Gaming Keyboard and mouse for a first time PC gamer

mememo

Hi all i have being a PC gamer for a long time I'm building a rig for my cousin at the moment while i could build a PC in my sleep at this stage i know next to nothing about keyboards and mice . Soo now for the question =) what would be a good keyboard and mouse for a new gamer his 14 so nothing too large and the PC im building has a heavy red black theme . His budget is around €70-100 and he will mostly be playing FPS i would really appreciate some recommendations

The only difference between a politician and a criminal in patience . A criminal will try to take everything immediately where as a politician known to take it one small piece at a time

I believe I saw your tweet on the live stream but any who!

What things do you think your cousin will need in a mouse? This is a a pretty important question as there are literally endless types of mice with 2 buttons, 4, 10, you name while some even include features like adjustable sizes and flashy lights. If your cousin is also playing a lot of FPS games he would probably also prefer a mouse that has no acceleration nor prediction to maintain good aim in games. The Razer Deathadder is a decent mouse, so be it a little large but after checking out PC World Ireland it seems way more pricey than it should. It's available for around £55 on Overclockers.co.uk. Otherwise, the mouse I recommend a whole lot is the Logitech G400. The mouse is also pretty large and is made for right handed gamers but the sensor is flawless and the shape is one that a lot of people love. The amount of mice there are countless. Just stay away from mice coined high end gaming and you should be good on this one. The G400 can be found on Amazon for £30.

In terms of the keyboard, I always recommend going Mechanical on this one and you can get the Cooler Master Quickfire Rapid, which is one of the cheaper Mechanical keyboards currently on the market that is pretty decent. It's just a standard keyboard however, not really with any extra features apart from some media hot keys on the Function button. It is however quite hefty in terms of costs which could take up most of the budget at around £60. I personally would always go mechanical over any other gaming based keyboard but if you don't want to, a great budget gaming keyboard (membrane) is the Microsoft Sidewinder x4(can't remember the exact name).

Is this the real life? Or is this just fantasy?

If you ever need help with a build, read the following before posting: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/3061-build-plan-thread-recommendations-please-read-before-posting/
Also, make sure to quote a post or tag a member when replying or else they won't get a notification that you replied to them.

lol yes that was my tweet ithanks for all the great info and quick responces i think ill go with the Microsoft Sidewinder x4 and the G400 as they are well inside his price range . While i would like to get him a Mechanical keyboard i dont really think he needs it and at the moment im trying squeeze in a 250GB ssd rather than a 120 so every little bit helps

The only difference between a politician and a criminal in patience . A criminal will try to take everything immediately where as a politician known to take it one small piece at a time

The Sidewinder X4 is a great choice.

Backlit, good anti-ghosting (something between 11 to 26 key-rollover), lots of features, reasonable price.

I am currently using the following: 

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Microsoft-JQD-00006-Sidewinder-X4-Keyboard/dp/B0037KLSS8/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1370194640&sr=8-1&keywords=Sidewinder+X4

and for my mouse: 

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Gigabyte-GM-M6800-Dual-Gaming-Mouse/dp/B0083EZE4M/ref=sr_1_1?s=computers&ie=UTF8&qid=1370194675&sr=1-1&keywords=M6800

I play a lot of FPS games and both these items are built nice and feel as if they are going to last. I would highly recommend them for a first time PC gamer.

I can recommend the Corsair K70 $130 USD and CM Quickfire TK $90-$100 USD, I have both.  I'd recommend Ducky but that board alone would prob run you 100 Euros and they are harder to find in your neck of the woods.  For mouse, the M65 is most nice and the one I currently use.  The price on that however is $60 USD.

My Stuff:  Corsair Obisidan 550D - Phobya Nano-2G 120mm x 5 - Corsair H100i - MSI Z77A-GD65 Gaming - Intel 3570K - G.Skill 8GBx2 1866 - EVGA ACX GTX 780 3GB SuperClocked(Step Up to 780 Ti) - Samsung 840 500GB SSD - WD Black 1TB x 2 - LG Blu-ray - ASUS VG248QE + ASUS PB278Q - Corsair M65 with MM400 Pad - Ducky Shine II MX Brown with Gray/White Keycaps - Corsair K70 MX Red - CoolerMaster Quickfire TK MX Brown - Ducky Pro2 MX Blue with Gray PBT Keycaps - Ducky Pro2 MX Clears with Gray/Blue PBT Keycaps - Ducky Pro2 MX Browns with Light Gray and White PBT Keycaps

I made a mistake when I first got into PC gaming. I didn't know mechanical keyboards existed and I was using a membrane for 2 years. Just got the Quickfire TK with Brown switches and I'm overjoyed with it. Definitely look into seeing which switch is best for you and go with a mechanical keyboard.

Steelseries 6GV2 is a good one for black switches
Quickfire TK is good for red, blue and brown switches (not biased, I swear ;))
Also look in Corsairs line of keyboards. They are good too ^^

Corsair 300r Case with OCZ ZT 750W PSU | Intel Core i5-3570K 3.4GHz Quad-Core Processor | Asus P8Z77-V LGA1155 Motherboard | Corsair Vengeance 8GB (2 x 4GB) | OCZ Vertex 4 120GB 2.5" Solid State Disk
Western Digital Caviar Black 1TB HDD | AMD Sapphire 7770 Vapor-X 1GB Video Card | 2 Acer S220HQL 22" monitors |
Microsoft Windows 7 Home Premium 64bit | CM Storm Quickfire TK Cherry MX Brown | Razer Deathadder 3500dpi

The budget is too small for a mechnical. Get a reasonable membrane keyboard and spend more on the mouse. Getting a good mouse is more important for FPS games anyway.

Cooler master mechanical keyboards could be in your price range if you look around.

Try looking at foreign websites though, this country is a rip-off when it comes to tech like this.

I saw a K60 at my local maplin being sold for 110€. I could buy a filco for an extra 40 euro online!

Cooler master mechanical keyboards could be in your price range if you look around.

Try looking at foreign websites though, this country is a rip-off when it comes to tech like this.

I saw a K60 at my local maplin being sold for 110€. I could buy a filco for an extra 40 euro online!

Yep ireland is a Total ripoff for computer parts i almost never buy locally i usuallly order from scan , hardwareversand or Amazon =)

Thanks for all the help everyone he ended up ordering the sidewinder X4 and the Corsair m65(because it looked cool) lol well he is 14 i also ended up getting the G600 for myself i have no impulse control when it comes to tech =(

Thanks for all the help everyone he ended up ordering the sidewinder X4 and the Corsair m65(because it looked cool) lol well he is 14 i also ended up getting the G600 for myself i have no impulse control when it comes to tech =(

Good choices, I own an X4 myself as a backup keyboard and it's great for it's price.

Good stuff.  The M65 was an adjustment for me, took a couple days but now it feels like a regular appendage  :lol:

My Stuff:  Corsair Obisidan 550D - Phobya Nano-2G 120mm x 5 - Corsair H100i - MSI Z77A-GD65 Gaming - Intel 3570K - G.Skill 8GBx2 1866 - EVGA ACX GTX 780 3GB SuperClocked(Step Up to 780 Ti) - Samsung 840 500GB SSD - WD Black 1TB x 2 - LG Blu-ray - ASUS VG248QE + ASUS PB278Q - Corsair M65 with MM400 Pad - Ducky Shine II MX Brown with Gray/White Keycaps - Corsair K70 MX Red - CoolerMaster Quickfire TK MX Brown - Ducky Pro2 MX Blue with Gray PBT Keycaps - Ducky Pro2 MX Clears with Gray/Blue PBT Keycaps - Ducky Pro2 MX Browns with Light Gray and White PBT Keycaps