New R9 290?

Mandhlenkhosi

Hey guys. So, everybody's talking about the new GTX 900 series, but not about the R9 300 series much D:

My question is, would it be better to get another R9 290 and crossfire it, or just wait for the next line of AMD gpus?

Thanks guys!

-

If you have an R9 290, it would be stupid to change it so early, not to mention the performance increases with the next gpu series probably won't be significant. The second R9 290 is the way to go if you want more.

Welcome to the forum! Please remember to follow your topics so you're notified when someone answers :)

Don't ask to ask, just ask... please 🤨

sudo chmod -R 000 /*

If you have an R9 290, it would be stupid to change it so early, not to mention the performance increases with the next gpu series probably won't be significant. The second R9 290 is the way to go if you want more.

Welcome to the forum! Please remember to follow your topics so you're notified when someone answers :)

Exactly what @Sauron said. You couldn't Xfire your 290 with a 390, so you might as well keep with the 290, Sell it (if you want to) or Xfire 290's. The performance margin would be limited so I'd personally stick with what you have. As Sauron mentioned, it'd be dumb to change so early.

NCASE M1 i5-9600k  GTX 1080 FE Z370N-WIFI SF600 NH-U9S LPX 32GB 960EVO

I'm a self-identifying Corsair Nvidia Fanboy; Get over it.

probably better to get a second 290 and crossfire, also hasnt been mentioned on the forums much as we basically have no information (even rumored info) about it

CPU: i7 8700k Motherboard: MSI Z370 Krait Gaming RAM: 4x 8GB Corsair Vengeance Pro (2 white, 2 black) GPU: MSI RTX 2070 Armor Case: Corsair Crystal 570x White HDD: 2x 2TB Seagate Barracuda 7200rpm Sata 3 SSD: 240GB Corsair Force 3 + 500GB Samsung 970 Evo Cooling: Corsair Hydro Series™ H150i PSU: Corsair RM750i OS: Windows 10 Pro 64-Bit

Mouse: Logitech G600 Keyboard: Corsair K95 RGB Cherry MX Brown Monitor: Samsung S24C570L 1080p 23.6" + AOC AGON 240Hz 1080p Sound: HyperX Cloud Headset Black/Red + Logitech Z213 Speakers 2.1

Throwing in a second card wouldn't be a bad idea. Generations only improve performance buy 10-20%, which is nothing major and something to upgrade over, plus older cards usually drop a little bit in price.

The reason no one is talking about the R9 3XX series is because there aren't any "leaks" about the cards, only from Nvidia.

Thanks for all the replies guys. I was wondering about the 300 series now that so much new tech is being released. I was thinking about a mass upgrade with DDR4 memory, a new X99 mobo and I7 5930K cpu, but I think you guys are right in keeping my current card and xfiring it.

Thanks guys!

PS. Thanks for the nice replies :)

Hey guys. So, everybody's talking about the new GTX 900 series, but not about the R9 300 series much D:

My question is, would it be better to get another R9 290 and crossfire it, or just wait for the next line of AMD gpus?

Thanks guys!

I hope the R9 300 series GPUs are better than the Nvidia 900 GPUs while costing less and producing less heat than the R9 200 series. AMD could use a good boost and Nvidia could do with a good slap.

A water-cooled mid-tier gaming PC.

I hope the R9 300 series GPUs are better than the Nvidia 900 GPUs while costing less and producing less heat than the R9 200 series. AMD could use a good boost and Nvidia could do with a good slap.

Agreed. I've always found Nvidia to be way to expensive for what you get, unlike AMD, who has great bang for your buck. But, if rumours are to be blieved, the reference R9 390X will be come watercooled like the R9 295x2. They've released screenshorts too which is great!

Agreed. I've always found Nvidia to be way to expensive for what you get, unlike AMD, who has great bang for your buck. But, if rumours are to be blieved, the reference R9 390X will be come watercooled like the R9 295x2. They've released screenshorts too which is great!

I need to know the whole story before i think it is great. I really want AMD to pull ahead of Nvidia and give us consumers a really killer range of products for a really good price but i also want beast OCing and temperatures for me to say this is great.

I need to know the whole story before i think it is great. I really want AMD to pull ahead of Nvidia and give us consumers a really killer range of products for a really good price but i also want beast OCing and temperatures for me to say this is great.

I little extra heat is not the end of the world or your GPU but what gives when you are getting more performance. Think not about heat but about what kind of performance you are getting for the money. That said the aftermarket cooled radeon cards like the Vapor-x are even cooler than nvidia's offering so there's that.

I little extra heat is not the end of the world or your GPU but what gives when you are getting more performance. Think not about heat but about what kind of performance you are getting for the money. That said the aftermarket cooled radeon cards like the Vapor-x are even cooler than nvidia's offering so there's that.

I don't think that "i little extra heat is the end of the world" but unlike you and your cohorts, i can not think of GPU performance without considering the feature set, heat output and wattage draw, those two things are also a contributing factor to the overall performance of the GPU or any component. Performance is not just FPS(which is mainly referred to as the GPUs power) wow look i can get 120fps from this GPU but i need a to have it on water or i need to have a PSU with many watts.

The Vapor-X cooler will cool better than Nvidia two fan solutions as it has three fans instead of two but on water, which is what i prefer to have mine on, the Nvidia GPUs range from 36C to 40C and the AMD gpus are more like 60C as one of your good buddies kept pointing out to me in our last interaction where you said "Leonard is not the smartest name" ha ha.... hahahaha....ha ha.

I don't think that "i little extra heat is the end of the world" but unlike you and your cohorts, i can not think of GPU performance without considering the feature set, heat output and wattage draw, those two things are also a contributing factor to the overall performance of the GPU or any component. Performance is not just FPS(which is mainly referred to as the GPUs power) wow look i can get 120fps from this GPU but i need a to have it on water or i need to have a PSU with many watts.

The Vapor-X cooler will cool better than Nvidia two fan solutions as it has three fans instead of two but on water, which is what i prefer to have mine on, the Nvidia GPUs range from 36C to 40C and the AMD gpus are more like 60C as one of your good buddies kept pointing out to me in our last interaction where you said "Leonard is not the smartest name" ha ha.... hahahaha....ha ha.

So many flaws in your opinions it's hard to tackle them all at one time. "nvidia gpus range from 36c to 40c" according to you ok well that's extreme vagueness and a terrible claim besides being ill informed.

just stay with a single 290.

i dont know which resolution you are playing?

But for 1080p its kinda pointless to crosfire a second 290.