Hi, I am trying to decide a monitor for PS4

jchang

Hi,

I am trying to get a monitor for PS4.

One is ASUS VX228H Black 21.5" 1ms GTG
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16824236358

And another one is Acer H6 Series H226HQLbid Black 21.5" 5ms GTG

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16824009484&cm_re=H226HQLbid-_-24-009-484-_-Product

ASUS has faster responsive time and non glare screen.
ACER has slower responsive time but has better screen quality, yes it has glare.

I am leaning towards Acer monitor but,
If you were to choose a monitor for PS4 gaming,
what monitor would you choose??

P.S: This monitor will be used for my PS4 Laptop Project I am working on... ^^

Acer 

"My opinion is that your opinion is wrong." - AlwaysFSX    CPU I5 4690k MB MSI Gaming 5 RAM 2 x 4GB HyperX Blu DDR3 GPU Asus GTX970 Strix,  Case Corsair 760T Storage 1 x 120GB 840EVO 1 x 1TB WD Blue, 1 x 500GB Toshiba  

The cave/beast v2 (OLD) http://imgur.com/a/8AmeH                                  PSU 600W Raidmax RX600AF Displays ASUS VS278Q-P x2, BenQ Xl2720z Cooling Dark Rock 3, 4 AP120s Keyboard Logitech G710+ Mouse Razer Deathadder 

Choose the Acer, the panel itself will look much better.

Main Rig: CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 5800X | RAM: 32GB (2x16GB) KLEVV CRAS XR RGB DDR4-3600 | Motherboard: Gigabyte B550I AORUS PRO AX | Storage: 512GB SKHynix PC401, 1TB Samsung 970 EVO Plus, 2x Micron 1100 256GB SATA SSDs | GPU: EVGA RTX 3080 FTW3 Ultra 10GB | Cooling: ThermalTake Floe 280mm w/ be quiet! Pure Wings 3 | Case: Sliger SM580 (Black) | PSU: Lian Li SP 850W

Server: CPU: AMD Ryzen 3 3100 | RAM: 32GB (2x16GB) Crucial DDR4 Pro | Motherboard: ASUS PRIME B550-PLUS AC-HES | Storage: 128GB Samsung PM961, 4TB Seagate IronWolf | GPU: AMD FirePro WX 3100 | Cooling: EK-AIO Elite 360 D-RGB | Case: Corsair 5000D Airflow (White) | PSU: Seasonic Focus GM-850

Miscellaneous: Dell Optiplex 7060 Micro (i5-8500T/16GB/512GB), Lenovo ThinkCentre M715q Tiny (R5 2400GE/16GB/256GB), Dell Optiplex 7040 SFF (i5-6400/8GB/128GB)

The acer monitor, anything under 7ms latency isnt noticeable as humans have an average reaction speed of 7ms, thats recorded via the Olympic official rules.

Unless you want placebo effects everywhere, quality wins here.

cpu: intel i5 4670k @ 4.5ghz Ram: G skill ares 2x4gb 2166mhz cl10 Gpu: GTX 680 liquid cooled cpu cooler: Raijintek ereboss Mobo: gigabyte z87x ud5h psu: cm gx650 bronze Case: Zalman Z9 plus

Listen if you care.

Cpu: intel i7 4770k @ 4.2ghz Ram: G skill  ripjaws 2x4gb Gpu: nvidia gtx 970 cpu cooler: akasa venom voodoo Mobo: G1.Sniper Z6 Psu: XFX proseries 650w Case: Zalman H1

I recommend the Acer, it may have a slower response time but I think the quality and glare of the screen is more important, especially for your PS4 I recommend the Acer.

RIG:  CPU: Intel Core i5-4690K CPU Cooler: Corsair H80i Motherboard: ASRock Fatal1ty Z97 Killer ATX Memory: G.Skill Ripjaws Series 8GB Storage: Seagate Barracuda 1TB Internal HDD SSD: Samsung 840 Series 120GB 2.5" SSD Video Card: Zotac GeForce GTX 970 4GB Video Card Case: Corsair 780T PSU: NZXT HALE82 850W 80+ Bronze Monitor: LG 34UM95-P Keyboard: Steelseries Apex Keyboard Mouse: Razer Taipan Mouse Mat: Razer Vespula Sound: Cyber Acoustics CA-3090, Corsair Vengeance 2100 :  1998.40 Euro

Don't need speakers? 

I wont need speakers because generally, speakers in monitor is worthless,

and I will have speaker system. Thus, don't need monitor speaker.

I wont need speakers because generally, speakers in monitor is worthless,

and I will have speaker system. Thus, don't need monitor speaker.

Ah, just making sure you're covered there haha.

From those two listed, I'd honestly go with ASUS since Acer's build quality is pretty crappy. You should also note that the Acer monitor has an external power brick, so you'll need to fit that into your laptop chassis as well.

Ah, just making sure you're covered there haha.

From those two listed, I'd honestly go with ASUS since Acer's build quality is pretty crappy. You should also note that the Acer monitor has an external power brick, so you'll need to fit that into your laptop chassis as well.

Both ASUS and ACER monitor has external power brick.

External power brick is must for me because when building PS4 laptop, having smaller power supply is always better.

If it wasnt external power brick, size of the power supply unit inside the monitor will be outrageous... hahaha

Definitely the Acer, just becuase it's IPS, and the 5ms won't be noticeable.

The acer monitor, anything under 7ms latency isnt noticeable as humans have an average reaction speed of 7ms, thats recorded via the Olympic official rules.

That would mean the reaction would be a minimum of 14ms (7ms of the monitor, plus average 7ms reaction speed)...

Definitely the Acer, just becuase it's IPS, and the 5ms won't be noticeable.

That would mean the reaction would be a minimum of 14ms (7ms of the monitor, plus average 7ms reaction speed)...

well crap

cpu: intel i5 4670k @ 4.5ghz Ram: G skill ares 2x4gb 2166mhz cl10 Gpu: GTX 680 liquid cooled cpu cooler: Raijintek ereboss Mobo: gigabyte z87x ud5h psu: cm gx650 bronze Case: Zalman Z9 plus

Listen if you care.

Cpu: intel i7 4770k @ 4.2ghz Ram: G skill  ripjaws 2x4gb Gpu: nvidia gtx 970 cpu cooler: akasa venom voodoo Mobo: G1.Sniper Z6 Psu: XFX proseries 650w Case: Zalman H1

Both ASUS and ACER monitor has external power brick.

I am looking at the ASUS and Newegg's pictures don't show a power brick...but a reviewer does say it, weird. But this isn't the first time Newegg's pictures have been misleading!

Off-topic: I have a Dell u2312hm and it looks as thin as the ASUS and Acer and my monitor has an internal power brick!

Either way, best of luck to you and I hope to see this somewhere here on LinusTechTips! Maybe in the buildlogs?

I am looking at the ASUS and Newegg's pictures don't show a power brick...but a reviewer does say it, weird. But this isn't the first time Newegg's pictures have been misleading!

Off-topic: I have a Dell u2312hm and it looks as thin as the ASUS and Acer and my monitor has an internal power brick!

Either way, best of luck to you and I hope to see this somewhere here on LinusTechTips! Maybe in the buildlogs?

Yup, When I am done with the project, it sure will go to BuildLog... ^^