AMD FX-8120 Upgrade

Paul_the_Hutt

Please see this topic ( http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/210954-pc-build-help/) for more insight into why I started this upgrade. Long story short, I've been wanting to for awhile and I found some good deals and lots of help from everyone here.

I'm changing the CPU and GPU with an AMD FX-8350 CPU, an MSI GTX 760, and a Corsair h100i. I'm debating on changing to a couple of Corsair SP120s for the radiator but I'm not sure yet.

This is whats inside now...

Case (NZXT Phantom 410 Gaming Case - White))

Processor (AMD FX-8120 CPU (8x 3.10GHz/8MB L2 Cache)))

Motherboard (Gigabyte GA-970A-UD3 -- AMD 970))

Memory (8 GB [4 GB X2] DDR3-1600 Memory Module - G.Skill Ripjaws X))

Video Card (AMD Radeon HD 7850 - 2GB - Single Card))

Case Lighting (Cold Cathode Neon Light - Blue))

Power Supply (500 Watt - Corsair CX500 V2))

Processor Cooling (Certified CPU Fan and Heatsink))

Primary Hard Drive (1 TB HARD DRIVE -- 32M Cache, 7200 RPM, 6.0Gb/s - Single Drive))

Secondary Hard Drive (1 TB HARD DRIVE -- 32M Cache, 7200 RPM, 6.0Gb/s - Single Drive))

Optical Drive (24X Dual Format/Double Layer DVD±R/±RW + CD-R/RW Drive - Black))

post-124310-0-65780000-1411131476.jpg

post-124310-0-35889100-1411131456_thumb.

post-124310-0-16553300-1411131467_thumb.

post-124310-0-20157800-1411131475_thumb.

These are some of the before and after shots of the GPUs as well as the testing stuff. 

fNhvVGY.jpg

rt4YplE.jpg

aA6cW9l.jpg

tcdYlqj.jpg

EBDA1Fm.jpg

rsuMNEq.jpg

no it's a Noctua NH-8i LP

Is that a stock cooler...

That is indeed the stock cooler right out of the box.

Oh. Okay thanks. 

Just in case you were wondering that is still the old FX-8120 too, I have the new one but I'm waiting on the H100i to get here before I install it.

Just in case you were wondering that is still the old FX-8120 too, I have the new one but I'm waiting on the H100i to get here before I install it.

still looks pretty epic with the lighting

Please follow your topics guys, it's very important! CoC F.A.Q  Please use the corresponding PC part picker link for your country USA, UK, Canada, AustraliaSpain, Italy, New Zealand and Germany

also if you find anyone with this handle in games its most likely me so say hi

still looks pretty epic with the lighting

I tried Watch Dogs again with just the new gpu, it ran with it on ultra until the cpu got too hot, then the frame rate really dropped or at least that's what I think happened. Is there any way to monitor that kind of stuff while I'm running the game to see whats throttling? CoreTemp? MSI Afterburner maybe?

I tried Watch Dogs again with just the new gpu, it ran with it on ultra until the cpu got too hot, then the frame rate really dropped or at least that's what I think happened. Is there any way to monitor that kind of stuff while I'm running the game to see whats throttling? CoreTemp? MSI Afterburner maybe?

was the cpu the only thing getting hot or was the gpu too and i want that rgb led strips soo bad

Please follow your topics guys, it's very important! CoC F.A.Q  Please use the corresponding PC part picker link for your country USA, UK, Canada, AustraliaSpain, Italy, New Zealand and Germany

was the cpu the only thing getting hot or was the gpu too and i want that rgb led strips soo bad

I don't know about when I was playing the game but I did a FurMark test right after I put in the GPU and the CPU fan was screaming, but the temps were safe I think. 

fNhvVGY.jpg

I don't know about when I was playing the game but I did a FurMark test right after I put in the GPU and the CPU fan was screaming, but the temps were safe I think. 

fNhvVGY.jpg

yea the h100i would fix that

For my next build or major overhaul I want the same case but black, and I'm going to put those in. The theme I want to go for is black and red to match my car, but I still want to be able to change the colors whenever I wan't without it looking stupid so nothing overboard.

fNhvVGY.jpg

once the h100i comes you should overclock the balls out of it

yea the h100i would fix that

42 C on a cpu doesn't seem like it would be enough to make it throttle though, of course I don't know what it was doing when I was in game, just the test. I seem to remember most of the CPUs linus and party test under load are in the 50 to 60 range.

For my next build or major overhaul I want the same case but black, and I'm going to put those in. The theme I want to go for is black and red to match my car, but I still want to be able to change the colors whenever I wan't without it looking stupid so nothing overboard.

yea that will be nice

once the h100i comes you should overclock the balls out of it

42 C on a cpu doesn't seem like it would be enough to make it throttle though, of course I don't know what it was doing when I was in game, just the test. I seem to remember most of the CPUs linus and party test under load are in the 50 to 60 range.

The CPU or the GPU?

The CPU or the GPU?

both but mainly the cpu as with amd that could hold you back until we see direct x 12 which has lower level api

both but mainly the cpu as with amd that could hold you back until we see direct x 12 which has lower level api

I was thinking of overclocking it but shouldn't I wait until its broken in some? 

Ran the game again on high settings until the FPS started to drop bad. The CPU was running at around 60 on the tail end, gpu was about the same but peaked at 70, I think it is the cpu throttling itself down but I'm not sure.

Ran the game again on high settings until the FPS started to drop bad. The CPU was running at around 60 on the tail end, gpu was about the same but peaked at 70, I think it is the cpu throttling itself down but I'm not sure.

amds temp for throttling is 85c you should waut for your new 100i

amds temp for throttling is 85c you should waut for your new 100i

I am, that was still with the old 8120 I just wanted to run the game with the new GPU for awhile and see what it could do. If the throttle temps are set for 85 then there's no reason for the frame drop after some in game time, I wonder what the problem is then.

I am, that was still with the old 8120 I just wanted to run the game with the new GPU for awhile and see what it could do. If the throttle temps are set for 85 then there's no reason for the frame drop after some in game time, I wonder what the problem is then. 

What clockspeed is it at while this happens