler, im not looking into OCing right now, so the stock intel one is fine.

SSD

CPU: Intel Core i7 4790k CPU Cooler: Corsair H100i Chassis/Case: Fractal Design Arc Midi R2  Motherboard: Asus Z87-Deluxe RAM:  Team Vulcan 2x4Gb(2133Mhz)  Video Card: Asus 7970 Direct CU II Custom Rom (150% Power, 1100 core 6Ghz Memory)  Power Supply: Fractal Integra R2 750 Watt  Keyboard: Cooler Master Quick Fire Rapid (MX Blue Switches)  MouseCorsair M90 Storage: SX900 128Gb, Seagate 1TB 7200RPM, WD Green 1TB 7200RPM   MY OLD BUILDLOG

The Fastest 8350 @5.33Ghz with a score of 9.16pts in Cinebench 11.5

SSD

CPU: AMD FX-6300     COOLER: Hyper 212 EVO    MOBO: ASUS M5A97 R2.0    RAM: Team Vulcan 8Gb (4Gb x 2) , G-Skill Sniper (4Gb x 2)    PSU: Rosewill HIVE-750w    GPU: ASUS HD 7790 2Gb OC    CASE: NZXT Phantom 410    STORAGE: WD Black 1Tb , Intel 530 120Gb     AUDIO: HyperX Cloud , Sennheiser HD 518 , Audio Technica ATH-M30 , Sennheiser MM30G , Yamaha RX-V361 , Pioneer SP-BS22     PHONE: Samsung Galaxy S7 Edge     PERIPHERALS: Razer BlackWidow Ultimate Classic , Logitech g502 ( Thanks Syntaxvgm <3 )

Sorry for adding on after its been solved but I saw a gtx 770 for 199.99. Not bad

specs:

i5-4670k no OC

8gb 1600 ram

asus z87-a

msi r9 270

corsair tx 850

nzxt phantom 410

rat 5 mouse

razer orbweaver

2 monitors

what do you guys think?

You could take 70 bucks and buy a decent 120gig ssd.

If you then want to boost your gaming performance, you could sell your r9 270, save up a bit more and get a gtx 970.

CPU -AMD R5 2600X @ 4.15 GHz / RAM - 2x8Gb GSkill Ripjaws 3000 MHz/ MB- Asus Crosshair VII Hero X470/  GPU- MSI Gaming X GTX 1080/ CPU Cooler - Be Quiet! Dark Rock 3/ PSU - Seasonic G-series 550W/ Case - NZXT H440 (Black/Red)/ SSD - Crucial MX300 500GB/ Storage - WD Caviar Blue 1TB/ Keyboard - Corsair Vengeance K70 w/ Red switches/ Mouse - Logitech g900/ Display - 27" Benq GW2765 1440p display/ Audio - Sennheiser HD 558 and Logitech z323 speakers

If you have another PCIe slot you can get another 270. If your 2 monitors are the same size/resolution then you could get a third one to do eyefinity.

Try to save to get a second 270, if you can't then try to sell the 270 and get yourself an gtx 970.

If still don't feel like doing this neither, you might get a 258gb ssd for about $100~. However this won't impact gaming experience but it will definitely impact your general computing experience by making the computer faster and snappy. It's a great update.

Well its up to you.

Ssd and why you have such an overkill psu

it was a killer deal at the time. ill really never have to get a new one unless im going 3+ sli