Upgrading from 2600k, need advice

Go to solution Solved by Maverik5124,

So more or less what I'm getting is don't buy Haswell until we see real benches and if I can get the same or higher OC.  For what I need (Higher threaded performance), go 2011 which was obvious over what AMD has to offer.  I don't plan to change out my GPU's anytime soon since they blow everything I have out of the water with ease, they are 680 Lightnings of course.  I wouldn't mind going Water cooling, but my case and the fans I am using keep the computer even under real heavy load very cool.  So I think I am better off atm saving up for a 2011 board and possibly for a Ivy-E CPU when they do come out.

Exactly :D

So I plan on getting a 4770k when it is released, still haven't picked out a board but I may go with the MSi Z87-GD65 (since the new ASUS boards look real fugly with that gold :angry: ), and color out the red for yellow because of my dual MSi 680GTX Lightnings.

So onto the question and current specs:

CM HAF-X

2600k @ 5.1GHz (1.52v)

H60 in Push/Pull (Stock / CM Sickleflow)

ASUS P67 Pro mobo

Corsair Vengeance 32gb @ 1800Mhz (4x8gb)

2x MSi 680GTX Lightnings

SeaSonic x850w

2x 128gb SSD's (OCZ V3, Kingston HyperX 3k)

1tb & 2tb Seagate Barracuda

Now the question may be pretty obvious, is it worth "sidegrading" to the 4770k (based on leaked benches) from my current setup?  I would be replacing the cooling solution obviously to probably an H80i or H90.  It is more or less to get PCi-E 3.0 even though I don't really need it due to some threads I have read on here and OCN showing that current cards still can't push 2.0 to it's limits.  I'm also worried about the issues that have cropped up about sleep issues I think it was with the Haswell chipset, sounds familiar to the SB problems.  I do alot of gaming, but I am also a Level Designer (UDK), do alot of Photoshop work, and mess around in other heavy threaded programs.  I'm not a huge fan of AMD offerings, haven't been since the Athlon 64 days honestly (Not an Intel fanboy, just know performance.)

I don't have the money to pony up for a 2011 board and get a 3930k/3960x sadly or I would do that in a heartbeat.  Some of the work I have been doing lately, even in just Photoshop, has been bogging down my rig mainly due to lighting effects on some of the work I'm working on.  So threaded performance is an issue I am guessing, and from what I have seen, again leaked, the Haswell chips haven't been doing much better than Ivy which is a real sidegrade to what I have.  My current computer would be going to my dad for his fractal work he likes doing since his laptop can't handle the workload even though it's current gen.

Sorry for the long winded post, any advice would be appreciated!

I dont see a point in upgrading a 5.1jigahertz 2600k to a 4770k. there is not much of a performance benefit.

But for me it would be interesting what temps you currently get with that heatsink on your cpu! :D

Gaming HTPC:

R5 5600X - Cryorig C7 - Asus ROG B350-i - EVGA RTX2060KO - 16gb G.Skill Ripjaws V 3333mhz - Corsair SF450 - 500gb 960 EVO - LianLi TU100B

Desktop PC:
R9 3900X - Peerless Assassin 120 SE - Asus Prime X570 Pro - Powercolor 7900XT - 32gb LPX 3200mhz - Corsair SF750 Platinum - 1TB WD SN850X - CoolerMaster NR200 White - Gigabyte M27Q-SA - Corsair K70 Rapidfire - Logitech MX518 Legendary - HyperXCloud Alpha wireless

Boss-NAS [Build Log]:
R5 2400G - Noctua NH-D14 - Asus Prime X370-Pro - 16gb G.Skill Aegis 3000mhz - Seasonic Focus Platinum 550W - Fractal Design R5 - 
250gb 970 Evo (OS) - 2x500gb 860 Evo (Raid0) - 6x4TB WD Red (RaidZ2)

Synology-NAS:
DS920+
2x4TB Ironwolf - 1x18TB Seagate Exos X20

Audio Gear:

Hifiman HE-400i - Kennerton Magister - Beyerdynamic DT880 250Ohm - AKG K7XX - Fostex TH-X00 - O2 Amp/DAC Combo - 
Klipsch RP280F - Klipsch RP160M - Klipsch RP440C - Yamaha RX-V479

Reviews and Stuff:

GTX 780 DCU2 // 8600GTS // Hifiman HE-400i // Kennerton Magister
Folding all the Proteins! // Boincerino

Useful Links:
Do you need an AMP/DAC? // Recommended Audio Gear // PSU Tier List 

with a 2600K at 5.1GHz there is really no need for a faster CPU Oo

i would sell the 2 680s and get 2 780s, cost the same but gives you more FPS :D

I dont see a point in upgrading a 5.1jigahertz 2600k to a 4770k. there is not much of a performance benefit.

Unless he overclocked that to 5.1GHz.

"It pays to keep an open mind, but not so open your brain falls out." - Carl Sagan.

"I can explain it to you, but I can't understand it for you" - Edward I. Koch

If you really need multi-threaded performance, get an fx8350.

That is what I would do :)

Proud to be from Belgium.

Personally I don't think it's really worth the upgrade, in terms of CPU heavy operations it would trim off some seconds but you have to ask yourself if it is really worth the cash for said seconds.

On a side note how do you keep that thing cool at 5Ghz using just a H60 :/

I would wait and safe some money for a 2011 rig or try to find one second hand. i have a 3570k in my lan/ office rig and a 3930k in my main gaming and edeting rig. 

or wait until the haswell cpu's are on the market and you know if there is a preformence upgrade or that it's a side grade.

I've heard that a student can say anything he/she wants

You probably won't get a chip that will overclock as good as your 2600k. So even though at the same clocks it would be faster you would probably end up with the same performance because of the lower possible overclock

EDIT: Yes the performance improvement over ivy bridge is only ~10%. But remember that ivy bridge had a 5%-10% performance improvement over sandy bridge as well.

Keep the 2600K.

"It pays to keep an open mind, but not so open your brain falls out." - Carl Sagan.

"I can explain it to you, but I can't understand it for you" - Edward I. Koch

You have a fine 2600k.  I can only do 4.4ghz, with 4.5ghz temps a little too high for my tastes.  Hopefully, I'll be upgrading when Broadwell comes out.       

Dude, I would keep that 2600k. Unless you know you can get a 4770k to 5.1 (but why bother when you already have it), it wouldn't be worth.

Corsair 300r Case with OCZ ZT 750W PSU | Intel Core i5-3570K 3.4GHz Quad-Core Processor | Asus P8Z77-V LGA1155 Motherboard | Corsair Vengeance 8GB (2 x 4GB) | OCZ Vertex 4 120GB 2.5" Solid State Disk
Western Digital Caviar Black 1TB HDD | AMD Sapphire 7770 Vapor-X 1GB Video Card | 2 Acer S220HQL 22" monitors |
Microsoft Windows 7 Home Premium 64bit | CM Storm Quickfire TK Cherry MX Brown | Razer Deathadder 3500dpi

Well I don't need more graphics performance so I'm doubt I'm going to upgrade my 680's to 780's, what I need is more thread performance I think.  Just how much of a downgrade (if any) would it be going from the 2600k to say the FX-8350.  Like I said I'm not a huge fan of what AMD has to offer processor wise, but if I can't afford a 2011 board + CPU, then would the FX be a better choice?

Upgrading from this would be a waste. If you can keep a 2600 at 5GHz+ stable, keep it, just upgrade the GPU. If you waited till Haswell you'd have to buy a new Motherboard along with the CPU.

I would keep the 2600k because this is still a pretty good cpu once you overclock it. Upgrade to Haswell if you are starting to find your applications doesn't meet your expectations and want faster speeds. I would wait for the benchmarks of these programs and see if the improvement is much before deciding whether or not to upgrade.

Hello and Welcome to LTT Forum!

If you are a new member, please read the rules located in "Forum News and Info". Thanks!  :)

Linus Tech Tips Forum Code of Conduct           FAQ           Privacy Policy & Legal Disclaimer

No need since you most likely will get the exact same performance or possibly less depending on how it overclocks.

you have the same chip as Slick and he said it on the livestream today that he isn't in the slightest bit interested in upgrading.

He has done benchmarks, don't bother upgrade. Spend the money on aesthetics or more GPU horsepower.

The first step to insanity is believing in your sanity.

you have the same chip as Slick and he said it on the livestream today that he isn't in the slightest bit interested in upgrading.

He has done benchmarks, don't bother upgrade. Spend the money on aesthetics or more GPU horsepower.

Or water cooling

So more or less what I'm getting is don't buy Haswell until we see real benches and if I can get the same or higher OC.  For what I need (Higher threaded performance), go 2011 which was obvious over what AMD has to offer.  I don't plan to change out my GPU's anytime soon since they blow everything I have out of the water with ease, they are 680 Lightnings of course.  I wouldn't mind going Water cooling, but my case and the fans I am using keep the computer even under real heavy load very cool.  So I think I am better off atm saving up for a 2011 board and possibly for a Ivy-E CPU when they do come out.

Exactly :D