1080p through VGA input

seiny
Go to solution Solved by Peter Vaughan Truslow,

There must be something I can do? Besides a new monitor of course

I mean on a monitor that only has VGA, the best possible image for the monitor is through VGA, so go for it. if I was buying a new monitor I would guy something with HDMI, DVI, or preferrably DIsplayPort, but for a free monitor you can't really complain.

If I had a decent LCD laying around that was only VGA, I would probably use it as a secondary screen.

Is it negative in any way to use the VGA input instead of say DVI on a 1080p monitor?

The most common result of insufficient wattage is a paperweight that looks like a PC

Is it negative in any way to use the VGA input instead of say DVI on a 1080p monitor?

Some snobs will say it's bad. But honestly I have two monitors side by side right now. One using dvi the other vga, both using 1080p. I see hardly any difference. There will be many posts saying otherwise, just try it for yourself and see what you think.

Edit- 1500 posts, woot!

My Rig :  Case: Cooler Master HAF X ,Motherboard: Gigabyte Z87X-UD3H,PSU: Seasonic SS-750KM3,Processor: Core I7 4770k (overclocked 4.7ghz),Cooler: Corsair H100i, GPU: EVGA GTX 780 with acx cooler, RAM: G.Skill Ripjaws 16gb DDR3 1600 (overclocked to 2000mhz), HDDS  Samsung 840 EVO 250 gb SSD , Western digital  2tb 7200 rpm 64mb cache, Old 1tb laptop drive I had , 320gb for os backup daily, 80gb external for weekly backups,Drives 2x Lg Blu Ray burner WH16MS40,MISC: Tp-Link dual band wireless card, Logitech g510s, Razer Deathadder 2013, Acer G236HLBbd 23" monitor, Old tv I had 23" for secondary monitor, old 32" samsung tv third monitor

It worked for me, i didn't see difference between HDMI and VGA in 1080p. 

CPU: i7 - 2600kGPU: GTX 1070Mobo: intel somethingRAM: Corsair XMS3 @1600Mhz (8GB)SSD: Crucial MX100 256GB. HDD: WD Green 1TB . Case: Cooler Master HAF XB EVO Monitors: LG 25UM65-P and Benq 2200HD Keyboard: Corsair vengeance K70 FPS Red switch. Mouse: Logitech G502 Proteus Core. Headset: Steelseries Siberia V2

contrast ratio is terrible and bad color reproduction is what i noticed when I personally tried it out.

mY sYsTeM iS Not pErfoRmInG aS gOOd As I sAW oN yOuTuBe. WhA t IS a GoOd FaN CuRVe??!!? wHat aRe tEh GoOd OvERclok SeTTinGS FoR My CaRd??  HoW CaN I foRcE my GpU to uSe 1o0%? BuT WiLL i HaVE Bo0tllEnEcKs? RyZEN dOeS NoT peRfORm BetTer wItH HiGhER sPEED RaM!!dId i WiN teH SiLiCON LotTerrYyOu ShoUlD dEsHrOuD uR GPUmy SYstEm iS UNDerPerforMiNg iN WarzONEcan mY Pc Run WiNdOwS 11 ?woUld BaKInG MY GRaPHics card fIX it? MultimETeR TeSTiNG!! aMd'S GpU DrIvErS aRe as goOD aS NviDia's YOU SHoUlD oVERCloCk yOUR ramS To 5000C18

may just be me, but when my GPU is at full load and displaying through VGA, I get weird distortion, but when I output through HDMI, it's fine.

1080p over a VGA works fine, but you shouldn't use it. Always use a digital connection if you can.

Well this monitor I have only has VGA out plus I kinda got it for free so I can't exactly complain

The most common result of insufficient wattage is a paperweight that looks like a PC

may just be me, but when my GPU is at full load and displaying through VGA, I get weird distortion, but when I output through HDMI, it's fine.

1080p over a VGA works fine, but you shouldn't use it. Always use a digital connection if you can.

Another thing is the display doesn't look so great, how do I optimize it? it's looking a little dull and washed out on windows 7

The previous PC it was on was windows 8 and there was no problem, looked good, saturated

The problem is that analogue connections like VGA can be influenced by many things, the signal is never perfect and the image quality and accuracy can easily be degraded depending on the cable length and quality. On a digital connection that is not case, the signal arrives and is interpreted as intended.

Think about how stupid this sounds... your graphics card generates a digital signal which it then has to convert to analogue so that it can be sent over VGA, then your monitor has to re-convert it back into digital so that it can process the image and display it. Wouldn't it be better if it was just sent digitally in the first place?

VGA is analog RGB, so cable and connector quality often have a detrimental effect on color accuracy. you get what is called "crosstalk" between color channels sometimes, especially as cable lengths increase, adapters are used, or connectors wear out.

HDMI, DVI, DIsplayPort etc. are all Digital connection where VGA is analog.

with digital the difference between a 1 and a 0 is very obvious and a bit of interference will have no effect. on VGA transmitting 8 bit color, 244 and 245 are not so different and interference may cause the color accuracy to falter.

VGA will carry 1080p signal but it is less than ideal because it's analog nature allow interference to play a part in the signal so color accuracy is held back.

conversions between analog and digital are almost always lossy, so converting twice is twice as lossy, as your GPU and Monitor are digital(unless you are using a CRT)

The problem is that analogue connections like VGA can be influenced by many things, the signal is never perfect and the image quality and accuracy can easily be degraded depending on the cable length and quality. On a digital connection that is not case, the signal arrives and is interpreted as intended.

Think about how stupid this sounds... your graphics card generates a digital signal which it then has to convert to analogue so that it can be sent over VGA, then your monitor has to re-convert it back into digital so that it can process the image and display it. Wouldn't it be better if it was just sent digitally in the first place?

VGA is analog RGB, so cable and connector quality often have a detrimental effect on color accuracy. you get what is called "crosstalk" between color channels sometimes, especially as cable lengths increase, adapters are used, or connectors wear out.

HDMI, DVI, DIsplayPort etc. are all Digital connection where VGA is analog.

with digital the difference between a 1 and a 0 is very obvious and a bit of interference will have no effect. on VGA transmitting 8 bit color, 244 and 245 are not so different and interference may cause the color accuracy to falter.

VGA will carry 1080p signal but it is less than ideal because it's analog nature allow interference to play a part in the signal so color accuracy is held back.

conversions between analog and digital are almost always lossy, so converting twice is twice as lossy, as your GPU and Monitor are digital(unless you are using a CRT)

Ran VGA 1080p for 4 years, now I'm running DVI 1080p for the past year. No difference to be honest (except that the new monitor is LED) but VGA does give very good quality up to 2m of cable length. At 5m or more you will notice quite a bit of degradation in quality.

"For the love of what you believe in, don't use VGA" -Linus Seb.

|EVGA 850 P2| |1440p PG279Q| |X570 Aorus Extreme| |Ryzen 9 3950x WC| |FE 2080Ti WC|TridentZ Neo 64GB| |Samsung 970 EVO M.2 1TB x3

|Logitech G900|K70 Cherry MX Speed|  |Logitech Z906 |  |HD650|  |CaseLabs SMA8 (one of the last ones made)

Here's something: I recently tried to hook up a 1080p TV to a PC trough VGA and it only went up to 720p. :mellow: After that I used HDMI and it displayed all 1080 of the p's.

- Now with added  WUB WUB -

"For the love of what you believe in, don't use VGA" -Linus Seb.

Did you even read the thread?

I mean on a monitor that only has VGA, the best possible image for the monitor is through VGA, so go for it. if I was buying a new monitor I would guy something with HDMI, DVI, or preferrably DIsplayPort, but for a free monitor you can't really complain.

If I had a decent LCD laying around that was only VGA, I would probably use it as a secondary screen.

Here's something: I recently tried to hook up a 1080p TV to a PC trough VGA and it only went up to 720p.

That's normal, tv's normally don't scale well when connecting to pc's and it may be your tv is not full 1080p

That's normal, tv's normally don't scale well when connecting to pc's and it may be your tv is not full 1080p

You quoted me before I got to add more info.  :P It's full 1080p. After the VGA I used a HDMI cable and it worked normally, at 1080p.

- Now with added  WUB WUB -

The best thing you can do without upgrading your monitor is use a short (not excessively long) good quality VGA cable.

You quoted me before I got to add more info.  :P It's full 1080p. After the VGA I used a HDMI cable and it worked normally, at 1080p.

Fine :rolleyes:

The best thing you can do without upgrading your monitor is use a short (not excessively long) good quality VGA cable.

What should I be looking for? I have a 1 meter (approx) standard cable that came bundled with a monitor

My monitor doesn't have a DVI port. And my GPU only has DVI ports. I'm using a DVI-to-VGA adapter. I guess it can't get worse than that, can it?

I can do everything I need without a problem. However, my laptop screen is so much brighter than my monitor. I guess it has to do with the technology of the new screens though...

CPU: Intel Core i7-4790k | CPU Cooler: Noctua NH-D15 | Motherboard: ASUS Sabertooth Z97 MARK 1 | Memory: Kingston HyperX FURY 16GB 1866MHz | GPU: Gigabyte GeForce GTX 770 4GB Windforce

Storage: Samsung 840 EVO | PSU: CM Silent Pro 720W | Case: Phanteks Enthoo Luxe | Headset: Corsair Vengeance 2100 | Keyboard: Logitech G710+ | Mouse: Razer DeathAdder Chroma

"You see, one can only be angry with those he respects." - R. Nixon

My monitor doesn't have a DVI port. And my GPU only has DVI ports. I'm using a DVI-to-VGA adapter. I guess it can't get worse than that, can it?

I can do everything I need without a problem. However, my laptop screen is so much brighter than my monitor. I guess it has to do with the technology of the new screens though...

I've been wondering about that as well, it's like the laptops are brighter and clearer and these monitors have a brownish look on white pages

I've been wondering about that as well, it's like the laptops are brighter and clearer and these monitors have a brownish look on white pages

I guess we've just not been using really good monitors so laptops look so good to us, haha!

CPU: Intel Core i7-4790k | CPU Cooler: Noctua NH-D15 | Motherboard: ASUS Sabertooth Z97 MARK 1 | Memory: Kingston HyperX FURY 16GB 1866MHz | GPU: Gigabyte GeForce GTX 770 4GB Windforce

Storage: Samsung 840 EVO | PSU: CM Silent Pro 720W | Case: Phanteks Enthoo Luxe | Headset: Corsair Vengeance 2100 | Keyboard: Logitech G710+ | Mouse: Razer DeathAdder Chroma

"You see, one can only be angry with those he respects." - R. Nixon