CPU problems... AGAIN!

Alright, so I don't know about you, but in the past year, I've been having bad experiences with AMD.

I'd like to share a little story before I ask about solutions to my problem.

>Shortly after I bought my custom gaming PC, my AMD R9 270X had issues where ever there was a load on the GPU, my monitor would start flashing then it would say

"Video card has stoped working and has successfully been recovered"

(Default clocks btw, didn't touch anything)

And so it kept saying that, then I went to NCIX and then they replaced it with a 4gb vram version. Now it's fine.

>2 months after my corsair H80i pump failed, and my system let turning off because of it. They replaced that too.

>the following month my AMD 9370 went unstable (didn't tinker with the cloaks or anything)

As I was running Prime95, some of the cores gave out. NCIX replaced that too.

Do you see a pattern here? Yes, mostly AMD parts failing and then I have to take it back to get it fixed, it's unbelievable. I knew if I got a custom gaming PC, it'd have problems but not these many.

AMD has NOT been reliable for me. Period. I deeply regret buying an AMD product.

>Okay, so now, NCIX replaced it with a 9590, (default clocks) and the cores are giving out on that too, I'm getting about 65-69degrees Celcius under load.

I decided to run it the second time, and it crashed.

I'm tired of taking it to NCIX, and wanting to try to fix it myself, any suggestions?

Case: Thermaltake Core V71 CPU: AMD RYZEN 7 1700X (overclocked to 4.1Ghz) Cooling: Corsair H110i GT(Push-Pull config) Motherboard: Gigabyte's Aorus AX370 AM4 K7 RAM: G.SKILL 2800Mhz 32GB GPU:  GEFORCE GTX 1080 (SLI) from Gigabyte Storage: Kingston 3K 240GB (main boot drive) Crucial M500 SSD, WD 2TB Green, 100GB HD(As backup) PSU: Sseasonic X Series 850W Gold

b1

Case: Thermaltake Core V71 CPU: AMD RYZEN 7 1700X (overclocked to 4.1Ghz) Cooling: Corsair H110i GT(Push-Pull config) Motherboard: Gigabyte's Aorus AX370 AM4 K7 RAM: G.SKILL 2800Mhz 32GB GPU:  GEFORCE GTX 1080 (SLI) from Gigabyte Storage: Kingston 3K 240GB (main boot drive) Crucial M500 SSD, WD 2TB Green, 100GB HD(As backup) PSU: Sseasonic X Series 850W Gold

Well what power supply/Motherboard do you use? an old/bad one can treat parts harshly. Beyond that, I'm not sure what kind of help you're looking for.

What case do you have?

The most common result of insufficient wattage is a paperweight that looks like a PC

My custom PC that I build myself never had a problem, because I use Intel and Nvidia parts.

Is the PSU maybe killing some parts? check in the bios what the voltages are.

Intel 4790k | Asus Z97 Maximus VII Impact | Corsair Vengeance Pro Series 16 GB 1866Mhz | Asus Strix GTX 980 | CoolerMaster G550 |Samsung Evo 250GB | Synology DS215j (NAS) | Logitech G502 |

Well what power supply do you use? an old/bad one can treat parts harshly. Beyond that, I'm not sure what kind of help you're looking for.

I use a Sseasonic 850W Gold.

It's not really old.

What case do you have?

Thermaltake Core v71

I have 2 200MM Coolermaster Mega's at the front and 2 200MM Coolermaster Mega's at the top. A lot of airflow.

Thermaltake Core v71

I have 2 200MM Coolermaster Mega's at the front and 2 200MM Coolermaster Mega's at the top. A lot of airflow.

Well then it may be just bad luck, but hey warranty is valid so there's no real issue

The most common result of insufficient wattage is a paperweight that looks like a PC

I use a Sseasonic 850W Gold.

It's not really old.

It doesn't matter that it isn't really old and it doesn't matter if it is made by SeaSonic who I think you were trying to refer to.  In order to know if the psu is working properly you have to take some readings from it.

Too many ****ing games!  Back log 4 life! :S

Well then it may be just bad luck, but hey warranty is valid so there's no real issue

Yea, I'm just really tired going back and fourth.

From where I live the NCIX store (closest one) is VERYA far away, it's about a 2 hour drive to get there and another 2 for coming back.

I was hoping if the this forum could've helped me out and saving me a trip.

It doesn't matter that it isn't really old and it doesn't matter if it is made by SeaSonic who I think you were trying to refer to. In order to know if the psu is working properly you have to take some readings from it.

Never done this before, could you give me advise on what to do?

Well first of all your gpu being unstable has nothing to do with AMD unless it is an AMD OEM card. So go ahead and blame the manufacturer for that, not AMD. Second you running your 9370 on a dead h80 for 2 months pushing it to it's thermal limits to the point of power cutoff to avoid serious damage is the reason that became unstable as quick as it did. And lastly max operating temps for FX series is 61C so I'm going to go ahead and guess that you are overheating your 9590 also..........

Sky Pollution | i5 3570k @4.8Ghz | MSi z77a g45 | MSi GTX 770 Gaming 2gb | Samsung 840 Evo 250gb, Samsung OEM 500gb HDD | Corsair CX750m | Corsair 760t White Edition |
Corsair M95 | SuperLux 668b's | Logitech C615 | ViewSonic VX2250wm | Random OEM keyboard until I rage break it and grab another random OEM keyboard from my pile.
Build Log: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/186413-sky-pollution-my-white-760t-build-rebuildupgrade/

Well first of all your gpu being unstable has nothing to do with AMD unless it is an AMD OEM card. So go ahead and blame the manufacturer for that, not AMD. Second you running your 9370 on a dead h80 for 2 months pushing it to it's thermal limits to the point of power cutoff to avoid serious damage is the reason that became unstable as quick as it did. And lastly max operating temps for FX series is 61C so I'm going to go ahead and guess that you are overheating your 9590 also..........

Well my H80i pump died right away actually. Didn't happen over time.

And my 9590 is well under its thermal limits of 85 degrees threshold, so it should be fine regardless.

Well you have to use a multimeter and I have been shown how to use one before but have been deathly afraid to do it.

Okay, thanks!

And my 9590 is well under its thermal limits of 85 degrees threshold, so it should be fine regardless.

read the voltages in the bios!

Intel 4790k | Asus Z97 Maximus VII Impact | Corsair Vengeance Pro Series 16 GB 1866Mhz | Asus Strix GTX 980 | CoolerMaster G550 |Samsung Evo 250GB | Synology DS215j (NAS) | Logitech G502 |

read the voltages in the bios!

1.3750 for the North bridge Voltage.

I don't know where in the hell you got that 85c number from but FX series cpu's have had a 61c max safe operating temp for YEARS. Unless you can literally post of a picture of the manual of your 9590 showing that the temps can go up to 85 or an official link from AMD then you're wrong and have been severely overheating your cpu's.

Edit* and past 70c is when the chips will start to throttle themselves. FYI

Sky Pollution | i5 3570k @4.8Ghz | MSi z77a g45 | MSi GTX 770 Gaming 2gb | Samsung 840 Evo 250gb, Samsung OEM 500gb HDD | Corsair CX750m | Corsair 760t White Edition |
Corsair M95 | SuperLux 668b's | Logitech C615 | ViewSonic VX2250wm | Random OEM keyboard until I rage break it and grab another random OEM keyboard from my pile.
Build Log: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/186413-sky-pollution-my-white-760t-build-rebuildupgrade/

1.3750 for the North bridge Voltage.

and 5 and 12 volts?

This is very funny , I always had amd products that never gave up on my , I have a 32 mb ram Rage ati (I don't think it was bought by amd by that time ) a Sempron 26000+ 1.6 ghz , Sempron 3000+ 1.8 ghz and still working . I don't think amd is the problem here , check the psu with a multimeter .

> I have approximate knowledge of many things <

I don't know where in the hell you got that 85c number from but FX series cpu's have had a 61c max safe operating temp for YEARS. Unless you can literally post of a picture of the manual of your 9590 showing that the temps can go up to 85 or an official link from AMD then you're wrong and have been severely overheating your cpu's.

Edit* and past 70c is when the chips will start to throttle themselves. FYI

Where I got that 85Degree number from

Is at a point where your system will shut off because the temperature on your processor is at or exceeded 85Degrees.

In order to protect it-self, the system will turn off.

AMD has set the number to 85 degrees on the processor side, before the system shuts down.

I am well below that number, is what I am trying to say.

Where I got that 85Degree number from

Is at a point where your system will shut off because the temperature on your processor is at or exceeded 85Degrees.

In order to protect it-self, the system will turn off.

AMD has set the number to 85 degrees on the processor side, before the system shuts down.

I am well below that number, is what I am trying to say.

That isn't how it works, 85c is the temp that the damn cpu shuts itself down so IT DOESN'T CATCH FIRE OR EXPLODE, or as I already said SERIOUS DAMAGE. The MAX OPERATING TEMP FOR FX SERIES CHIPS IS 61C, PERIOD NO IF ANDS OR BUTS.

If you disagree with me then do as I said and take a pic of your manual saying otherwise or an official amd page saying otherwise. If not then listen to me, you are overheating your damn cpu which is what is causing the instability. You need to lower your volts down so the point your h80 can keep it at 61c and below under load. This may also require you to lower your clocks. I suggest using stock 8350 settings.

My custom PC that I build myself never had a problem, because I use Intel and Nvidia parts.

Is the PSU maybe killing some parts? check in the bios what the voltages are.

Don't be a fanboy please. There's no use for that. AMD GPU's are very reliable. And Intel/Nvidia also fail.

That isn't how it works, 85c is the temp that the damn cpu shuts itself down so IT DOESN'T CATCH FIRE OR EXPLODE, or as I already said SERIOUS DAMAGE. The MAX OPERATING TEMP FOR FX SERIES CHIPS IS 61C, PERIOD NO IF ANDS FOR BUTS.

If you disagree with me then do as I said and take a pic of your manual saying otherwise or an official amd page saying otherwise. If not then listen to me, you are overheating your damn cpu which is what is causing the instability. You need to lower your volts down so the point your h80 can keep it at 61c and below under load. This may also require you to lower your clocks. I suggest using stock 8350 settings.

This guy is right OP. I've actually heard that the max temperature is 55°C. Replace your cooler, and undervolt it a bit. Linus has a guide on it.

It is said, that civilised man seeks out good and intelligent company, so that through learned discourse he may rise above the savage and closer to God. Personally, however, I like to start the day with a total dickhead to remind me I'm best! 

does it help to try to lower the voltage just to get those temps down, or does it get unstable right away? Because that cpu seems awfully hot

does it help to try to lower the voltage just to get those temps down, or does it get unstable right away? Because that cpu seems awfully hot

I'll try lowering the voltages with the help of Linus' guide.